Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you subscribe to a rental service where you could read the latest releases?
Yes 26 27.66%
No 45 47.87%
Maybe 23 24.47%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
IllReadThat
IllReadThat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Would you subscribe to a rental service?

I am just wondering. I know that Kindle now will be available at the library, but they have a very limited selection so if there was a service out there where you could read the latest releases on any known reader would you use such a service?
Personally I would be happy to pay a fee of $10-$15/month for such a service as I rarely read a book twice, but still would like to get the latest releases.
IllReadThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
You think the Big 6 are squawking about libraries lending out books and squashing their so-called profits. Someone try the rental game and they would move heaven and earth to squash that! I can't see something like that succeeding at all. Wish it could.... but alas....we have the Big 6 and that dreaded DRM.

I'm assuming here you are talking about renting e-books.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I don't see how it could work but I would love a service like that.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Its all about the details. I'd need to know specifics before I could commit, so I chose "Maybe".
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Depends on the selection, terms, and prices.

If it was more like a subscription, without access to "older" books, definitely not. Something library-like whose selection is so big it's more likely that a book I'd like to check out is available than not? That would be interesting.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Yes, I'd be happy to pay a subscription fee to a good library. I already do this for music (Napster) and have done so for films - and will again soon - (Lovefilm).

I also can't see it necessarily being a loss-maker for publishers, with micro-payments made from the subscription agreements based on lending. Renting (or borrowing) rather than buying means the reader is more likely to risk a new author. This would lead to more reading and reading more widely, resulting in more micro-payments and more actual purchases outside the library.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
No.
I don't even rent movies nor do I stream music. I buy what I want to read or watch or listen to. In my opinion, if we get rid of DRM, geographic restrictions, private parking companies, big moneysucking record companies and equally big moneysucking publishers we would ascend to a much better world.
(And if we could have all the crazy warlords to sit down with a sleeping kitten or puppy on their laps, we probably wouldn't have war either )
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I don't think the publishers are ever going to allow it. Enjoy the Philly and Singapore Libraries now because eventually they will crack down on those.

Anyway, I personally would not have a need for such a service, no matter how cheap, because my library has a great selection and decent wait times (and I don't mind a long wait, I have plenty to read).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Logically I should be all for it because I spend at least $10 a month on books and I really don't re-read all that often. I have a hard enough time getting to all the just released books that I want to read for the first time.

Emotionally though, I like having my books in my little Calibre database and knowing that they are mine. I like to scroll through them and see all the covers and give little happy sighs.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Depending on the terms for the service, and the fees and such... I'd say "maybe."
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Emotionally though, I like having my books in my little Calibre database and knowing that they are mine. I like to scroll through them and see all the covers and give little happy sighs.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Logically I should be all for it because I spend at least $10 a month on books and I really don't re-read all that often. I have a hard enough time getting to all the just released books that I want to read for the first time.

+1 to the entire post!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:

I could not have said it better, right down to the calibre database.

I do this with music and movies (Napster and Netflix, as already mentioned) but it's different with books. I don't know why, can't explain it, it's just the way I am.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
If one was started I would want something akin to love film and it's ilk whereby there is a limit on the number of items you can borrow at a time but you can keep them for however long you want (or a suitably long period, say 6 months). Not just for slow readers but those of us with learning difficulties that can mean that reading a book sometimes takes longer than the 21 days allotted by overdrive, I completely understand why libraries need time limits but if I was paying for the rental I'd want longer. In a similar vein I'd expect a bigger selection than a library and no or short wait times.

However, I doubt something like this would ever be started or work.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
$10-$15 to be able to read the latest releases?
Hmm. I'm a one book a month guy so that's at the steep end of what I'd be willing to pay for a bookflix rental agreement. But ignoring all the "never gonna happen", "how long do I get to keep it?", and "what's in the TOS?" hooplah: if it was in the $4-$7 ballpark, I'd be on it like a duck on a junebug.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote