Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #691
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My "weekly weigh-in" this morning shows that I'm now below 16st for the first time: 15st 12lbs. A significant "milestone" for me .

Keep it up!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #692
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My "weekly weigh-in" this morning shows that I'm now below 16st for the first time: 15st 12lbs. A significant "milestone" for me .
For some reason I'm getting this mental picture of you using a "Flintstones" scale - piling rocks on one side to weigh yourself!

Congrats! Keep up the trend!

[If I remember correctly, Virginia Woolf believed that if she weighed more than 7st, she wouldn't be able to write.]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #693
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had to look up the weight of 'one stone.' I know that in the UK, you use pounds and ounces as well as the metric system, but why 'stone' for body weight?

Stitchawl
Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #694
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Reading how Harry switched between kilos and pounds and stones made me think that the English have a little advantage in motivation: they almost always have a milestone ahead of them!
I guess the next one is in kilo: breaking 100 and getting two-digit again!?

My latest "success" is measured in another currency: a pair of trousers that slides down to the bottom and another one that I fit into again!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #695
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I had to look up the weight of 'one stone.' I know that in the UK, you use pounds and ounces as well as the metric system, but why 'stone' for body weight?
We are basically a metric country, but a few "old" things have stuck, and among those are measuring your weight in stone and pounds (1st = 14lb). I don't know why - just one of those things (like measuring road distances in miles, although everything else is in metres). Everyone in the UK knows at least approximately what they weigh in stone; I doubt that 1 in 100 would know it in kg. Perhaps it's different for kids, who are taught only the metric system - I don't know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #696
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Stone is a useful bodyweight measure because the numbers are small for typical body weights.

Although I do now track my own weight in kg (72.3kg this morning), if I convert that to imperial (11 stone, 5 pounds) I have a better 'feel' for it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #697
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I grew up using feet, inches, pounds and ounces. They tried to give us the metric system but there was so much resistance, it was abandoned after the first year's efforts. I knew that a meter was a bit more than a yard, and a kilo... well... as a child of the 60's we all knew what a kilo weighed...

Then I moved to Asia, where it's ALL metric. In Japan, meats are sold in 100gm units. Distances and speeds are all kilometers. And surprisingly, I had no trouble switching my thinking. These days I think metrically. Even scuba diving... I figure my depth in meters and my tank pressures in bars. But... Altitude... I simply can not think of mountains in anything other than feet! No trouble with my physical height in meters or centimeters, but mountains? Gotta be in feet! Go figure!

Stitchawl
Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 AM   #698
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Stone is a useful bodyweight measure because the numbers are small for typical body weights.

Although I do now track my own weight in kg (72.3kg this morning), if I convert that to imperial (11 stone, 5 pounds) I have a better 'feel' for it.
Same here. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I fill in my weight every Saturday morning in stone and pounds. It then converts it to kg, and draws a graph . Last week's was an abnormally large loss (I went from 16st 4 to 15st 12 in a week), largely because I had a rather upset stomach (too much detail - I know ), so I'm expecting it to go above 16 again this week (but hopefully not back up to 16st 4). We'll see. I deliberately only weigh myself once a week.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #699
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am dieting, well not this week. This week I am recovering from walking pneumonia so I am not going to the gym. I am watching what I eat but I am not aiming to lose a pound this week.

So I am using the Live Strong app and webpage to track my food. I set my start weight, my goal weight, and enter my current weight every Monday. It gives me a number of calories I should shoot for based on my height, age, and goal weight.

Right now it is about 1,400 calories a day plus whatever I burn at the gym.

So far I have dropped 6 pounds in about a month. I confirmed it at the Doctors office on Monday when I went in for the wlaking pneumonia.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #700
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
I'm going to try to eat more healthier come the new years since the holidays and lovely holiday dinners are coming up pretty quickly. I'd like to cut down on junk food, and (ever so slightly) cut down on my beloved Coke and Pepsi.
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #701
Stitchawl
Opsimath

So near, yet so far away...

Today I reached 84kg on the button... I tried to pee to lower my weight just enough to see 83.9 but it just wasn't gonna happen. I guess I have to take another walk!

Stitchawl
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #702
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I tried to pee to lower my weight just enough to see 83.9 but it just wasn't gonna happen.

Stitchawl
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does that!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #703
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I did it! I did it! I did it! I did it! I did it! I did it! I did it! I did it! I did it!

Today the scale read 83.4kg!

I wanted to bust 84 by the end of the weekend, so we walked and walked... It worked!

Stitchawl
Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #704
Stitchawl
Opsimath

82.3kg this morning!!!!! I can't believe it! But I'm sure gonna keep on walking, climbing the stairs, and eating less. But there is only 10 more days until the new year. I don't think I'm going to make it down to 80kg by then... 2kg in 10 days? Nah... I don't think so.. BUT I'M GOING TO TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stitchawl
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #705
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Congratulations!