Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2008, 06:05 AM   #61
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
Ah, thanks. Just got my iLiad and I love it!
Is it possible to use a bluetooth keyboard with the iLiad?
I'm thinking of the Dinovo Mini.

I took a quick look at the filesystem and couldn't find the xorg.conf. Or the X11 folder for that matter. Does the iLiad use the framebuffer?
Iliad uses framebuffer.

Iliad has no native bluetooth support. You could add an external bluetooth adapter to the USB port and install the needed drivers. I don't know if anyone has ever really done it.

Iliad can support external USB keyboards, but requires some software hacks, its somewhere on this forum...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #62
bobj
Enthusiast
bobj is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Dabon, thanks for the excellent questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabon View Post
1. I do not want to install xshell on my internal memory (do not want to take a chance to brick my iliad, even if iva an unbreakable one...), I have installed it on my CF and I am wondering what I might be missing doing that?
My installer about as safe as you can get, and it modifies no system files. Your concern seems to stem from my ambiguous usage of the term "internal memory." I don't mean the root filesystem where the sensitive files live. Instead I'm referring to a separate internal "storage filesystem" (located at /mnt/free). It behaves like a hardwired 128MB CF card, and functions as such when no external memory is attached. No sensitive files live there.

You use this, and everything else on this forum, at your own risk. For the above reasons, xshell/mrxvt is relatively quite safe.

Quote:
2. with the previous mrxvt software we did not have to install anything, do we have to install the Xshell software before using the software??? what is the instalation really for?? and can I just install on the CF and not the internal memory?? all my other software are installed on the CF?
You do not have to install to use. As Wallcraft pointed out, "Run standalone" will run mrxvt for you.

The "installation" allows you to easily run text-based programs like elinks from the iLiad's menu system. Otherwise you must perform a more advanced procedure. (I will post to the elinks thread.)

I set the default to "internal storage memory" because I want xshell to be accessible even if the iLiad's CF card reader pins get bent. I anticipate someday soon an interactive version of "unbrickable" that may require xshell on internal memory. For this reason I'm reluctant, but I could easily add an option for installing to the CF card if that makes people feel more comfortable.

Quote:
3. What steps should I take (installation, launching...) before installing the elinks text-based web browser that I want to use so much....
I will answer this on the elinks thread.

I hope these answers were understandable. If not, please ask more.
bobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #63
Dabon
Connoisseur
Dabon doesn't litterDabon doesn't litter

Device: iliad V2; ipad 2-64GB,3G
Thank you!

Dear wallcraft and Bobj,

Thank you for your excellent responses and suggestions. I have responded to you in the elink thread.

Thank you very much,

Take good care!

Dabon.

Last edited by Dabon; 06-18-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Dabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #64
M@rcel
Connoisseur
M@rcel began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad
Hi,

I installed xshell and, although it starts and is functional, it creates a file errors.txt in the _xshell\mrxvt directory. This happens with both the installed and the standalone versions (in different mrxvt directories obviously).

The contents of the file:
Code:
./xset:  bad font path element (#56), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
killall: mrxvt: no process killed
mrxvt: can't load font "9x15bold"
the fonts seem to be in the correct place (_xshell\mrxvt\fonts\misc)
Can this error be the cause of just a tiny window with very small font showing up?

Thanks!

Marcel
M@rcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 AM   #65
bobj
Enthusiast

Interesting... thanks for the bug report!

Is anyone else having this same problem???

The font should be this size.

Let's see...

The line "killall: mrxvt: no process killed" is supposed to be in the errors.txt file. (Note to self: I should have renamed errors.txt to messages.txt.)

The xset error is not supposed to be there, and is causing the mrxvt error, which indeed would cause your font to be tiny.

To Marcel or anyone else having this problem:
If possible, could you please add the line:
Quote:
echo $fontdir >> ./errors.txt 2>&1
to the end of the _xshell/startxshell file, start then exit xshell, and let me know the directory newly listed at the end of errors.txt?
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #66
M@rcel
Connoisseur

Thanks for responding

The problem has disappeared... I noticed a few other forum topics where problems disappeared the next day, but I guess I can add one to that list. I did reboot a few times to no avail, waiting untill the next day did the trick. Mysterious...

To complete the issue, I did change the shellscript upon your request, this is the new errors.txt:
Code:
killall: mrxvt: no process killed
/media/card/ZZZ_Installs/xshell-050-install/_xshell/mrxvt/fonts/misc
Just what I would expect.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #67
M@rcel
Connoisseur

I have created a few scripts to install xshell on the mmc. They seem to work, use at your own risk...

why mmc you ask? Well, I've decided to store all official iRex stuff on internal memory, all other software on mmc (1GByte which is never removed), and use cf and usb for data.
Attached Files
File Type: zip menu.zip (2.7 KB, 407 views)
Old 08-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #68
bobj
Enthusiast

Thanks Marcel. I'm sad we didn't fix the problem. Very strange. I see no exotic characters in your path that might foul up the command line.

I skimmed over your MMC install scripts. I haven't tested them, but it looks like you did them correctly. I approve.

I would have built in an MMC option, but I wanted maximal simplicity for installation. Basically, you can install xshell anywhere, so long as the file $HOME/.xshell points to the correct path.

If anyone has similar problems, please let me know so we can eliminate this issue. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #69
M@rcel
Connoisseur

well, the scripts were not totally without errors. I've changed /mnt/card into /media/card and df works as well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip menu.zip (2.7 KB, 381 views)