Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2018, 03:04 AM   #1
tangerino
tangerino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5th gen
Language Learning section is missing Pinyin option

The "Language Learning" section on my Kindle doesn't have a Pinyin option, only Word Wise and Vocabulary Builder. My Kindle Paperwhite 1st gen is updated to 5.6.1.1. Synced again just to be sure it's on the latest version. "Update your kindle" is greyed out.

Any ideas why it wouldn't be there? Is this an option only available on 2nd gen Paperwhites or later (though I don't see why any Kindle couldn't do it).

Does this option only appear if you have a Chinese book open? I've tried with the EPUB and Mobi here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24264
tangerino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I believe that it requires firmware 5.9.2 or greater, so it won't work on the original Paperwhite model.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
(To avoid double posts) 5.8.11 is enough for me
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I was wrong. Looking further I see this feature mentioned online in early 2017, so it was present in some of the 5.8.x firmware versions.

Still too late for the original PaperWhite which can only run firmware up to 5.6.1.1.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote