Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Changing font use more battery life?

I never thought about this, and it doesnt really seem possible, but my question is...if I change the font of an epub book using calibre, does the rendering of that new font take up more battery life? I'm not talking about if like...the font has a few extra pixels with some letters, but I mean...is there a significant degradation in battery life when using a font other than the default? say like, georgia or one of my favorites..Fontin

Thanks
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
sherya mathur
Enthusiast
sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: saamabook
hey!
For battery life we can not degrade only font type ,as default type consumes less battery power or user defined consumes large power of battery.The battery life also damage by screen saver ,screen saver with text as 3D text ,marquee text,flying text.
sherya mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherya mathur View Post
hey!
For battery life we can not degrade only font type ,as default type consumes less battery power or user defined consumes large power of battery.The battery life also damage by screen saver ,screen saver with text as 3D text ,marquee text,flying text.
Anything that moves, consumes more power than static images because the computation of the moved pixels and CHANGES on the display drive lines.

Color consumes more than Monochrome because there are more signal control lines being driven.

e-ink uses little power because the image SIGNAL does not need to be maintained after setting the image.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusgod View Post
I never thought about this, and it doesnt really seem possible, but my question is...if I change the font of an epub book using calibre, does the rendering of that new font take up more battery life? I'm not talking about if like...the font has a few extra pixels with some letters, but I mean...is there a significant degradation in battery life when using a font other than the default? say like, georgia or one of my favorites..Fontin

Thanks
Great question (and probably very difficult to validate).
Retrieval from storage (Program ROM vs Flash Drive) would possibly cause a very tiny difference.

The act of changing the display font size (and all the computing needed to re-flow) would consume more than a static font used throughout the document.
The different number of total screens viewed to complete the document would consume different power amounts.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote