Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
To buy or not to buy

I just can't make up my mind. Anyone out there who wants to sell me on a Vox? I have a touch already and I love it.

Sarah
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
It is a cool device but as an e-reader the touch is much better. As a generalized device the vox works well. I use mine mostly for colour books, reading comics, and playing games. The kids love it and have been using it more than me.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I'd suggest, in all honesty, that you try it out in the store. It's much easier to get an idea if you want it or not if you have some time to play with it.

Also look at what you're doing and what you need - do you need the ability to read eBooks in the dark without an extra light? Will you be wanting to read books that are in color or are graphic-heavy, or are PDF's? Do you want something that'll let you do some web browsing and video watching? Are the social aspects of Kobo Pulse interesting to you?

I'd also suggest examining your reading habits - if all you're doing is novels, you have a booklight, and you won't be browsing the web or watching a lot of video, nor reading magazines or anything with a lot of pictures involved you probably don't need the Kobo Vox, especially not if you've got a tablet you like and use regularly. If you are interested in reading books in color, with a lot of graphics like magazines, want to read PDF files on the go, or want something that can ALSO browse the web - and share recommendations on what else to read based on what other people are reading - then you may want to pick up a Kobo Vox to play with.

If you're interested in a cheap tablet for eBook reading that has a great screen... definitely look at the Kobo Vox, unless you've got a Kindle Fire on preorder. But if you're not in the U.S., or won't have regular Internet access, you may want to get the expandable Vox anyways.
Haesslich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
You know, I felt the same way about my Kobo WiFi. My mental conversation went something like this: My Kobo WiFi isn't broken. You don't NEED it to read your books. But, then again, with the Vox, I could read my magazines, listen to audiobooks, and read some really nice colour books - either for myself or for my kids.

It's not meant to replace your KT - it's meant to supplement it! And it's a good back-up in case your KT screen goes haywire and you need to part with it for a few weeks while the screen is being fixed/replaced.

I'd say GO FOR IT! There's a lot of other stuff you can do with it, but I find I am still reading, despite the fact that I like my Kobo WiFi better.

It's funny, because when I've read my Kobo WiFi, I felt like I was watching a black and white TV instead of the nice colour one - LOL! Still like it better though, for reading. The Vox is taking some getting used to for novels...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Okay pokee, you convinced me. Its charging now

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
James likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
Okay pokee, you convinced me. Its charging now

S
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
To keep or not to keep

So - I bought 2 last week for birthday gifts for my sisters.

Gave one last week, big success. (or big flop not sure yet but she hasn't complained to me at least).

Other sister's birthday is today. Having used the Android now for a week, I'm not sure it's right for her. She has an iPhone plus a Blackberry for work, so one more portable device might not thrill her. iOS is so much easier to deal with than Android, even if I set everything up just right. And unlike my other sister, no teenagers around for IT support. So, instead I'm going to get her a KT, case, & light for the same price or a touch less (pun intended).

So. Now I have a device I can return to Best Buy ... or I can keep it. I certainly don't NEED it - I have an iPhone that I would never be without, an iPad2 that I use daily, a laptop for work, and a netbook for travel. However. I am learning about Android, and as a developer that might be useful (don't have an Apple, can't get iOS developer kit). And well it's cool. And I can follow what you lovely people are saying in this Vox-specific forum. And that would mean we have all Kobo products in our house. (except the original I returned for battery reasons) And I could read in the dark without the weight of the iPad.

What to do, what to do (I'll get my husband's input but he'll just say whatever I want I'm sure)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
So - I bought 2 last week for birthday gifts for my sisters.

Gave one last week, big success. (or big flop not sure yet but she hasn't complained to me at least).

Other sister's birthday is today. Having used the Android now for a week, I'm not sure it's right for her. She has an iPhone plus a Blackberry for work, so one more portable device might not thrill her. iOS is so much easier to deal with than Android, even if I set everything up just right. And unlike my other sister, no teenagers around for IT support. So, instead I'm going to get her a KT, case, & light for the same price or a touch less (pun intended).

So. Now I have a device I can return to Best Buy ... or I can keep it. I certainly don't NEED it - I have an iPhone that I would never be without, an iPad2 that I use daily, a laptop for work, and a netbook for travel. However. I am learning about Android, and as a developer that might be useful (don't have an Apple, can't get iOS developer kit). And well it's cool. And I can follow what you lovely people are saying in this Vox-specific forum. And that would mean we have all Kobo products in our house. (except the original I returned for battery reasons) And I could read in the dark without the weight of the iPad.

What to do, what to do (I'll get my husband's input but he'll just say whatever I want I'm sure)

You should keep it...
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
So, I'm totally on the fence too.

Here's something that I've been wondering...
How far could I potentially "strip" the Vox back with the intention of really getting the device as close as possible to just a dedicated reader?

Are all the initial apps "hard" installed somehow?
I want to read books, comics/graphic novels, and maybe magazines on a Vox, and that's it.

Web browsers, Facebook, Twitter, Zinio...whatever else....SCRABBLE! I cast you out!
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

ZombWii - there is a setting under Settings > Kobo eReader Settings > Start directly to my library. This will make it more like a reader where in the device will always boot into Kobo, and you only go out to Android when you hit Home. You don't have to ever see any of the stuff you don't to to use, unless you want to!

James
Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
kikibay
Banned
kikibay got an A in P-Chem.kikibay got an A in P-Chem.kikibay got an A in P-Chem.kikibay got an A in P-Chem.kikibay got an A in P-Chem.kikibay got an A in P-Chem.kikibay got an A in P-Chem.kikibay got an A in P-Chem.kikibay got an A in P-Chem.kikibay got an A in P-Chem.kikibay got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone, Kobo Vox
Many of us still havnt got the Vox yet. But one thing for sure, it's that Kobo has HORRIBLE costumer service!!!
kikibay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
You should keep it...
I probably will ...
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
ZombWii - there is a setting under Settings > Kobo eReader Settings > Start directly to my library. This will make it more like a reader where in the device will always boot into Kobo, and you only go out to Android when you hit Home. You don't have to ever see any of the stuff you don't to to use, unless you want to!

James
Now, THAT, is exactly what I'm talking about. Good to know...thanks James.

But I'm also thinking of the Vox's performance when I say I want to strip it down to a bare-bones reader.

I'm not real familiar with how Tablets/Smartphones manage their resources but if I was to uninstall/delete all but a small handful of functions would it free up any memory...or promote snappier performance or longer battery life?
I guess I'm thinking in relation to a PC, which often has numerous "widgets" that are activated at "start-up" and run invisibly in the background...but do take up RAM and slow things down a bit.

Obviously, with battery life the big thing is to keep the Wi-Fi off, and I'd likely not need the highest brightness setting for the screen.

How long does the start-up take from being "off" rather than "sleeping"?
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox

Sorry for the slow reply on this - wake from sleep should be pretty much instant, at worst a couple of seconds. A full boot up from off usually takes 20s or so.

James
Old 11-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Hmmm...Mine takes at least a minute or so.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote