Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Matt Gemmell: How to compete with the iPad

http://mattgemmell.com/2010/02/05/ho...pete-with-ipad

Quote:
When competing with iPad, you have to realise that, to your new core market, tablets are not computers. There’s no such thing (to your customer) as a “tablet computer”; the very name reduces the likelihood they’ll buy it. The potential of the tablet is that it’s not even seen as a computing device. This is an incredible opportunity to expand into a new market, if you’ll only commit to that mindset.
Quote:
the tablet market isn’t the netbook market. It’s true that tablets may cannibalise netbook sales, at least to some extent. But there’s a fundamental benefit: the actual value proposition of a tablet to the vast untapped true-consumer market is vastly higher than that of a netbook. To your customer, a tablet is a “compromise machine” in the best possible way.
Quote:
A tablet is a synthesis of hardware and software.

If you’re planning to supply the one without the other (probably the hardware without the software), you will fail commercially. You’re not even in the same market. I’d like you to be in the same market because there’s always room for a wonderful new offering and no single company should own any space. But you have to sweep away this dangerously incorrect assumption.
Quote:
There’s been a lot of press about the limitations of the iPad, and you’re probably both frightened and overjoyed by it. Frightened because you don’t want those complaints to be levelled at your product, and overjoyed because you feel that if you overcome those limitations then you’ll have a strong comparative marketing campaign and a shot at the market.

Be very careful. For the most part, those oft-mentioned “limitations” are limitations for a computer. Yes, a computer without multitasking and Flash support and expandable storage and a built-in camera would indeed be relatively undesirable, and vulnerable to competition. But you have to remember that limitations aren’t portable between product categories.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Someone does a similar device in terms of form factor, battery life, screen quality, price etc. and adds stylus support and robust document markup options and I"ll buy it day one!

I agree 100% with the author that tablets are NOT pcs and companies should be wary of making them like PCs. True Tablet PCs have failed for years. I just don't think there's much of a market for tablet PCs running windows, OSX and having all the features etc.--most everyone has a laptop, desktop, netbook (or 2 or 3 of those).

Tablets need to fill a different niche so people don't just say "I can do all that on my PC/laptop" and not buy them. It's a pretty small niche of people who need a laptop with a touch/stylus screen--as the poor sales of tablet laptops have shown.

I feel there's a much larger market for tablets like the iPad that are used more as document readers, document mark up tools, video and other media viewing/listening and not full on computing.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I was listening to a posdcast yesterday on the iPad. They said that the name iSlate was acquired by aPple. Then it dawned on me, could it be that they have a tablet computer in the works besides the iPad "media surfer"?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More likely they just bought up the name so they had it if they wanted to use it for this device, then decided on iPad. And to stop competitors from putting out a similarly named device.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I was listening to a posdcast yesterday on the iPad...
Wow! I'm impressed! Are you a close personal friend of Steve Jobs to get one before it's released??

Oh! oh, I see....

Quote:
They said that the name iSlate was acquired by aPple. Then it dawned on me, could it be that they have a tablet computer in the works besides the iPad "media surfer"?
I wouldn't rule it out. Why should Apple only have one tablet/slate/pad in the game? They're well known for having distinct product lines for 'Consumer' and 'Pro' devices, and if this is the face of computing (for the rest of us...) to come, it would make sense to have a 'Pro' product line.

Cheers, Pete.

p.s. - any chance of a link to the podcast?
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Wow! I'm impressed! Are you a close personal friend of Steve Jobs to get one before it's released??

Oh! oh, I see....

I wouldn't rule it out. Why should Apple only have one tablet/slate/pad in the game? They're well known for having distinct product lines for 'Consumer' and 'Pro' devices, and if this is the face of computing (for the rest of us...) to come, it would make sense to have a 'Pro' product line.

Cheers, Pete.

p.s. - any chance of a link to the podcast?
Three shows that you'll find in the iTunes Store.
The iPad Possibilities Podcast
The iPad Show (the best of the three podcasts)
Latest in iPad

Remember that most people here speak and write in an other language first...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Thanks!
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Someone does a similar device in terms of form factor, battery life, screen quality, price etc. and adds stylus support and robust document markup options and I"ll buy it day one!
There will be stylus support, and all your waiting on is an App which may already exist, I just dont know your specific requirements.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
There will be stylus support, and all your waiting on is an App which may already exist, I just dont know your specific requirements.
Well my requirements will be:

Ability to handle PDFs up to A4 size with abililty to write notes in the margins etc.--so the ipads screen is too small for my needs.

I need full ability to mark up PDFs, word documents and books. Who knows if we'll get apps for all of that on the iPad.

I need the stylus to be very precise as I write pretty small and have terrible penmanship--I've not had much luck writing on PDAs etc. in the past legibly. So a wacom screen with it's high precision may be a must for me. I'm very skeptical from demos that any capacitive stylus/screen would fit my writing style/needs.

But in any case, there's no chance I'll buy an iPad as after more thought the screen size kills it for me. I'll wait for a device with an A4 sized screen designed to be a document markup tool from the ground up.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Well my requirements will be:

Ability to handle PDFs up to A4 size with abililty to write notes in the margins etc.--so the ipads screen is too small for my needs.

I need full ability to mark up PDFs, word documents and books. Who knows if we'll get apps for all of that on the iPad.

I need the stylus to be very precise as I write pretty small and have terrible penmanship--I've not had much luck writing on PDAs etc. in the past legibly. So a wacom screen with it's high precision may be a must for me. I'm very skeptical from demos that any capacitive stylus/screen would fit my writing style/needs.

But in any case, there's no chance I'll buy an iPad as after more thought the screen size kills it for me. I'll wait for a device with an A4 sized screen designed to be a document markup tool from the ground up.
Capacative is as accurate as anything else out there in terms of measuring where the nib is but no pressure support like you would get with Wacom.
Not sure what Demos you have seen? Im not even sure there IS a large screen capacative device yet is there?

Your definatly best to wait and see, maybe pop into an apple store once demos are out?

I dont know but imo you could be waiting forever for an A4 sized device with Wacom input and designed for document markup from the start...

The iPad seems to me the closest you would get in the next 6 to 12 months at least, plus if software is there then your not far off everything else you want..
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Not sure what Demos you have seen? Im not even sure there IS a large screen capacative device yet is there?
Use on iPhones. I'd assume it would have the the same precision etc on a bigger screen--especially from the same company.

Quote:
Your definatly best to wait and see, maybe pop into an apple store once demos are out?
For sure. And my girlfriend may end up with one as she doesn't care about stylus markup and just wants something to read PDFs on besides her PC/laptop, that can do e-mail, internet etc. So hopefully I'll get a chance to play around with one a lot!

Quote:
I dont know but imo you could be waiting forever for an A4 sized device with Wacom input and designed for document markup from the start...
Yeah, Wacom isn't a must, I may well be fine with other screen types. Size I can waver a bit on, as I could always print out the journal articles that have 2 or 3 columns of text that are hard to read if shrunk below A4 (and annoying to read in landscape with all the scrolling).

But at the same time, I'm in no huge rush as printouts have worked fine my whole academic career, and I'm not paying for the paper or ink so I can be patient and try out some different tablets that come out and be sure I find one I like.

I'm expecting 2011 to be more likely when I'll jump in, since we'll get a bunch of first gen tablets this year, and next year the 2nd gen models with the kinks worked out will start rolling out.

In any case, I'm excited to see what comes out over the next year or so!