Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 03-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #46
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
I wanted to get into the Dragonlance books, but Paul Boehmer is an absolutely awful narrator.

People...describe his...narrating as. Shatner-esque.

https://www.audible.com/pd/B00ATEERJ2
Maybe he should narrate Star Trek.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #47
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I don't think I can finish Audio book of The Prime Minister's Secret Agent because of Susan Duerden's narration. She adopts some awful inappropriate intonation pattern on every single sentance, and sometimes every phrase. The book is set in WW2 England. Her reading sounds like a Brit trying to do Valley girl talk, badly. I will have to listen to something else for a bit to purge that sound out of my head and then pick up the ebook to finish.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #48
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I don't think I can finish Audio book of The Prime Minister's Secret Agent because of Susan Duerden's narration. She adopts some awful inappropriate intonation pattern on every single sentance, and sometimes every phrase. The book is set in WW2 England. Her reading sounds like a Brit trying to do Valley girl talk, badly. I will have to listen to something else for a bit to purge that sound out of my head and then pick up the ebook to finish.
Does she read all of books in the series. I was thinking of getting them for my wife, but I know she will hate that voice.
Apache
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #49
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Wow. I'm surprised. I've listened to her narration of other books in the Maggie Hope series, and certainly did not have a negative reaction, although I prefer Donada Peters, who narrated the first book.

Duerden didn't elicit any strong opinions from me; I neither look for her narrated books nor try to avoid them.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #50
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Does she read all of books in the series. I was thinking of getting them for my wife, but I know she will hate that voice.
Apache
She reads all but the first. Wanda McCaddon does a very nice reading of the first book. I read #2 and #3 in ebook format. As far as I can see, Susan Duerden does the rest of the series.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #51
Alohamora
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Wow. I'm surprised. I've listened to her narration of other books in the Maggie Hope series, and certainly did not have a negative reaction, although I prefer Donada Peters, who narrated the first book.

Duerden didn't elicit any strong opinions from me; I neither look for her narrated books nor try to avoid them.
At the start of the book, my reaction was mearly "oh, this reader isn't as nice as the first". By the end of 2 hours, it was really grating on my ears.

I wouldn't automatically avoid her in some other series, she has a good voice and I think she could read more conventionally if she wanted or was directed that way.

I read some Audible reviews before posting here to see if I was alone in my reaction. The reviews on the reading of book 2 were pretty bad, to the extent that many mentioned dropping the audio version in favor of print.

Less was mentioned in later reviews, but I figured those were by people who didn't mind the reading style of the first few and continued on.

I suppose it depends on what you're used to hearing. I notice that sing song lilt if anyone uses it around me. I listened to one of the HR people talk to our group for about 5 minutes yesterday and I couldn't focus on what she was saying because I kept noticing that intonation, even though she doesn't do it as strongly or frequently as the book.

Last edited by Alohamora; 03-17-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #52
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
At the start of the book, my reaction was mearly "oh, this reader isn't as nice as the first". By the end of 2 hours, it was really grating on my ears.

I wouldn't automatically avoid her in some other series, she has a good voice and I think she could read more conventionally if she wanted or was directed that way.

I read some Audible reviews before posting here to see if I was alone in my reaction. The reviews on the reading of book 2 were pretty bad, to the extent that many mentioned dropping the audio version in favor of print.

Less was mentioned in later reviews, but I figured those were by people who didn't mind the reading style of the first few and continued on.

I suppose it depends on what you're used to hearing. I notice that sing song lilt if anyone uses it around me. I listened to one of the HR people talk to our group for about 5 minutes yesterday and I couldn't focus on what she was saying because I kept noticing that intonation, even though she doesn't do it as strongly or frequently as the book.
We all have our own preferences, I suppose. I'm usually pretty forgiving of narrators unless they're guilty of too many gross mispronunciations, but some voices just grate on my nerves: Scott Brick, Tavia Gilbert, Xe Sands, to name a few. Most people seem to like them, but I find myself trying to avoid books they narrate.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #53
Apache
Readaholic

Thank you for all of the feedback. My wife has read all of them and is eagerly waiting for the next one in August. I think I will get one and two and see how she likes Susan Duerden's reading style.
Apache
Old 04-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #54
falconfan
falconfan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I loved the first Maggie Hope audio book and couldn't wait to listen to the next one. Within an hour of listening to Princess Elizabeth's Spy, narrated by Susan Duerden, I felt like I was on an endless roller coaster, with rising and falling intonation like waves on a beach. Every sentence ended exactly the same. When she was doing the men's voices, they were way too loud and abrasive, compared to her voice of female characters or just the narration part in between characters. I found myself cringing each time a male voice came on and if he spoke too long I had to turn it down. Her female voices are lovely, and do not have that up and down intonation. I'm disappointed to hear that she narrates the rest of the books, as I am not sure I can listen to her again. I might have to go back to the Maisie Dobbs series.....a similar type of series, with a wonderful narrator!
falconfan is offline   Reply With Quote