Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #1531
strategist922
strategist922 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW3
Dear Knc1,

If I have already JB my kindle, may I upgrade the firmware to 5.8.8?
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, I know.

1) You did not follow all of the steps, exactly, and in-order.
You took your own shortcuts, and reached your own result.

2) You tried to run firmware add-ins that where only tested and intended to be used on customer firmware builds, not intended nor tested to work on factory production line firmware.

3) You skipped the part where all packages have to be re-installed after an update (like, in, read the step #8 that you never reached) when deciding that the jailbreak was broken by the update.

4) You installed 5.8.8 firmware version that can not be jailbroken (try reading the top line of the top post).

Easy fix (maybe):
Re-install KUAL,
Re-install MrPi,
Re-run the "hotfix" (note: you have to run it from /mrpackages now that you are running a customer firmware build.

But due to the things you skipped when you jail broke it, the above may not fix it, you may just have to buy a Kindle that isn't running 5.8.8 (and follow the directions this time).
strategist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #1532
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategist922 View Post
Dear Knc1,

If I have already JB my kindle, may I upgrade the firmware to 5.8.8?
Yes.
If you followed all of the directions.

See top of top post - it has been updated for 5.8.8
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #1533
Nivos
Nivos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wifi
Quote:
Yes, I know.

1) You did not follow all of the steps, exactly, and in-order.
You took your own shortcuts, and reached your own result.

2) You tried to run firmware add-ins that where only tested and intended to be used on customer firmware builds, not intended nor tested to work on factory production line firmware.

3) You skipped the part where all packages have to be re-installed after an update (like, in, read the step #8 that you never reached) when deciding that the jailbreak was broken by the update.

4) You installed 5.8.8 firmware version that can not be jailbroken (try reading the top line of the top post).

Easy fix (maybe):
Re-install KUAL,
Re-install MrPi,
Re-run the "hotfix" (note: you have to run it from /mrpackages now that you are running a customer firmware build.

But due to the things you skipped when you jail broke it, the above may not fix it, you may just have to buy a Kindle that isn't running 5.8.8 (and follow the directions this time).
But I did follow all the steps.
I'm not sure what customer and factory production line builds are though , I guess I should have asked prior to downloading the firmware from amazon.
And after the firmware update I tried running KUAL, it didn't work so I couldn't use mrpi to install the packages, and when I tried installing KUAL again it also didn't work. Although now that I think about it I didn't install the document version, I immediately tried the .bin version, I'll give that another go.
And in the first page it said
Quote:
If jailbroken on an earlier firmware version, the jb survives the update to 5.8.8.
So I assumed since I had a jailbroken 5.4.3.2 version and upgraded to 5.8.8 the jailbreak would still hold.

Anyways I'll try installing KUAL through documents and if that doesn't work I'll try the whole process again and see if it works.

Edit: Okay, so I used the document method and now it does work. I'll run Hotfix and see if it solves things.

Edit 2: I ran the hotfix and ss hack through mrpackages and now it all works. It was merely the fact that I overlooked that you wrote to use the document version of KUAL in the final step, and I just went for the way I knew to work before of the .bin file. Thanks for the help, and for making this jailbreak, it's highly appreciated.

Last edited by Nivos; 03-13-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: More progress since last
Nivos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #1534
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivos View Post
But I did follow all the steps.
I'm not sure what customer and factory production line builds are though , I guess I should have asked prior to downloading the firmware from amazon.
- - - -
I only had your description of what you did to go on.

The "initial factory" firmware is the firmware put on when brand new, still in the factory, for production testing purposes.
Which is why they have the word: "initial" in their name.

The customer firmware is what you download from Amazon.

If the document version of KUAL works, then you most likely do not have to re-install the 'hotfix' -
But it will do no harm to re-install it anyway.

Everything else that appears broke just needs to be re-installed.
Step #8 has been updated to make that a bit clearer.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #1535
arbingordon
arbingordon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I checked with Amazon, they want me to do a factory reset on my PW3. Is there any way to downgrade back to 5.7.4 when on 5.8.8 w/ JB?
arbingordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #1536
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbingordon View Post
I checked with Amazon, they want me to do a factory reset on my PW3. Is there any way to downgrade back to 5.7.4 when on 5.8.8 w/ JB?
When you do a 'Reset' you will wipe out the "Jailbreak Survival Code" (a.k.a: 'hotfix', 'jb bridge', others).

