Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
prsita
Enthusiast
prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: PRS 650
Features of the new prs

Afther the announcement of new improved prs on august, j ask myself the features of the new models.

J think that, regarding the software, they should:

- allow the changing of the fonts, providing at least 5 fonts as the new nook touch does;

- allow the changing of line spacing;

- change or improve the desktop software (calibre is so far much better);

-improve the navigation software (browser) of the 950;

Provide a better way to export notes.

Regarding the hardware, they should:

Implement wifi in all models

Include a recharger in all models.

Last edited by prsita; 07-17-2011 at 12:39 AM.
prsita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Plus
- folder browsing for loaded books
- tap for next/previous page (as well as the actual button or swipe)
- remove useless black bar above buttons
- higher resolution (like the iRiver HD)
- option to view three last read or last loaded (now only last loaded or 'new') on home page
- margins settings
- decent (solid and unbreakable) stylus

Last edited by adbosch; 07-17-2011 at 02:29 AM.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Or, a bit of an ipad.... ?

I just want a book !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
How about a search capability?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
UpSpin
Enthusiast
UpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Sony PRS-650
If they really want to make something worth the additional money, they have to make something special and not just another Kindle.
- larger display (not only larger in height as they did with the 950, but also in width)
- faster refresh times. Current eInk technology is fast (just hold the page switch button and you see how fast eInk can work, or take a look at some videos which show that you can play games on them). So if you open a menu, don't do the full refresh thing (black, white, text) just show me the menu, I don't care if in a menu is a shadow from the background text.
- add a Wacom pen. I don't necessarily need a touchscreen, most often I change the pages with the buttons. And if I use the pen, then I use it to annotate or highlight something, so they could integrate a really useful pen, just as every Tablet PC has or even the Pocketbook.
- make compatible annotations and add a powerful note taking app. Maybe allow us to export them to Microsoft Journal and Office OneNote. In a PDF file use the markup standard so we can save the PDF file and open the PDF file on the PC and view the annotations in Adobe Reader.
- improve the current software, make the Reader faster and more customizable, PRS+ shows what people like/need.
- Allow developers to code their own apps and add them to the reader, make some larger integrated apps Open-Source, so developers can improve them (note taking app, PDF reader, ePUB reader)
- Keep the borders of the device small, I love the look of the Sony Reader.

Such an eReader is a powerful eReader, it's flexible and people can and will improve it on their own, it's a sunlight readable notebook you can draw sketches on it or take lecture notes, it would be the first real device capable replacing paper, because of the eInk display, Wacom pen, large display and flexible software.
UpSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And such an ereader would be useless to many of us... whole point for most people is a leisure reader for fiction that can be easily carried, fits in a pocket or can be slipped in a handbag... we don't want an academic study device or business tool that's too large to do these things... I have a tablet, a notebook and a desktop PC as well as a smartphone... for my reading all I want is a device I can comfortably read on for entertainment, for long periods without eyestrain that I can take anywhere all the time (wow, I've got that already - it's my 505 and 650)... it doesn't need most of your suggested "improvements" which may be ideal for you and some others but would immediately make it of no interest to many others...

If they go this route then it should be the top-end premium device not the main thrust for a new machine...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Yes, I hope they stick to the 5" size!
(and I'm not that interested in wifi)
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
prsita
Enthusiast
prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

J apologize in advance for my poor english. Those one j had suggested are minor changes (expecially the software changes) costing not much (j would also include the possibility to add new dictionaries, that sony could sell).

If you want to justify the price of 300 dollars or more you have to introduce maior changes

On this side, j expect something that is not a simple reader, but something else. Do you know the word convergence?

You can think a reader, with a high resolution display, even of 5 inches, but that has not a simple wifi (as kindle and nook) but have a telephone 3 or 4 g in it. It would be the first cellular telephone that use the e-ink tech (that in sunlight work well and consume low energy). J also would add solar cells for recharging it.

But mine is only a dream. The fact is that international companies (except Apple, beccasse there is Steve) Are more burocratic than innovative and prefer to' improve (perhaps coping f rom the others) with no risk. But a old rule say that .... If you don't risk, you don't make big money (and, more important to' me, you will not remembered by the Story).

Last edited by prsita; 07-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not only do I know the word convergence, I'm beginning to detest it... I (and a lot of other people) do not want an all-singing, all-dancing "thing" for reading books... we want a BOOK READING device that does that and does it well... I've got a smartphone, a tablet, a notebook, a desktop etc and can read on all of them but I don't want to, I don't like it... I like reading on my 6" eInk screen Sonys (you can include Wi-Fi or 3G if you have to D/L a book anywhere but I've never felt the need) which are eReaders. I never expected to answer the phone on a pbook and I don't want it on my eReader.

You don't have to add non-essential junk to justify a higher price, you just need to make it the best of kind... and the Sony is better built and feels better and I like it better than other eReaders, that's good enough for me and for others...
Old 07-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
prsita
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Not only do I know the word convergence, I'm beginning to detest it... I (and a lot of other people) do not want an all-singing, all-dancing "thing" for reading books... we want a BOOK READING device that does that and does it well... I've got a smartphone, a tablet, a notebook, a desktop etc and can read on all of them but I don't want to, I don't like it... I like reading on my 6" eInk screen Sonys (you can include Wi-Fi or 3G if you have to D/L a book anywhere but I've never felt the need) which are eReaders. I never expected to answer the phone on a pbook and I don't want it on my eReader.

You don't have to add non-essential junk to justify a higher price, you just need to make it the best of kind... and the Sony is better built and feels better and I like it better than other eReaders, that's good enough for me and for others...
Everyone of us wants the planet according with his preferences.

Here we are discussing of something else: if sony wants only entry level readers must ask a price similar to' kindle or nook touch.

But if wants to' also produce premium devices asking a premium price must offer something new and more complex than a simple ereader.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard

It's not wanting "the planet" to my preferences but wanting an ereader to my and others preferences... if you browse here for a few years , you will find that there are at least two sets of wants - those who want a GOOD quality ereader and those who want something that includes ereading but will make the tea & toast as well.

Funnily enough (and contrary to your assertion) those of us who want a good quality ereader, are actually prepared to pay a premium for it... using your example, we don't want a build down to the Kindle range at Kindle prices... we'd like the Kindle prices but if it means keeping the quality then we'll pay more for it... and that's a premium device, not necessarily the bells & whistles you stuff in it...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
prsita
Enthusiast

A premium price for a reader with a 6 inch screen manifactured by Sony could be maximum 50 dollars above the price of a kindle or a nook touch (so 180- 190 us dollars).

In the Bloomberg article they talked about a 300 dollars device. J don't think they will sell much if they propose at this price a simple reader with a screen of 6, even if they put in it the wifi and even with the quality of Sony.

But for you the rules of the market seem not much important.

Last edited by prsita; 07-17-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsita View Post
A premium price for a reader with a 6 inch screen manifactured by Sony could be maximum 50 dollars above the price of a kindle or a nook touch (so 180- 190 us dollars).

In the Bloomberg article they talked about a 300 dollars device. J don't think they will sell much if they propose at this price a simple reader with a screen of 6, even if they put in it the wifi and even with the quality of Sony.

But is the Bloomberg article pricing related to last gen prices, current gen prices or an invention as Sony themselves say... personally I prefer facts not rumours, insider stories, unattributed comments etc. Item price vs competition is a little difficult to make when rating facts against possible fiction... and one thing about the "rules of the market" is they aren't cast in stone and there are always exceptions...
Old 07-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Actually, other than subfolder support, and maybe the ability to mark books as read or unread on the device, I am very happy with my 650, at the price.

Maybe a little more control over the font size, I use S or M most times, and sometimes S is too small and M is too large. But I can live with it.

I agree with those that want a READER. Not a do all device. I have no need for wifi, in fact I actively DO NOT WANT IT. I have no need for a Wacom pen. I have no need for tapping to change pages (the bottons or swipe is fine). I have no need for for new software, Calibre works great, and there is no way for Sony to duplicate Calibre, as if they tried, by the time it came out, it would be behind Calibre.

WRT for showing which books on the home page, look to the sticky on the Book Order tool. And why would you want the last three books read anyway? I want the NEXT 3 I will read. But that is hard for the unit to read my mind as to which one I want to read next.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsita View Post

The $300 price relates to the 7-inch 950. I don't know how many they produced but whatever the quantity, they must have sold them out in the 8 months since they were introduced as they are nearly impossible to find. I bought one -- thereby ignoring the rules of the market -- and think I have the best ebook reader available. I can't think of one thing Sony did wrong with the 950.

Would I have liked to pay less for the 950? Sure. I'm always in favor in paying less. But I didn't hesitate to pay the $300 for the 950 because I think the 950 is worth double the Kindle and the Nook on build quality alone.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote