Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #916
toeragamuffin
toeragamuffin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Do the kobo designers read this? For god's sake, allow the user to turn off auto firmware update! My partner accidentally turned wifi on and instead of being able to read for 20 minutes had to put up with the long update process. What's worse, it updated to firmaware 2! Now page turns are slow. Forcing a user to update is the worst idea especially given the well known awfulness of firmware 2.
toeragamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #917
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
After a couple of weeks of KT ownership, these are my requests (few of them new, from what I've read, but hopefully numbers count!) Overall, it is a great thing with so much potential, but it is being let down by several oddities.

1. Very important: no forced updates to the firmware. Let me know that there is an upgrade available, then let me decide when/whether to do it.

2. Add an option to get rid of the carousel, or at least allow a list instead of the really ugly book-cover thing. Better yet, show a list/selection of recently used Shelves.

3. Fix the database bug that doesn't allow the same title to be put back on the KT after it has been deleted. (I think this is the same request as "tidy up the database properly when books are removed" that I have seen elsewhere.)

4. Configuration options for the sensitivity of the screen. This would hopefully reduce the number of missed/multiple page turns. Even better, if possible, differentiate between the actions for "This is me wanting to turn a page" and "This is me wanting to select something".

5. On a similar theme, add more configurations for page-turning sectors. One I would like is left- and right-sides do the same thing (either page "back" or "forward", depending on setting), and centre column to do the opposite setting. I would rarely need the page back setting if I could set it to turn forward at either side of the screen.

6. Add some way to order annotations logically. At the moment, they seem to be added to the list randomly. Also, allow tapping of highlights to go straight to the annotation associated with it (if it is supposed to do that already, I can't make it work).

7. I'm not overly concerned by the lack of a power meter permanently on the screen as long as there is a pop-up warning of low battery (the Jetbook has this at about 100 page turns left). So, one or the other, please - permanent power meter or pop-up.

8. A setting to turn the screen landscape. Again, the Jetbook has this, and it is very useful.

9. Fix the erratic behaviour of the drag-selectors. The chances of getting a clean selection on mine are very low - the selection leaps all over the page like a drunken grasshopper!

10. Nice, but not vital, would be a notepad function. This would presumably not take a lot of work, since it would be a variation of the Annotations function. Perhaps it could replace the rather pointless sketchbook (apologies to anyone who enjoys that function).

11. At some point in the future, it would be nice to make all this user-configurable, perhaps via the Kobo Desktop.

Of course, I add my voice to those wanting an end to the slow page turns - just because I haven't had that problem doesn't mean that I don't think that it is unacceptable. I hate to think how unbearable I would be if I was having to put up with it!! Also, I look forward to improvements in the way the Shelves work, along the lines of the suggestions recently made by others. They have the potential to be a really powerful tool for managing larege numbers of books, especially if some form of cross-referencing and ordering are adopted.

Keep up the good work!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #918
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
2. Add an option to get rid of the carousel, or at least allow a list instead of the really ugly book-cover thing. Better yet, show a list/selection of recently used Shelves.
I don't mind the carousel, but I would like to be able to choose a shelf to display. Being able to scroll through it would be nice as well.

Actually, get rid of the carousel. I can't spell it and I have to look it up each time.
Quote:

3. Fix the database bug that doesn't allow the same title to be put back on the KT after it has been deleted. (I think this is the same request as "tidy up the database properly when books are removed" that I have seen elsewhere.)
That is a new one to me. Is this only for sideloaded books? And if so, through calibre, or if you add them manually?

While I say it is new to me, I think I have seen the database in this state. Doing a sync with the Kobo desktop or WiFi will do the database cleanup. Deleting the book using calibre will also prevent this from happening. Though a new driver might help

Quote:
5. On a similar theme, add more configurations for page-turning sectors. One I would like is left- and right-sides do the same thing (either page "back" or "forward", depending on setting), and centre column to do the opposite setting. I would rarely need the page back setting if I could set it to turn forward at either side of the screen.
I think splitting horizontally for the direction would be good as well.
Quote:

6. Add some way to order annotations logically. At the moment, they seem to be added to the list randomly. Also, allow tapping of highlights to go straight to the annotation associated with it (if it is supposed to do that already, I can't make it work).
I have always assumed they are random. If you want to be more confused, have a few pages of annotations and delete the first one.

