Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #91
Mieeka
Mieeka began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
Wouldn't this be somewhat possible in the icons-settings under "Look and Feel". (see attached image)

Maybe it's even better as an advanced icon rule, because maybe then you could input an interval.
Thanks for the suggestion, but i already do this - it was something to save me a bit of time manually setting the field so when i do my OPDS extract for my online library i get the correct Stars.
Mieeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #92
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I've just installed the "new" plugin and it's working a treat. Many, many thanks to all involved in its creation and maintenance. Congratulations on a wonderful plugin.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #93
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abies98 View Post
Now for my issue, I've run into a couple stories with missing pages recently. The stories are multiple chapters with 3 pages per chapter. The second page of the chapter would be missing from the output.

It's happened with a couple stories most recently with the one shown below on the first 2 chapters I've read.
http://storiesonline.net/s/56730/
That is such a frustrating site to work with. I think I have this problem figured, but it looks like they're continuing to make changes, so who knows how long it will stay fixed.

New test version posted with all test fixes and changes, including Cover changes.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #94
abies98
abies98 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
That is such a frustrating site to work with. I think I have this problem figured, but it looks like they're continuing to make changes, so who knows how long it will stay fixed.
Thanks, I tried out the new version and got quite a bit larger document so it seemed to work.
abies98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:46 AM   #95
fathertyme
Enthusiast
fathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheesefathertyme can extract oil from cheese

Device: Samsung S2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by abies98 View Post
Thanks, I tried out the new version and got quite a bit larger document so it seemed to work.
ran into this problem as well, but the test version fixed it

thanks!
fathertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #96
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Jimm,

can the overwrite if newer function tell if an AO3 story has been updated twice in one day? I downloaded a story and then subscribed to the series it belongs to. I got a notice for an update a little later, but the update if new chapter gave an update not needed notice. The overwrite if newer option overwrote the epub. Is this a bug or an AO3 quirk?
Firedancer885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #97
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post
can the overwrite if newer function tell if an AO3 story has been updated twice in one day? I downloaded a story and then subscribed to the series it belongs to. I got a notice for an update a little later, but the update if new chapter gave an update not needed notice. The overwrite if newer option overwrote the epub. Is this a bug or an AO3 quirk?
'update if new chapter' only looks at the number of chapters. It assumes that past chapters don't change and that new updates mean new chapters. (The somewhat dodgy do_update_hook feature for AO3 is the only exception to this.)

'overwrite if newer' only looks at the updated date and the timestamp of the ebook on disk.

So what probably happened is that the author updated or replaced an existing chapter, causing the updated date to change and the notice to fire, but leaving the chapter count the same.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #98
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
What would you suggest to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #99
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
What would you suggest to make sure it doesn't happen again?
I don't know of any perfect solution. If an author chooses to replace existing chapters or insert chapters in the middle, it breaks the paradigm FanFicFare assumes.

Another possible cause of Firedancer885 issue could be unfortunate timing: it's possible that the notice came quicker than the web site updated. A new chapter could have appeared between the first update check and the later overwrite if newer check.

I see notices appear before the chapter shows up on the web site sometimes with ffnet.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #100
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
I checked the chapter count in the notice. It wasn't the timing. Although it could be the other way around. I downloaded the stories, subscribed to the series and the notice came later.
Thank you for the fast response
Firedancer885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #101
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Update from Saved Metadata Feature

So I'm working on a new feature that would be helpful for adding custom columns and populating them from existing epubs without having to go out to the sites again.

Specifically, a feature to:
  • First, invisibly save all the metadata FanFicFare collects in the epub--even if you don't use it all, and;
  • Second, let you update calibre metadata from that saved metadata in the epub without going back out to the site.
Saving the metadata isn't too hard--calibre already does it whenever you save or send an epub.

But what's a good way to integrate part 2 into the FanFicFare PI user interface? So far, I'm thinking about:
  1. A new menu option at the same level as 'Download for URLs' and 'Update Existing FanFiction Books'?
  2. A new 'If Story already Exists' option? In addition to 'Update EPUB if New Chapters', etc, and 'Update Calibre Metadata Only' add 'Update Calibre Metadata from EPUB'?
  3. Change the behavior of the existing 'Update Calibre Metadata Only' option to use the epub metadata whenever available and only revisit the site when it's not available. (Also insert metadata into epub when it has to revisit?)
  4. An checkbox option, either in config or on the add/update dialog that modifies 'Update Calibre Metadata Only' to either use existing epub metadata or goes out to the site?
Any suggestions? Opinions?

Last edited by JimmXinu; 04-28-2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Add title.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #102
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What happens if someone uses Embed Metadata or Polish Books? I wouldn't exactly be surprised to find out there are people who do it in bulk on the whole library at regular intervals.

Keeping the metadata in the EPUB is not IMHO a good move. I suggest keeping it in a cache.db in the plugins folder.

As far as where that option should go or what it should look like, I have no opinion.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #103
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What happens if someone uses Embed Metadata or Polish Books? I wouldn't exactly be surprised to find out there are people who do it in bulk on the whole library at regular intervals.

Keeping the metadata in the EPUB is not IMHO a good move. I suggest keeping it in a cache.db in the plugins folder.
That's a good point. I forget some people are particular about that.

However, I'm more likely to abandon the idea entirely than add a whole new database.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #104
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
TBH I kind of feel a cache is more in scope than adding metadata to the book anyway (regardless of whether it doesn't appear in the GUI).
OverDrive Link uses a cache (for books previously found at a particular library), which is where I got the suggestion from.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #105
ILB
Groupie
ILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
But what's a good way to integrate part 2 into the FanFicFare PI user interface? So far, I'm thinking about:
  1. A new menu option at the same level as 'Download for URLs' and 'Update Existing FanFiction Books'?
  2. A new 'If Story already Exists' option? In addition to 'Update EPUB if New Chapters', etc, and 'Update Calibre Metadata Only' add 'Update Calibre Metadata from EPUB'?
  3. Change the behavior of the existing 'Update Calibre Metadata Only' option to use the epub metadata whenever available and only revisit the site when it's not available. (Also insert metadata into epub when it has to revisit?)
  4. An checkbox option, either in config or on the add/update dialog that modifies 'Update Calibre Metadata Only' to either use existing epub metadata or goes out to the site?
Any suggestions? Opinions?
How about to change 'Update Calibre Metadata Only' to 'Update Calibre Metadata from webpage' and add 'Update Calibre Metadata from EPUB'?
ILB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction