Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
nexisrocks
nexisrocks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Android App
Import Series to Kobo Android App

To start, I should note that none of my books are downloaded directly from Kobo into the app. I tend to prefer other websites for purchasing. The process I generally use is:
  • Download the book
  • Edit the metadata in Calibre
  • Transfer the book to my phone
  • Import to the Kobo app

Within the Kobo Android app, there are Collections and Series. I can use the Collections tab to organize these, but given the limited sorting options it's rather a pain. (To make them display correctly, I must perform separate import operations for each book and then Sort by Date.)

I would much prefer to have the books show up under the Series tab, which (I assume) would sort by series number. I have the series information loaded into calibre, but it does not seem to transfer* when I import the books into the Kobo app.

My best guess is that calibre does not store the series information in the place where the Kobo app is expecting to find it. But how to go about solving this -- for example, where is the Kobo app expecting this information? -- I don't know where to start.

Or am I way off, and doing this is not possible? Any help is much appreciated!
nexisrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, series information is not part of the standard for ePub2. Hence any app or device that stores or displays it is making up their own rules for it. It is very unlikely that the Kobo app is even looking for series info. For books purchased from them and downloaded to the app, the series info is supplied in a different manner. This is the same for the Kobo ereaders.

It is possible that an ePub3 will work. I believe series info is included in the ePub3 metadata, but I have no idea what, if anything, actually reads it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
nexisrocks
nexisrocks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Android App
Yeesh, that's annoying. Looks like I'm stuck with Collections for now.

Thanks for the info!
nexisrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android apps, calibre, series order