Quote:
8. A setting to turn the screen landscape. Again, the Jetbook has this, and it is very useful.
Yes please.
Quote:
10. Nice, but not vital, would be a notepad function. This would presumably not take a lot of work, since it would be a variation of the Annotations function. Perhaps it could replace the rather pointless sketchbook (apologies to anyone who enjoys that function).
Nice idea. I understand why they have the sketchbook (useful exercise for programmer learning about the touch screen), but it is pointless for us.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #919
Albertde
Albertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it is

Device: Repurposed Fire 7 &10 epub/pdf reader-Kobo Nia: KOReader & Plato
To the people wanting shelves to act like folders, that would be a mistake. I use shelves like "tags" (labels if you don't understand what tags are). So a book could go on several shelves and they do.
Albertde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #920
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Being able to scroll through it would be nice as well.
Oh, yes! This, please!!!

Quote:
That is a new one to me. Is this only for sideloaded books? And if so, through calibre, or if you add them manually?
All my books are sideloaded epubs - I have too many yet to read to need to buy from the Kobo store! The problem arose when I was first loading and unloading (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=6). The book was "The War of the Worlds", which would not go back on until I removed "The". However, I've just reread my post, and your reply to it - I did it wrong in the first place, so I duly remove that request!

Quote:
I think splitting horizontally for the direction would be good as well.
Yes, I didn't specify that, but it is a natural corollary of wanting landscape as well, isn't it?

Quote:
If you want to be more confused, have a few pages of annotations and delete the first one.
Now you are frightening me!!!
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #921
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertde View Post
To the people wanting shelves to act like folders, that would be a mistake. I use shelves like "tags" (labels if you don't understand what tags are). So a book could go on several shelves and they do.
Thanks, Albertde. That is a far better description of what I think I was trying to say.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #922
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
6. ... Also, allow tapping of highlights to go straight to the annotation associated with it (if it is supposed to do that already, I can't make it work).
I had another go at this today, and found out I had been defeated by the lack of accuracy on the screen (or my wonky fingers!) I can indeed go to an annotation by tapping on the highlight. Apologies.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #923
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
4. ... Even better, if possible, differentiate between the actions for "This is me wanting to turn a page" and "This is me wanting to select something".
By accident, I found that the KT responds to a stylised page-turning motion (dragging a digit fairly quickly right-to-left moves the page forward, and vice-versa). So , another one to knock off the list!

So, after a couple of days, we are left with:

1. Very important: no forced updates to the firmware. Let me know that there is an upgrade available, then let me decide when/whether to do it.

3. If the carousel must remain, some ability to scroll through it would be good.

4. Configuration options for the sensitivity of the screen. This would hopefully reduce the number of missed/multiple page turns.

5. On a similar theme, add more configurations for page-turning sectors. One I would like is left- and right-sides do the same thing (either page "back" or "forward", depending on setting), and centre column to do the opposite setting. I would rarely need the page back setting if I could set it to turn forward at either side of the screen. Also, support for horizontal sectors.

6. Add some way to order annotations logically. At the moment, they seem to be added to the list randomly.

7. I'm not overly concerned by the lack of a power meter permanently on the screen as long as there is a pop-up warning of low battery (the Jetbook has this at about 100 page turns left). So, one or the other, please - permanent power meter or pop-up.

9. Fix the erratic behaviour of the drag-selectors. The chances of getting a clean selection on mine are very low - the selection leaps all over the page like a drunken grasshopper! (Apparently this may already fixed in the Japanese 2.1.1 release.)

11. At some point in the future, it would be nice to make all this user-configurable, perhaps via the Kobo Desktop.

12. Fix the slow page turns (Again, from reading another thread, this might have been dealt with in 2.1.1)

13. Keep improving the way the Shelves work, along the lines of the suggestions recently made by others. They have the potential to be a really powerful tool for managing large numbers of books, especially if some form of cross-referencing and ordering are adopted.

Last edited by Peakcrew; 08-27-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Removed sentence
Old 08-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #924
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Mmmm but please leave the option to keep it too, it's pretty and I like it (despite its functionality issues).

Quote:
3. If the carousel must remain, some ability to scroll through it would be good.

Quote:
Low battery warning please, and NOT a permanent power meter on the screen! I want reading to stay reading, without constant reminders of electronics...

Quote:
I don't mind the carousel, but I would like to be able to choose a shelf to display.
Nice idea, yes please!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #925
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By accident, I found that the KT responds to a stylised page-turning motion (dragging a digit fairly quickly right-to-left moves the page forward, and vice-versa). So , another one to knock off the list!
So, you didn't read the "Welcome to Kobo" guide? Or the help? Both actually have some helpful hints.

Quote:
4. Configuration options for the sensitivity of the screen. This would hopefully reduce the number of missed/multiple page turns.
Not directly connected to this, but it occurred to me that part of the sensitivity issue is that it pressing for a while triggers the highlighting. That might explain why some people feel that a light tap will turn the page, but a longer press doesn't. And there is probably a point in there which is to long to turn the page, but not long enough to trigger the highlight.
Quote:
Interestingly, the "Welcome to Kobo" guide has an button in the bottom menu. This has zoom and rotate options when pressed.
Quote:
9. Fix the erratic behaviour of the drag-selectors. The chances of getting a clean selection on mine are very low - the selection leaps all over the page like a drunken grasshopper! (Apparently this may already fixed in the Japanese 2.1.1 release.)
I've been doing a lot of annotations in the last few days while reading a book. I keep wanting to scream when I try to adjust the highlights.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #926
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Mmmm but please leave the option to keep it too, it's pretty and I like it (despite its functionality issues).
Oh, yes - there should be no reason not to offer a choice. I know from reading the forums that there are people very attached to the carousel.

Quote:
Low battery warning please, and NOT a permanent power meter on the screen! I want reading to stay reading, without constant reminders of electronics...
I think that would be the optimum solution, personally, but, again, I don't see why it can't be configurable (in the setup menu:Power Meter On/Off). This sort of display option is quite common on e.g. mobile phones.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #927
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
So, you didn't read the "Welcome to Kobo" guide? Or the help? Both actually have some helpful hints.
I did, but couldn't make it work, so I think I assumed that it was one of those nice things that had gone MIA during one of the firmware updates (not an unreasonable assumption!) It was only when trying to highlight something yesterday that the cat jogged my hand, and the page turned the opposite way than the selection-zone was set to.

Quote:
Not directly connected to this, but it occurred to me that part of the sensitivity issue is that it pressing for a while triggers the highlighting. That might explain why some people feel that a light tap will turn the page, but a longer press doesn't. And there is probably a point in there which is to long to turn the page, but not long enough to trigger the highlight.
Yes, I have come to this conclusion, too. There seems to be a 'grey area' in which nothing will happen. Not a bad thing, but it takes some getting used to.

Quote:
Interestingly, the "Welcome to Kobo" guide has an button in the bottom menu. This has zoom and rotate options when pressed.
I hadn't noticed that when I was doing my rapid "how does this thing work?" scan when I first got it. I'll have to find the file and put it back on my KT.

Quote:
I've been doing a lot of annotations in the last few days while reading a book. I keep wanting to scream when I try to adjust the highlights.
Oh, yes - I know that feeling so well!!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #928
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Not directly connected to this, but it occurred to me that part of the sensitivity issue is that it pressing for a while triggers the highlighting. That might explain why some people feel that a light tap will turn the page, but a longer press doesn't.
Hah, interesting. I've found the long tap to highlight a word annoyingly slow for response... That might be firmware 2, but I'm not sure. Your comment gave me an idea: it might be nice to have a user definable option to set page turns to swipe only, and with that, short taps can be for highlighting... I would personally really like that.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #929
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
... it might be nice to have a user definable option to set page turns to swipe only, and with that, short taps can be for highlighting... I would personally really like that.
Yes, me too! That way an accidental tap would just highlight a word, not turn the page (note comments about cats earlier! )
Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #930
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hah, interesting. I've found the long tap to highlight a word annoyingly slow for response... That might be firmware 2, but I'm not sure. Your comment gave me an idea: it might be nice to have a user definable option to set page turns to swipe only, and with that, short taps can be for highlighting... I would personally really like that.
With 2.0.0, I find it easier to swipe down the page. This brings the highlighting menu up without selecting anything. Then a tap on a word will select it. Of course, you have to be accurate with the tap. And make sure the cat doesn't bump the hand.

The other change with 2.0.0 is that once the highlighting menu is up, you can add multiple highlight or annotations.