Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #16
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
Mine's bricked like OP has described before, but it still charged via USB. I later bought an AC charger, since it charges so much quicker. I'll take note, though.
Mine as well. I suspect USB charging works, it just takes time - a LOT of time.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #17
akito38
akito38 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 600 touch edition
this happened to me a few minutes ago. My reader said I had three bars left too. I panicked but luckily a reset worked.
akito38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #18
OMGSnarf
OMGSnarf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by akito38 View Post
this happened to me a few minutes ago. My reader said I had three bars left too. I panicked but luckily a reset worked.
My fiance just saw this as well with the reader I got her, right when it went from 100% to 75%. Reset eventually worked. Looks like we'll get a proper charger and if the problem keeps happening, a replacement battery from eBay.

Anyone else know what the cause might be, or is it definitely battery related? A week or so ago I charged via USB until the red light went off and I thought that was a full charge...
OMGSnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #19
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
My PRS-505 has been unplugged for a while and was totally drained so I plugged it into the wall using the proper charger. Nothing happened except for the charging light flashing red. I left it overnight and came home tonight to see that it charged. However, it is totally frozen. I am at the directory screen and it looks correct but it shows the battery as being charged (it is no longer plugged in) and pushing the reset button on the back does nothing. I also tried flicking the power switch off and on while holding in the reset button but nothing. Suggestions?
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #20
someoneinseattle
someoneinseattle is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony E-reader PRS 505
Try to download and re-install PRS 505 System Updater. It may work.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...05&upd_id=3622
someoneinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #21
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I pulled out the PC (could not find the software for the MAC) and installed it. It does not recognize that a reader is plugged into the computer. The screen is still frozen and the only sign of life is the red flashing recharge light on the top when plugged into the computer. The same flashing light I got when I plug it into the wall.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Are you sure the flashing light is red and not amber... I've never seen the red recharge light flashing, it comes on when power applied and goes off when 80% charged or PSU disconnected. The flashing orange light is the reader accessing files and happens sometimes when there's a problem, when the usnit is re-indexing and other occasions involving file reads...

If it actually is the red lamp flashing then I suggest it's time to contact Sony and yell for help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
I pulled out the PC (could not find the software for the MAC) and installed it. It does not recognize that a reader is plugged into the computer. The screen is still frozen and the only sign of life is the red flashing recharge light on the top when plugged into the computer. The same flashing light I got when I plug it into the wall.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #23
Tom Swift
Addict

Flashing bright red. There is no point in asking Sony for help since I replaced the battery myself a while back with one from eBay. It worked after the replacement quite well so I don't know if that is the problem. The only thing that happened to it to cause this was it had not been charged in a long while. As well, I am currently in China and won't be back to Canada until next July.

I guess this gives me an excuse to buy another but that won't happen for another seven months. Book readers are plentiful here but they are expensive and only come in Chinese.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #24
Tom Swift
Addict

Fixed it.

I decided to take it apart and put back in the original battery. Luckily I had not thrown it away. When I plugged it into the wall socket, this time the light was solid red, not flashing red. Left it overnight only to find nothing had changed this morning, except the light was no longer on. Crap. I then plugged it into my PC and tried to run the upgrade program but again it would not recognize the 505. I left it plugged in and a few hours later, it suddenly reset itself, with no help from me. It is working fine now, but it is really looking rough. I had one extra part that I could not figure out where it went and the top and bottom panels are chipped and scratched and I need to keep the 505 in a case at all times else the top and bottom panels pop off. Not really designed for taking apart over and over again.

Anyway, it is working now but this is the final push towards a new model when I get back to Canada next summer. Probably the 650 but I will have to take a look at the models. As well, Sony should be coming out with new models next year so if my current reader does not implode again, I will try to hold off buying.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #25
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Glad you got it working.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #26
Tom Swift
Addict

Thanks. I was looking at pictures of new readers while battling with my old one. Looking at my 505 compared to the 350 or 650, mine looks so old and outdated. Now I want a new one. The prices for the 350 or 650 in China are about $100 more than North American retail prices so I will probably wait or have someone get one for me when they go back to Canada for Christmas.