That is alright, as long as you re-install the 'hotfix' package before installing an image update.
The 'Reset' will not disturb our signature certificate, so you should still be able to re-install the 'hotfix' with MrPI.
(Only the 'factory' firmware builds let you install the 'hotfix' from the root of visible storage.)

As an added precaution - install the 'Rescue Pack' before doing the 'Reset' -
We will tell you how to use it if you ever need it.

Then follow their directions.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #1537
arbingordon

Which rescue pack should I use? Coward's Rescue Pack? Or the normal one?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #1538
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Which rescue pack should I use? Coward's Rescue Pack? Or the normal one?
Coward's Rescue Pack is an add-on to the "normal one".

You only need the "normal one" - without the add-on.

= = = = =

Sorry about all of this, but Amazon seems to be getting very serious about getting rid of our add-ins and/or punish people who use them.

I.E: The war with Amazon is going into extra, overtime, innings.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #1539
arbingordon

Alright, I installed NiLuJe's latest rescue pack.
Then I did a reset.
I copied the kual doc over to the kindle's documents folder, but couldn't run it, so I rebooted.
Not sure what to do next.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #1540
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Alright, I installed NiLuJe's latest rescue pack.
Then I did a reset.
I copied the kual doc over to the kindle's documents folder, but couldn't run it, so I rebooted.
Not sure what to do next.
Re-install this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597
The contents of which was deleted by the 'Reset'.
(Taken from step #6)
That should fix KUAL.

You will probably also have to re-install anything else that seems to be broken.
Including MrPI (which you need to do the re-installing with).
Old 03-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #1541
arbingordon

Quote:
Re-install this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597
The contents of which was deleted by the 'Reset'.
(Taken from step #6)
That should fix KUAL.

You will probably also have to re-install anything else that seems to be broken.
Including MrPI (which you need to do the re-installing with).
It's not letting me install the hotfix via settings -> update.
Can't really install it via package installer either without KUAL.
Going to see if I can get into diags.

EDIT 1: I can SSH into the kindle just fine. Trying to copy the developer key to the keystore. /etc/uks doesn't exist though?

EDIT 2: I went ahead and created the uks folder and dropped the developer key in there and kual still doesn't open, guessing I need to do something with this instead?

EDIT 3: I copied the keystore and KUAL is working.

Last edited by arbingordon; 03-13-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #1542
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
It's not letting me install the hotfix via settings -> update.
Can't really install it via package installer either without KUAL.
Going to see if I can get into diags.

EDIT 1: I can SSH into the kindle just fine. Trying to copy the developer key to the keystore. /etc/uks doesn't exist though?

EDIT 2: I went ahead and created the uks folder and dropped the developer key in there and kual still doesn't open, guessing I need to do something with this instead?

EDIT 3: I copied the keystore and KUAL is working.
Where are you looking for /etc/uks?
On the diags system or the main system?
Note, check what you are doing for errors, because there are already two Amazon keys in that directory and the device would not have installed an Amazon update file without them.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #1543
arbingordon

Quote:
Where are you looking for /etc/uks?
On the diags system or the main system?
Note, check what you are doing for errors, because there are already two Amazon keys in that directory and the device would not have installed an Amazon update file without them.
on the diags system.
I finally got everything working by converting the jailbreak hotfix to a .tar.gz, sending that over to the diags system, and running the 2 bash scripts. Everything appears to be working now.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #1544
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
on the diags system.
I finally got everything working by converting the jailbreak hotfix to a .tar.gz, sending that over to the diags system, and running the 2 bash scripts. Everything appears to be working now.
Why are you doing all of this to the Diags system?
The only thing usually done to the Diags system is to install the rescue pack.
Have you replaced the Diags system with something else?
Like, are you trying to install Dorkian?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #1545
arbingordon

Quote:
Why are you doing all of this to the Diags system?
The only thing usually done to the Diags system is to install the rescue pack.
Have you replaced the Diags system with something else?
Like, are you trying to install Dorkian?
I'm pretty sure the last bit I tried _didn't_ apply to the diags system. The intent has always been to reinstall the JB fix on the "main" system.

Perhaps I wasn't really clear, I was booting into diags via rescue pack, which afaik enables diags when /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS exists. From there I would run the sshd (usbnet), ssh in and try and re-enable the JB. Unless I'm much mistaken, rescue pack completely bypasses the need for JB?

Regardless, I don't *think* I've replaced diags with anything special, nor have I tried to install Dorkian.

Again, it's working now, so I don't know what the problem is? The package installer is working fine, and I've reinstalled the screensaver hack with 0 issues.