Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
accidentally restarted device with custom xorg.conf, now stuck on spinny tree

So I had these 3 files modified
/etc/xorg.conf
/etc/upstart/x.conf
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf

I accidentally ran `reboot`, instead of `restart x`.

Now I'm stuck on the tree image, with the spinny circle.

It mounts USB just fine.

I don't know if it is doing a file system repair, or if X won't start, or something else.

The next thing for me to do is put the file 'DO_FACTORY_RESTORE' on the root, and start all over from scratch, right?

How long do you all suppose I should wait before doing that?
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Do me a favor.
Plug it into a wall charger until you get an answer. This is to make sure the battery doesn't drain.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
lucida
Enthusiast
lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: PW3
can you ssh via usbnet, usb or wifi?
lucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You can stop now because waiting will not help.
The 'DO_FACTORY_RESTORE' will not correct changed system files.

You need to put an update_*.bin image file at top of visible USB storage and re-boot the Kindle to start its install.

In the future, mount -bind your changed file onto the system tree file - -
When things screw up - all you have to do to get rid of that 'change' is reboot the system, not re-install the system.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucida View Post
can you ssh via usbnet, usb or wifi?

No, since I rebooted the device, sshd isn't running.
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
have you intalled rescue pack?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You can stop now because waiting will not help.
The 'DO_FACTORY_RESTORE' will not correct changed system files.

You need to put an update_*.bin image file at top of visible USB storage and re-boot the Kindle to start its install.

In the future, mount -bind your changed file onto the system tree file - -
When things screw up - all you have to do to get rid of that 'change' is reboot the system, not re-install the system.
Ah, thanks. I'll go ahead and start over with 'update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin' and learn my lessons. Thanks for the input all.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
have you intalled rescue pack?
no, but looking at it, it looks like I should :-)
Old 08-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Ah, thanks. I'll go ahead and start over with 'update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin' and learn my lessons. Thanks for the input all.
This is the first time in years that we have been able to 'fix' our own mistakes using an Amazon image file.

The original Kindle Touch was the last model where it was 'easy' to downgrade and start over.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
coplate
Guru

So this is interesting,

I ran 'update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin', and everything restored, and KUAL is still working, and so are some apps in it, like the mahjong I was playing with.

usbnet is not working right however. I'm not sure if I have to reinstall the jailbreak or just reinstall usbnet

Edit - I wasn't able to re-install usbnet, and I did not try doing the usbnet uninstall followed by install.

I did go ahead and redid the installhtml and hotfixand everything looks good to me. usbnet is back up and running.

Last edited by coplate; 08-16-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

That is the factory testing image, not the same as the customer release.
Update that with the customer_5.7.4(.whatever) - find a link in Step #7 spoiler.

And the 'bridge' code should make the jb survive, both the downgrade and the upgrade.

Although it did not hurt anything to manually re-install both parts as you did.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #12
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
This is the first time in years that we have been able to 'fix' our own mistakes using an Amazon image file.

The original Kindle Touch was the last model where it was 'easy' to downgrade and start over.
Yes, from what I understood I thought Amazon stopped us from downgrading a while ago - so why can we downgrade now, before we actually jailbreak?
Did Amazon change something? Was I mistaken?
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
Yes, from what I understood I thought Amazon stopped us from downgrading a while ago - so why can we downgrade now, before we actually jailbreak?
Did Amazon change something? Was I mistaken?
They only changed it in the firmware packages that are released to the customers.

They never changed it in the factory packages, because factory packages where never intended to leave the factory.

It is only a production error that shipped them on some Kindles.

And of course, there are people here that keep a copy of anything that stands still long enough.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #14
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
They only changed it in the firmware packages that are released to the customers.

They never changed it in the factory packages, because factory packages where never intended to leave the factory.

It is only a production error that shipped them on some Kindles.

And of course, there are people here that keep a copy of anything that stands still long enough.
Oh ok thank you, that makes sense, so it's just Amazon's mistake (that I assume wouldn't be apparent to anyone who didn't get serial access!)

But the firmware package would be in the kindle system?
Surely it would be installed and the bin wouldn't be there anymore and we would have to re-create it, but then wouldn't that firmware package have to be signed?

So... that means Amazon left the update package .bin file in the system just lying around, that's quite funny!
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
So... that means Amazon left the update package .bin file in the system just lying around, that's quite funny!
Product development security has its own language for describing security breaches.
I think I can translate this one as: Oops.

Tags
boot, repair, x11