Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"The Collected Novels of Jose Saramago" - Amazon FINALLY matches Sony's price!

If you enjoy the wonderful Kafkesque writings of this Nobel Prize winning author - as I do - then you should check out this great collection.

It's $19.80 at Sony, while Amazon has it at $28.80. I reported the price difference, in hope that they would lower the price to make it competitive but nothing so far.

This is comprised of one LARGE file of his works, and includes these titles:

Baltasar & Blimunda (1987)
The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis (1991)
The Gospel According to Jesus Christ (1994)
The Stone Raft (1995)
The History of the Siege of Lisbon (1997)
Blindness (1998)
The Tale of the Unknown Island (1999)
All the Names (2000)
The Cave (2002)
The Double (2004)
Seeing (2006)
Death with Interruptions (2008)
The Elephant's Journey (2010)

SONY:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/jos...00000000308436

AMAZON:
http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Nove...2584027&sr=1-1

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-29-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
It's $19.99 at Kobobooks, plus you can use a coupon there.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

See post #34 below. Apparently, it's not available as an epub.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=111325&page=3

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-17-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
It's available at the Philadelphia Library in epub. I'm #5 on the waitlist.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
It's available at the Philadelphia Library in epub. I'm #5 on the waitlist.
And there are 2 copies available. I'm now #6 on the waitlist, but that's really the equivalent of #3 with 2 copies circulating.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

That's not fair!

I don't live in Philadelphia.

I live South of Philadelphia.

Don
Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
And there are 2 copies available. I'm now #6 on the waitlist, but that's really the equivalent of #3 with 2 copies circulating.

-Marcy
I am #2 on the waiting list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's not fair!

I don't live in Philadelphia.

I live South of Philadelphia.

Don
You do not have to live in Philadelphia to become a member of the library. I live east of Philadelphia and belong as well. Somewhere on MR there is a thread about how to sign up.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Here's the thread about non-U.S. residents signing up for the Free Library of Philadelphia.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
No wonder I couldn't find it.
Quote:
This content is not available internationally.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
No wonder I couldn't find it.

I do have something to add about that:

I was unable to locate the listing when I wasn't logged into the site. It doesn't show up at all, seeing only that I originate from Peru. However, when logged in, and using my home address in the United States (a legitimate address, by the way), it shows up fine.

Don
Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I'm not clear on something: if it's not available as epub on Kobo, then what format is it available in? All it says is that it can be read on all different devices, but it doesn't specifically mention epub. If I can remove the DRM so I can load it on my reader, I don't care, but I want to make sure I can before I buy it from them.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
It only loads inside their app, with the book file residing in the database used by the app. You can't download it as a standalone book at all (and thus, cannot do anything to the DRM).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
I'm not clear on something: if it's not available as epub on Kobo, then what format is it available in?
Kobo's tweaked their site again, so now what you can download as is a bit more explicit (and shown directly on the product page, whereas previously you could only see it via the aggregate listings).

Basically, if it doesn't say "Adobe DRM ePub", "Adobe DRM PDF", or just plain ePub/PDF (some books are DRM-free, and now I guess you can tell which), don't buy it.

Someone in the 50% coupon thread a couple of days ago was kind enough to warn me that if it's a Web | Mobile book, then you can only read it online via the website, or one of the mobile phone apps.

They no longer seem to have the Web | Mobile description on their pages, but contrast The New World, a former Web | Mobile freebie which now has no Download Options description on its page, with Speed Dating, a freebie which does, and is available as Adobe DRM ePub.

Long story short (too late!): only get books which explicitly say in the Download Options that they're ePub or PDF. If that info's missing, you'd better hope you enjoy reading on your phone.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Kobo's tweaked their site again, so now what you can download as is a bit more explicit (and shown directly on the product page, whereas previously you could only see it via the aggregate listings).

Basically, if it doesn't say "Adobe DRM ePub", "Adobe DRM PDF", or just plain ePub/PDF (some books are DRM-free, and now I guess you can tell which), don't buy it.

Someone in the 50% coupon thread a couple of days ago was kind enough to warn me that if it's a Web | Mobile book, then you can only read it online via the website, or one of the mobile phone apps.

They no longer seem to have the Web | Mobile description on their pages, but contrast The New World, a former Web | Mobile freebie which now has no Download Options description on its page, with Speed Dating, a freebie which does, and is available as Adobe DRM ePub.

Long story short (too late!): only get books which explicitly say in the Download Options that they're ePub or PDF. If that info's missing, you'd better hope you enjoy reading on your phone.
Thanks for the explanation. The thing that has me confused though is that it says it can be read on a Kobo reader as well. Kobo readers don't have browsers or even web access necessarily.

Edit: I clicked on the "more" and it said this book can be read on the Kobo ereader and other "select" ereaders. No other explanation of what that means though so I sent an e-mail to their help desk to ask. I'll post what they answer when I hear from them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-19-2010 10-11-04 PM.png
Views:	452
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	63103  

Last edited by eric11210; 12-19-2010 at 03:17 PM.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Kobo readers can sync via the Kobo Desktop app, which stores its books in the Kobo proprietary format within an sqlite database which apparently the Mobile apps also use.

The person who warned me in the other thread said that non-downloadable books weren't available to the reader via Desktop app sync, and koland upthread says that they are, so maybe something's changed in the meantime with the new firmware.

But the important point is, however these may work, if you don't have a Kobo reader yourself you won't be able to put them on any other.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote