Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
-Badger2-
-Badger2- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Updating my Paperwhite (first gen) from 5.4.4.2 to 5.6.1.1 just reboots it without ac

It happens the same both over the normal wifi update and manually downloading and placing the 5.6.1.1 .bin in the root directory. I select "Update Your Kindle", choose "OK" at the verification prompt, and the Kindle just reboots. Upon checking the firmware version, it's still on 5.4.4.2.
Any suggestions?
-Badger2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The reboot *is* the normal procedure, except that after that, the early boot process should then catch the update and switch to the actual updater instead of rebooting normally...

Borked initrd? Borked userstore?

Ever had any weird filesystem issues on this device?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
-Badger2-
-Badger2- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
I haven't had any issues with it until now. It's a refurb, so I don't know what the last guy who owned it was doing with it.

I'm pretty new to this, so I wouldn't know how to check initrd or userstore integrity. userstore seems okay to me, at least superficially. I can still mount it and upload and read books.

The only issue is trying to update the device.

EDIT: Got it! Formatted the whole thing as FAT32 instead of FAT and the update actually worked.

Thanks for the help, NiLuJe.

Last edited by -Badger2-; 07-19-2015 at 10:32 AM.
-Badger2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I do hope you thought to jail break it before the update and "hotfix" it afterward.

- - - -

Yup - FAT (12 or 16) can not handle 1G and 2G user storage, it **must** be FAT32.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote