Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
ePub 3 reader - AZARDI with samples

Infogrid Pacific have made a major feature update release to AZARDI, the reference ePub Reader with Release 2. It remain a strict ePub reader, but AZARDI now contains a full ePub Package checker and a component editor.

That means from your desktop you can open a book, conformance check the package, edit the XHTML files, CSS, and OPF package files, save your changes and with one click, repackage the book and be reading in only seconds, all in a single desktop environment. Download AZARDI Release 2 here. For more information read the FAQ page here and the Blog post here.

The problem with any highly specified file+zip packaged format, like ePub, is that even the smallest defect or change means going back through the packaging process. Add to this that the competent tools currently available for checking (the Online epubcheck service) are a bit opaque and you don't really know whats going on. AZARDI not only lists its specific package checks, it gives a detailed printable report that includes full file statistics. In future versions the quantity and detail of the checks will increase, especially for more advanced ePub books. AZARDI doesn't give specific recommendations for file size and devices because devices and their capabilities will continue to change and we don't want our validation locked into any specific platform. The detailed file reports let you decide if any resource is too large for your target reader.

We made ePub publishing/republishing as easy as it can be with eScape (ODT to ePub Packager), but only if you formatted your book using the eScape methods in the first place. For those who use manual techniques or other production systems, unzipping the file, making manual changes, and then repackaging in the right sequence is just a bit tedious. To bring a bit of fun back into optimizing your ePubs, or making those last little tweaks to the CSS, you now have the option of using AZARDI Release 2.
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
[note: Windows only, no Mac version]

Otherwise, looks like it could be an interesting addition to a Windows user's toolkit ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
tylerdurden51
tylerdurden51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
nice!
tylerdurden51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'd managed to overlook this till last night - Nice indeed, although remember to explictly "Save" after edits before packaging as a new ePub.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
There is a small upgrade to AZARDI that lets you change the default Library and resource locations. Read about it here.
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Code:
Linux (Deb) version will be available shortly.
Pretty please?

TIA.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am running Windows XP Pro and I did download and install the latest Azadi and I can run it. But when I select an ePub file to view, nothing happens. What can be done to fix things so Azardi works?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm - I was using R2 with no problems on XP - downloading R2-1 to try now...

Works here...

Do you get the green right/left arrows or the TOC button active? Maybe there's something it doesn't like on the 1st page & you can step on/past that?

Last edited by gwynevans; 04-25-2009 at 10:44 AM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is odd. All of a sudden it started to work.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
CrystalEYE
ePub investigator
CrystalEYE began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-505, Amazon Kindle 2, Apple iPad, iPhone (iBooks, stanza)
Do I need to configure it in any way to show me images?

I just tested a ePUB that I converted myself.
This epub file works fine on the Sony PRS-505, in ADE and epubcheck doesnt have any complaints. But when I open it in AZARDI, all images are gone!?
CrystalEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
akashigp
akashigp began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you are installing AZARDI on a 64bit version of Vista you may have to edit the configuration file to
view some image formats. From the installation location, normally c://Program Files(x86)/infogridpacific/azardi locate the file qt.config.

Open this in a text editor.
Find this line:
Prefix = C:/Program Files/infogridpacific/azardi
Edit it to read
Prefix = C:/Program Files (x86)/infogridpacific/azardi

Save the file and reopen AZARDI.
akashigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:02 AM   #12
CrystalEYE
ePub investigator
CrystalEYE began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-505, Amazon Kindle 2, Apple iPad, iPhone (iBooks, stanza)
No, Im running Win XP SP2 on a Mac OS X 10.5.6 via VM Ware Fusion.
CrystalEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
I downloaded this programme onto my computer as I wanted to start a library of books (as I will be buying a wizpac txtr when it comes out). However when I downloaded an epub book, I was asked what programme I would like to use to read the file. I tried searching for azardi and can't find it, even though I have a desktop icon for it.

Could someone please help! Though could you speak plainly as I'm not a computer whizz.
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
Or if they is any better and easier programmes to use I would be thankful for the advice.

SWT
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese bogart View Post
I downloaded this programme onto my computer as I wanted to start a library of books (as I will be buying a wizpac txtr when it comes out). However when I downloaded an epub book, I was asked what programme I would like to use to read the file. I tried searching for azardi and can't find it, even though I have a desktop icon for it.

Could someone please help! Though could you speak plainly as I'm not a computer whizz.
You don't have to choose any program to use to view the ePub. Just save it to where you've configured Azardi's library and you can then launch Azardi to view this ePub.