Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Want a safe Kindle 2 - what cover?

I'm getting one of the new international Kindles, and I'm looking for an appropriate cover/case.

I already have a sony505 and a DR1000 - I tend to use them out of the cover. I really like the silicone cover I have for the sony505 because it gives a nice grip and insulates the cold aluminium from my fingers. Basically I just don't like the extra weight a cover gives. But I need a cover for keeping the Kindle safe when taking it somewhere. And "safe" for me, means basically protecting the screen.

I've looked into possible covers. There's the standard Amazon cover; no strap or closure, and there's the possible stress on the points where the hinges connect. Not so great all in all.

Then there's several soft, padded covers - but they don't protect the screen that well.

Being in Europe, I can't buy M-Edge covers from Amazon, so I will have to order them directly, which will add approx. 25 USD to the price (postal service fees for duty and taxes) - but perhaps an M-Edge cover is the best answer? I know they are good quality, and their Prodigy cover will give good protection of the screen. But it *is* more expensive than an Amazon cover....
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The M-Edge is IMHO the best alternative to the Kindle cover - to add strap closure to the cover. I use both - the K cover for home and the M-Edge for travel.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just ordered an Oberon cover, based upon incredible customer feedback. Owners of this cover seem to love it. It's pricey, but made in the U.S. by a small company.

I'm also looking at a cover that has a completely different "philosophical" approach, one made by Noreve (The U.S. website; it's actually French-based.)

The Noreve takes more of a business approach in its covers. They, too, are pricey. I like both, but only discovered the Noreve a few days ago. I'll probably end up buying this one, too.

Again, both are expensive - very attractive but in different ways.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for mentioning the Noreve covers - I've been looking for somethingnice that was also shipped from Europe. Oberon has some nice designs, but I don't like the overall finish - it looks a bit rough and unfinished.

I did a comparison; an M-edge prodigy jacket will, at eth current sale price, incl. shipping and import taxes and fees, cost the equivalent of 5 USD more than a Noreve jacket (unless I get the suede version, which I'm very tempted to They're gorgeous).

I'm thinking if I shouldn't get an Amazon cover as a backup, then I can take my time thinking about what else to get. The price is not too bad. On the other hand, I don't expect to carry it around much.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I have a black suede Noreve cover, and absolutely love it. If you're looking for perfection in the leather, though, the suede is not the right choice. I guess you could call it "distressed". Having a pre-distressed cover saved me from worry about marking it more, though, so I was very happy with it

I really like the rail system that the Noreve cover uses - almost as unobtrusive as the hinges, but no stress points.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard

The overall finish of those covers seem so smooth, that I would actually prefer the leather to be a little 'distressed'. If not the suede, I would get one of the pebbled styles, but I think I like the blue suede best

I really like the rail system, too. Elegant and un-obtrusive.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I went with M-Edge and have been very satisfied.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To follow up on my earlier post, I just ordered the Noreve ebony pebbled cover.

I'll use my Oberon when I'm killing zombies.

I'll use my Noreve when I'm wearing a suit and tie, and I'm killing zombies.

Seriously, I suppose I'm thinking of buying another kindle 2; hence, a second high-end cover for a great Reader. (I prefer the English term, "ebookieuse" [an 'Ebook I Use'] - a term I created to confuse and obfuscate an already perfectly acceptable word - "Ebook Reader.") :

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-12-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Seriously, I suppose I'm thinking of buying another kindle 2; hence, a second high-end cover for a great Reader. (I prefer the English term, "ebookieuse" [an 'Ebook I Use'] - a term I created to confuse and obfuscate an already perfectly acceptable word - "Ebook Reader.") :

Don
Given the Oberon cover's richly tooled designs, you might have trouble removing the zombie gore from it after each use. Maybe some Scotchguard first?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
Does this constitute misuse of liseuse?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Ea
Wizard

Reg. Noreve covers, I came across a Noreve colour and texture breakdown at casescoop.com.

I wasn't aware that the suede was that much like nubuck, but it still looks rather nice.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Does this constitute misuse of liseuse?
Let's just say I'm attaching "-use" to something that makes sense in a real world, rather than in a fairytale world of make-believe.

Don
Old 10-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Hi Ea,

I have two very protective covers:

The Patagonia and the Belkin.

The Patagonia is more protective because it gives a better grip to the device while reading. With the Kindles, they're so smooth & rounded that they're pretty easy to drop. This case has nice loops front & back to put one's hands through. It is no problem to fold the cover back on itself; no stiffness or worries of stressing the pretty leather.

The Belkin's zippers work more smoothly. The zippers on the Patagonia are a bit too heavy-duty for this application. It isn't a matter of wearing them in, as some reviewers say. It is a matter of them catching on the corners of the edge padding. The Kindle comes out of this case much more quickly. But then, one still has to make sure one doesn't drop it when it is out of the case.

Either of these cases offer far more protection (real padding!) than any leather case. Of course they don't have the same class either, but it is all about priorities.

I'll probably pick up a leather one at some future date, but for now, I'm torn between these two.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:05 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I have two very protective covers:

The Patagonia and the Belkin.

The Patagonia is more protective because it gives a better grip to the device while reading. With the Kindles, they're so smooth & rounded that they're pretty easy to drop. This case has nice loops front & back to put one's hands through. It is no problem to fold the cover back on itself; no stiffness or worries of stressing the pretty leather.
Either of these cases offer far more protection (real padding!) than any leather case. Of course they don't have the same class either, but it is all about priorities.
I took a look at those as well (and the M-Edge ones in the same style). I'm mostly worried about pressure on the screen, and I don't really think that a padded cover is the best solution - both those covers you mention looked too soft.

I plan to buy a silicone skin for use at home. I have one for the Sony and it gives a nice grip and doesn't add much weight, I just want it protected while in a bag or purse.

I know the M-Edge leather covers are quite sturdy and the front flap is quite stiff, but they get so expensive once the postal service and the tax people have gotten their shares - I can't buy them through Amazon.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I took a look at those as well (and the M-Edge ones in the same style). I'm mostly worried about pressure on the screen, and I don't really think that a padded cover is the best solution - both those covers you mention looked too soft.
The Patagonia has a pocket on the inside of the front cover. If one is worried that the high density foam won't be enough, one can always put something stiffer in the pocket. Or more padding. It can be made to be stiffer than leather, and also with more padding.

The thing that concerns me about the leather book-style covers is that there is no protection for the edges of the device. Both of the above-mentioned covers have padding that covers the edges too.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote