Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
benlau
Enthusiast
benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
[Linux & Windows] PRS Note Reader v0.2 released

Hi,

The PRS Note reader v0.2 is released. It is a open source software that could read .note format used in Sony reader. It could also convert the .note file to svg/txt file. The v0.1 release could only be run on Linux , but this time the v0.2 release has already included a windows installer. (v0.3 should have Mac support)

Changelog:
- Ported to windows
- Supported to go to first / last page by 'home' and 'end' keys
- Supported page removal

Screenshot:

Project Site:
http://launchpad.net/prsnotereader

Windows binary:
http://code.google.com/p/prsnotereader/downloads/list

Ubuntu Packages:
https://launchpad.net/~benlau/+archive/ppa

Ubuntu Installation:

You may download the .deb file from the site above , or add the following source repository to your APT.

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/benlau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
Then run
Code:
sudo apt-get install prsnotereader
Enjoy it.

Last edited by benlau; 02-26-2011 at 11:48 PM.
benlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Excellent. Karma for you and more to come when the mac version is released

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
wifish
SONY FAN
wifish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
happy new year,
and it's a very interesting application,thanks
wifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
wifish
SONY FAN

but it don't work on XP.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
benlau
Enthusiast
benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifish View Post
but it don't work on XP.
What is the error message?
Old 01-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
wifish
SONY FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlau View Post
What is the error message?
i setuped this application ,and i didn't config anyting, at the last i run it ,but get an error dialogue box,that is it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	873
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	42309  
Old 01-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
ordialn
ordialn began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
Hi !

Very usefull software !! Now i can edit my handwritten drawing with Inkscape.

And it works for me on Windows XP.

Thanks !

__________________________________________________ ______________________

my web :

http://sites.google.com/site/ordialn/

Last edited by ordialn; 01-07-2010 at 12:45 PM.
ordialn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #8
benlau
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifish View Post
i setuped this application ,and i didn't config anyting, at the last i run it ,but get an error dialogue box,that is it:
I have no idea how to fix the problem of "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. " yet.

However , an alternative solution to fix this problem is to install Calibre. It will setup your system , then PRS Note Reader should be able to run.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
...when the mac version is released...
Hmm, not really a Python guy, but this looks like it may just compile in a Mac with minimal work. If I get a chance I'll have a fumble through the source and see. I wouldn't hold your breath though...
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #10
benlau
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGeometry View Post
Hmm, not really a Python guy, but this looks like it may just compile in a Mac with minimal work. If I get a chance I'll have a fumble through the source and see. I wouldn't hold your breath though...
Great to hear that

Let's me summarize the current problem of Mac porting.

PRS Note reader use python-qt4 as the GUI library. And according to this article "· How to make standalone OS X application bundles from PyQt apps using py2app". It can not build dmg by using py2app with built-in python. It must use the python from macports.

Moreover , python-qt4 do not have any pre-built binary available. So I think it should build python-qt4 using macports. But unfortunately that due to #22926 . qt4-mac was broken, and therefore I can not continue the porting.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlau View Post
Great to hear that

Let's me summarize the current problem of Mac porting.

PRS Note reader use python-qt4 as the GUI library. And according to this article "· How to make standalone OS X application bundles from PyQt apps using py2app". It can not build dmg by using py2app with built-in python. It must use the python from macports.

Moreover , python-qt4 do not have any pre-built binary available. So I think it should build python-qt4 using macports. But unfortunately that due to #22926 . qt4-mac was broken, and therefore I can not continue the porting.
Ahh, I'll probably wait awhile then, before even looking at this. Thanks for the info.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
ripdajacker
ripdajacker began at the beginning.

SVG format

The .note files are simple SVG files, and I am working on a note editor in java. It also reads standard svgs. Look (just found a pic on the net, am not fan of the jets):

ripdajacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@benlau: py2app works perfectly well with the python downloaded from python.org, that's how calibre was built for a long time before I worte my custom replacement for py2app
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
benlau
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@benlau: py2app works perfectly well with the python downloaded from python.org, that's how calibre was built for a long time before I worte my custom replacement for py2app
How about QT and Python QT? Using the QT SDK from nokia and build python qt from source?
Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
benlau
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdajacker View Post
The .note files are simple SVG files, and I am working on a note editor in java. It also reads standard svgs. Look (just found a pic on the net, am not fan of the jets):

Good! In fact , I have considered to write a convertor of svg to .note format in the beginning of the project.

btw, anybody is working on a reader of the annotation format?