Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #16
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Oh, yeah, I only requested an invitation because I saw the discount. I can't see myself spending $200 on something like this.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Request an invitation

After the phone fiasco, looks like they're gonna see how many people are interested in these before they start making them in quantity.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's an update from Nate's blog:

Quote:
I just got email from Amazon pr which shared the bad news that the Echo won’t support streaming audiobooks, and it won’t be able to read Kindle ebooks aloud.

The Echo can stream the radio and stream music, so I suppose you could upload an MP3 audiobook and stream that, but it’s not going to ship with support for either Audible or Kindle.

And that’s a shame, because books would have been one of the reasons I would want to buy an Echo. I find the idea of having a book read to me while my hands are busy with house work appealing.
That's a shame and a big strike against this device.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
The thing -- the important thing -- is that Amazon is offering it to Prime members at a steep discount. First the stick, now this. Amazon Prime is starting to look like a shopping club...and, right now, I am feeling a little left out.
It *is* a shopping club.
Always has been.
(Just like Amazon coins is a green stamps program.)
The added perks of late are because it no longer is the only free shipping service in town. And with gas prices coming down they can afford a few limited time perks.
I Expect to see more of those limited deals for Prime subscribers; better for their bottom line than ongoing perks.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Here's an update from Nate's blog:

That's a shame and a big strike against this device.
Well, it is Bluetooth enabled so you can feed it the audible or TTS from a phone or tablet...
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
...Given my 1star Voyage review, they may pick only people who grade everything with 5 stars.
1 star?
Just out of curiosity: How much stars did you give respectively would you give your Kindle Paperwhites (I see in your profile information)?

If you'd rate Paperwhite higher than Voyage: How so? To me, Paperwhites 1 and 2 had been great, but Voyage is another minor step forward.

If you'd rate Paperwhite equally low (=the lowest rating you can give on Amazon): Why did you even try Voyage then?

Or maybe your Voyage simply had some defects?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Well, it is Bluetooth enabled so you can feed it the audible or TTS from a phone or tablet...
Defeats the purpose of using it as a stand alone device. If I have to jump through those hoops, then it's far cheaper to use a phone or tablet hooked up to a speaker.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Defeats the purpose of using it as a stand alone device. If I have to jump through those hoops, then it's far cheaper to use a phone or tablet hooked up to a speaker.
There may not be much in the way of added hoops: remember, you still need a phone or tablet to run the proprietary app. That or a device with a browser.

At heart the thing is still primarily a wireless speaker. Without a screen it's going to be tricky dealing with libraries...

What you want might be more easily done with the FireTV Stick.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #24
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I think what the monkey means is, it would be nice to do it hands free just like you can do with Iheart radio for example, and amazon music. You just say play such and such and it starts. It would have been nice if audible/kindle books would have been incorporated like that. I guess there are too much technical road blocks.

As to the stick, it would be nice if they'd add audible to roku or even the fire stick. I assume its not on there.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There may not be much in the way of added hoops: remember, you still need a phone or tablet to run the proprietary app. That or a device with a browser.

At heart the thing is still primarily a wireless speaker. Without a screen it's going to be tricky dealing with libraries...

What you want might be more easily done with the FireTV Stick.
If I got one, it would network with my always on (while I'm at home) computer; which would be in one room and the Echo is other rooms.

What I'm objecting to is the requirement to need a bluetooth enabled mobile device in order to stream certain content. That part is not acceptable to me. Once it's setup, I only want voice command operation. I don't want to have to drag out another device and start a screen dance in order to stream more content.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I think what the monkey means is, it would be nice to do it hands free just like you can do with Iheart radio for example, and amazon music. You just say play such and such and it starts. It would have been nice if audible/kindle books would have been incorporated like that. I guess there are too much technical road blocks.

As to the stick, it would be nice if they'd add audible to roku or even the fire stick. I assume its not on there.
Yep, that's it. My Fire HD 7-1 gets more audio time than video. Would love to be able to stream my favorite audio content hands-free.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #27
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Agreed on the audible/TTS front. I was really hoping I could tell "Zelda" to continue reading book x or book y while choppong veggies and not having a dry hand available.

Hmm, missed opportunity, and makes this device decidedly less interesting.

@Mgmueller: View Kindle Voyage - First Impressions thread.

Last edited by xendula; 11-06-2014 at 08:49 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #28
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
It's always possible that they will update its to include Audible etc. if there is a demand for it.

I requested an invite just because it is a new shiny thing.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #29
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Nice video
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #30
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
baffling. First step toward some bigger plan or self-contained boondoggle? Or am I just completely out of step and this thing could conceivably sell?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote