Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 05:08 AM   #16
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
I wait for plastic substrat e-ink. Thinner, lighter and unbreakable devices.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 AM   #17
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
All of my current books could be easily converted with Calibre and it would pretty much be business as usual for me, except that I could read French books and use the read to me feature. I also am interested in getting a newspaper wirelessly delivered to me every morning. .
How does that work? I have a Sony and am unable to convert the books from my Sony to my new Kindle DX ( which I adore) or just dont know how. Love to know how its done please. Pm's are fine.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:31 AM   #18
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
If there was another 8" device out there that I could buy for less than $400 AUD I'd get it, assuming it had better battery life than my iliad (not hard I know!) and full epub support.

But, sadly, there isn't, I've found that 6" is just barely manageable, 5" is too small, and 10" is too big for my reading habits. my 8" iliad is perfect.

So, my deciding factor is the screen size at the moment. The newer iRex thingo might do the trick but I have a feeling if it ever actually gets sold, it'll be for a fair bit more than the $400.

So for now, I'm sticking with the iLiad.
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Yes, I would. I really like the Boox, and it has touch screen. Or a tablet, 10", running Win7 or WinXP for the Kindle App and National Geographic Magazine. (and everything else I might be able to run on it!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #20
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
When Sony combine the clarity of my old 505 with the functionality of my new 600, they'll enjoy selling me my third eBook Reader.

I love Apple, and I will buy the rumoured tablet almost regardless of what it does or where it is pitched at - but I will use it for internet, movies, music and game. eInk is my very strong preference for relaxed enjoyment of books.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #21
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'm happy that I upgraded/replaced my Sony 505 for a Kindle in October (mainly for the dictionary reason), but if it was right now, I'd probably wait a few more months and see what happens.

I'm also really happy with the Wikipedia lookup, and the physical keyboard for notetaking, and the overall slightly larger fotprint of the device that gives you something to hold on to, which is more comfortable.

BTW, I don't think that the text-to-speech would work that great with French. It has an English accent - so French read aloud in a English machine-accent? I just tried now with a Danish book Mostly unintelligeble. How do you think it would work with those French accents
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think there are big things in store for ebook readers in 2010. I'm looking forward to seeing the Que, the Sony 900 and I suspect Amazon will have something for us as well. I don't expect color e-ink to become affordable nor oled, but will be interested in seeing what comes up. For now I'm very happy with my 505 and my K2.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #23
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
For now I'm really happy with my reader.

I'm going to buy a new one when the refresh speed increases significantly, and becomes more like a tablet then only a reading device. Reading will still be it's main purpose tho.

8" will probably be my ideal size for a while especially when ereaders become multi-purpose.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #24
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I love my Sony 505. I have no need for a multipurpose ebook reader (I don't even use the mp3 function on mine), but I would like to eventually buy a second reader with a larger screen and a wacom touch screen (or any sort of touch screen that I can mark-up and does not affect the quality of the screen), as I translate a lot of texts which I would like to be able to write notes on; a keyboard would be of no use, as I don't exclusively latin-based letters. I would also like to be able to mark-up journal articles and such; I can read journal articles just fine on my 6 inch screen, but I think that I would need at least an 8 inch screen to have enough room for notes. As it is, I write my notes in a notebook that I keep in my purse along with my reader. I would like to see Sony or Amazon come up with a larger screen with a stylus, as I can see that the DR1000 has had some mixed reviews and is very pricey. The 9.7 inch screen that pocketbook has announced looks appealing, however I think I will wait until there are a few larger screened devices out there until I pick one up. If only the upcoming Sony 900 were a little larger...
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #25
caxandra
Enthusiast
caxandra began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story
Got on the ebook train two months ago and ate all I could until I decided quickly on the iriver story.
No internet there, but then no problems with that either =)
The screen is good enough to read from
The mp3 works nicely
Writing works just fine, just notes, and reminders so far...
But the irritating thing, no fun things to buy for it.
Only one case/bag is out there.
All the others are way ahead there...

But I had it for almost a month and I'm so happy!
I read a lot, if I can a book or two a day, commuter.
So I acctually already "saved" some money.
The device cost 2700 sek and a paperback is about 65 sek.
Downloaded legally about 30 books and bought antoher 9. so...
39 books x 65 sek is 2535 sek.
So a couple of more boks this week and I'm home!
Read more, smoke less and there, another 1400 sek.

So yes, in my position a buy was reallly smart =)

But I guess that next year the ebooks will explode!
So when I finally break mine I will be able to get another cheap in two years or so with all the goodies inside =)
caxandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #26
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by caxandra View Post
But I guess that next year the ebooks will explode!
So when I finally break mine I will be able to get another cheap in two years or so with all the goodies inside =)
I think it would be funny if they actually did explode (faulty batteries or some other problem).
I do hope that 2010 or 2011 sees the end of the stagnant e-ink phase, and quality devices can make today's offerings obsolete enough to be had at garage sales for $20usd, like you can find with old scientific calculators.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #27
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I think there are big things in store for ebook readers in 2010.
Definitely.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If money were no object... yes... I would buy...

2 Kindle2s. 1 to replace my K1 and a Kindle for the spousal unit.

1 DR1000S for technical and work documents.

2. DR1000S for each of my kids in college.

1 Sony 600... cause it looks cool and I could read library books on it without playing the "liberate" game.

But, since I have yet to win the powerball this month... I will not be buying any more readers at this time. The Kindle Classic does what I need.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #29
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
How does that work? I have a Sony and am unable to convert the books from my Sony to my new Kindle DX ( which I adore) or just dont know how. Love to know how its done please. Pm's are fine.
Depends on what format you have. If it is a commercial ebook in epub or something like this, you will have to remove the DRM and the Calibre can convert it. If it is a freebie from here, you can download the new format or ave Calibre convert the file you already have. All of my books are either liberated epub/ereader converted to HTML, or else unencrypted LRF from Fictionwise multiformat books or downloads here. So for me easy to convert.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #30
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If money were no object... yes... I would buy...

2 Kindle2s. 1 to replace my K1 and a Kindle for the spousal unit.

1 DR1000S for technical and work documents.

2. DR1000S for each of my kids in college.

1 Sony 600... cause it looks cool and I could read library books on it without playing the "liberate" game.

But, since I have yet to win the powerball this month... I will not be buying any more readers at this time. The Kindle Classic does what I need.

BOb
Ah yes, If money were no object I would also get a DR1000S for my translations / journal articles, a Sony 900 because it looks awesome all round and a Kindle DX for PDF's and for the occasional novel. Also a few Sony 300's to give as gifts to friends and family. And a maybe a Pocketpro.
I have to admit, however, that even after acquiring all that with my imaginary money I believe that the Sony 505 would probably be the reader most found in my purse As it stands, I don't believe that I will be purchasing a new reader for another few years. Now, if someone were to get me one as a present, however....
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote