Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Hardware Conversion from DX (US) to DXi

I was wondering if there were any plans to permit users to modify the relevant components of a US DX to a DXi. Or better still if both functions could be incorporated into a single device -- a kind of Super DX!

I'm sure it shouldn't be too difficult to arrange (in unofficial circles) once the relevant components have been identified, assembled and made available for distribution.

Any news on this?
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Never heard of anyone trying though I would venture to say that by the time you purchased the parts needed you will exceed the price of a new DXi.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm sure in theory someone could mass produce the relevant component in the DX that gives wireless functionality. In other electronic devices (Sony Playstation, Xbox, NDS etc) people have figured out ways of altering the hardware to bypass regional and technical restrictions.

As a first step, someone needs to open up a US DX and a DXi side-by-side and identify the relevant component.

Next, you would need to see if by swapping the components around, wireless functionality can be attained. If this were to work, maybe at this stage users could offer to swap hardware components. I know for instance there are US users who are unhappy with their DXi and 'global' users unhappy with their DXi.

Just a thought ...

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 05-18-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
alexaxis
alexaxis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
upper level posted the right idea. hard to realize and not that worthy for a trying in my opinion.
alexaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Perhaps someone could identify what in effect distinguishes the DXi from the DX (US)? In hardware terms.
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Id like to know what differences there really are
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote