Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
growingcow
growingcow began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Got the Kindle Oasis

I own the kindle generation 3 (been 6 years) and decided that it was time to upgrade to something with a better screen and back lighting. Received the Kindle Oasis this morning and I've been playing around with it. Loaded some books and started reading. I must say it is pretty nice, it's so much lighter, more compact, and so much more pocket friendly. An hour into reading and I have to say that I find reading on the Oasis so much more enjoyable. While everything is great and wonderful with the device itself, there is a BUT...and that is the price. I mean it's not like it's going to hurt my bottom line or anything but the idea of it being $300 for a 6 inch E-reader makes me feel like i just got slapped and got pick pocketed by amazon.

I went to best buy and checked out the current paper white & Voyager both which are cheaper than the Oasis and I just don't know. Neither really appealed to me after using the Oasis.
growingcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yes, the price is a bit much. But if you enjoy your Oasis and could afford it, where's the harm? People spend heaps of money on all sorts of pretty useless things all the time.

I didn't exactly feel robbed after buying the Oasis (after all, it had been my own decision, nobody put a gun to my head), but I did feel somewhat foolish for spending such an amount for an e-reader. Now I've used the Oasis for the better part of a year and I have no regrets at all. It's really very lightweight and comfortable, and the screen is nice too.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
growingcow
growingcow began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, the price is a bit much. But if you enjoy your Oasis and could afford it, where's the harm? People spend heaps of money on all sorts of pretty useless things all the time.

I didn't exactly feel robbed after buying the Oasis (after all, it had been my own decision, nobody put a gun to my head), but I did feel somewhat foolish for spending such an amount for an e-reader. Now I've used the Oasis for the better part of a year and I have no regrets at all. It's really very lightweight and comfortable, and the screen is nice too.
Yeah 'foolish' seems like a better word than robbed. But you're right and the Oasis is a big jump from the kindle Gen 3.

Last edited by growingcow; 02-24-2017 at 04:55 PM.
growingcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I wasn't going to buy one. Whilst innovative in various ways I did not consider it to be a huge improvement over the Voyage or the Paperwhite. However, my poor Voyage suffered an unfortunate accident (my fault), and I replaced it with the Oasis. Yes, the price is high, like all luxury goods. But if you love reading and read a lot, then the difference in cost is miniscule over the life of the device (assuming, of course, that you look after it and avoid accidents).

Stop feeling guilty and enjoy. You were not ripped off. You chose to buy a premium product.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingcow View Post
I own the kindle generation 3 (been 6 years) and decided that it was time to upgrade to something with a better screen and back lighting. Received the Kindle Oasis this morning and I've been playing around with it. Loaded some books and started reading. .
I've got a K4nontouch whose buttons are starting to wear out. If you can think of it, would you mind giving another update of what you think of the Oasis after a month or so? I'm with you on the price, but as the others have said, if it's what you do, use the best tools :-) and since I read as my hobby, I'd like to know how the oasis works for you after some real time with it, good and bad.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I am glad we have great choices. I got a Voyage and didn't care for it. I disposed of it with a college student. I didn't get an Oasis. I saw nothing compelling and the price was too high for me. I thoroughly enjoy my Paperwhite.

Choice is wonderful.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
TimeEffect
Connoisseur
TimeEffect began at the beginning.

Device: Glo
I hate how Amazon put the much requested button feature behind the premium price. First they remove it, and then hide it behind $400+ CAD.

I also cant believe competitors like Kobo didn't add buttons either.
TimeEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:18 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeEffect View Post
I hate how Amazon put the much requested button feature behind the premium price. First they remove it, and then hide it behind $400+ CAD.

I also cant believe competitors like Kobo didn't add buttons either.

Perhaps you should contact them and let them know how you feel.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:19 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I am glad we have great choices. I got a Voyage and didn't care for it. I disposed of it with a college student. I didn't get an Oasis. I saw nothing compelling and the price was too high for me. I thoroughly enjoy my Paperwhite.

Choice is wonderful.

You disposed of the college student?!

Old 02-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You disposed of the college student?!
They didn't have perfectly even features and there was a clearly visible gradient. There was quite simply no choice.
NullNix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

LOL!
Old 02-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Those of us who bought the FIRST kindles usually find all of the current prices good. *IF* you want the bells and whistles of the version you choose, then it's worth the price. I think I waited a few months before buying the first kindle, and as I recall, it still cost $399.

Yes, I know, lots of other ereaders cost less these days -- but if I decide I want the features on the Oasis, I will get it. I'm still happy with my Voyage, but if it ever dies, I may try the Oasis.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #13
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Perhaps you should contact them and let them know how you feel.
You think they'll listen?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
You think they'll listen?
It's worth a try.

However, if you feel differently, he can continue to post here at Mobileread.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:58 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I don;t want buttons. They are too easy to accidentally press. Even easier to do so then a touch screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote