Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
DanThompson
DanThompson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question How to handle ampersand (&) in 0.9.8

I use the character & in several places through my book, e.g. S&P 500.

When I first had it simply as the standalone &, I would get an error in the preview window pointing out that & is an escape code and should be followed by other characters or a # and then numbers. So I replaced it with & which is the HTML named code for that character.

However, when I save the file, "&" is replaced by "&"

I tried using "& # 38;" (without the spaces) instead, but on saving, it's replaced by "&"

Subsequent saves just make the chain that much longer.

Both & and & # 38;(without the spaces) are in my list of entities to preserve, along with various quotes, dashes, and ellipses. None of those others are affected. Only the ampersand is getting messed with.

I'm running 0.9.8. Is anyone else seeing this problem? Is there a workaround?
DanThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Have you tried using the special character tool (the omega)
typing IN CODE VIEW
Code:
&
behaves as expected

also 0.9.8 W10 x64
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
DanThompson

I am using & in the code view, which is what the Omega tool gives me.
However, when the "mend HTML" option is checked during save or open, it's expanding it into nonsense like:
Code:
&
And after the next save, it becomes:
Code:
&
And so on.

I did find the workaround by turning off the HTML mending option on save/open, but this makes me think there's a bug in that code. None of the other special characters like — were altered.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Remove the & and & from your Preserve Entities preferences. Sigil can deal with ampersands inherently. Also remember to turn your "Mend on Save/Open" back on.

Adding Preserve Entities entries for:

& / &
< / <
> / >

is unnecessary and will only serve to confuse/break things (as you've discovered). Those three entities are handled inherently/internally.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-14-2017 at 07:03 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
DanThompson

Except that it's *not* handling &'s natively. When I put one in the middle of a sentence, the preview window and book view give me this error:

Quote:
This page contains the following errors:

error on line 18 at column 152: Expected '#' or '[a-zA-Z]', but got ' '.
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.
Meaning it only knows how to deal with & as an escape code.
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
DanThompson

Wait, I think I see what you're saying. Once I removed & from the preserve entities, then & was fine in the text, not being altered by save/load/etc.

Last edited by DanThompson; 05-14-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes. Adding any of the ampersand or < or > entities to the Preserve Entities list is going to cause problems. I'll look into getting those specific ones ignored if they happen to get added to the Preserve Entities list.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote