Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #16
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozza111 View Post
How do you get the additional French dictionaries?

I only got UK and US English as well as German.
Any chance to download French? Is it free?
Yes, they are free. You can either search for the free dictionaries in the kindle store or, if you open a French book, your kindle will have a pop up ask you if you would like to download a dictionary.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #17
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a better answer than my first one.

Amazon will provide a free and excellent Oxford Hachette French to English dictionary, but only (if I remember correctly) if you click on a French word on a kindle set to the English language.

If you set your kindle language to French, then click on a word in a French dictionary, it will download a modern French dictionary.

Here is my dictionary list, all free, apart from the top one, which I am borrowing through my Kindle Unlimited trial, but it’s only $1.99, so I’ll probably splash out when the trial ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0264AEF-33A5-4FBB-AA84-55CC87DCD325.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	538.4 KB
ID:	166437  
Advert
Old 09-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #18
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Thanks a lot!
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #19
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The Oasis 2 has poor battery life. It’s a known fact. You could ask for a replacement but the new one might be the same.
True, this is why I kept mine also. It's not great but there is no guarantee the next one will be better.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #20
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Thanks a lot!
You’re welcome!
Advert
Old 09-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #21
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post

Cons
- For me, appalling battery life of two days.
Your battery life is worse than mine. I recharge every 3 or 4 days. its maddening! inverting the black and white saves a lot of battery life but i hate reading that way.

I am on my 2nd Oasis. The first was the grey 8GB and I had to charge once a week now I have the champagne gold and I recharge 2 or 3 times a week
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:20 PM   #22
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Your battery life is worse than mine. I recharge every 3 or 4 days. its maddening! inverting the black and white saves a lot of battery life but i hate reading that way.

I am on my 2nd Oasis. The first was the grey 8GB and I had to charge once a week now I have the champagne gold and I recharge 2 or 3 times a week
I’m amazed reading with the inverted text saves battery life, for some reason I thought it would be the opposite (probably because the blurb said it uses a special type of hardware to achieve this, I assumed this meant it would be more battery intensive). I only use this very occasionally when I’m reading in the dark (mostly I use a light level of 1 with large font and bold in the dark).

Likewise, I’ve also changed from a grey to gold. I love gold devices, so I had to, really. Battery life with the grey was terrible, gold was terrible initially, then it became much better for a time with one particular firmware, now it’s back to being terrible again. I still love reading on it, though, so it can stay for now.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #23
Pjama
Guru

I got three days out of mine this week (Saturday til today) but only because I didn’t pick it up once on the middle day.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #24
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
I got three days out of mine this week (Saturday til today) but only because I didn’t pick it up once on the middle day.
Pjama you might be one of the ones who would get a better device if you replaced yours. I don't think it would be any worse and most likely a little better.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #25
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Is it maybe bad because of the jailbreak?

I had an 8gb grey model. I charged twice a week. (never updated firmware).

I am now on a 32gb grey model and so far I have also been charging about twice a week. I am on 5.9.2.0.1

Should I maybe stay on this FW?

How much reading do you guys do, because I am not reading that much at the moment.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Here is my dictionary list, all free, apart from the top one, which I am borrowing through my Kindle Unlimited trial, but it’s only $1.99, so I’ll probably splash out when the trial ends.
I didn't know a Latin/English dictionary was available for the Kindle. Is this the one published by Thomas McCarthy and Charlton Lewis?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I didn't know a Latin/English dictionary was available for the Kindle. Is this the one published by Thomas McCarthy and Charlton Lewis?
Yes, but they’ve called it a lexicon, it’s not a straightforward dictionary, but its useful to help decipher quotes. There is a student Latin to English dictionary by Thomas McCarthy too, not sure what that is like. Here's the link to the lexicon I downloaded: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...w_myk_ro_title

I would love for amazon to add Latin to their translation languages on the kindle...
Old 09-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #28
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Pjama you might be one of the ones who would get a better device if you replaced yours. I don't think it would be any worse and most likely a little better.
I already changed from a grey to a gold. The gold seemed better for a while, but it’s not lasting long at the moment. I’m hoping the next firmware update will improve things... I’m ok to live with it for now.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #29
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Is it maybe bad because of the jailbreak?

I had an 8gb grey model. I charged twice a week. (never updated firmware).

I am now on a 32gb grey model and so far I have also been charging about twice a week. I am on 5.9.2.0.1

Should I maybe stay on this FW?

How much reading do you guys do, because I am not reading that much at the moment.
Mine is not jail broken...

If you are charging twice a week when you are not even reading much, I don’t think you have anything to lose by updating the firmware.

I’m often reading around three/four hours a day.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #30
bozza111
Connoisseur

I will update the firmware but I will also do a before and after comparison on battery time - for science!