Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2018, 01:43 AM   #2281
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Latest books listened to:

Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott, narrated by Chloe Cannon
A winner from a favorite author. Here, two women scientists who were friends/competitors in high school until a secret blew them apart are reunited as competitors in a research lab.
Put on my short list, thanks for posting
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #2282
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I recently listened to A Fine Day for a Hanging: The Real Ruth Ellis Story by Carol Ann Lee, the story of the last woman to be hanged in Britain (in 1955).

This was a little too much true crime for my tastes; I was interested more in the class and gender issues. Still a good listen for all that; I thought the narrator, Maggie Ollerenshaw, was fine. Mentioning it here for the true crime aficionados.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #2283
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I recently listened to A Fine Day for a Hanging: The Real Ruth Ellis Story by Carol Ann Lee, the story of the last woman to be hanged in Britain (in 1955).

This was a little too much true crime for my tastes; I was interested more in the class and gender issues. Still a good listen for all that; I thought the narrator, Maggie Ollerenshaw, was fine. Mentioning it here for the true crime aficionados.
Sounds good--I've added it to my Audible wish list. I recently caught an interesting movie on TCM called Yield to the Night, starring Diana Dors, that was supposedly loosely based on the Ruth Ellis case.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #2284
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've been doing a bit of binge listening to the David Drake RCN series. They're fun books, and perfect for a summer read. I like them to listen to while I swim, and they've done a good job of getting me back into a regular habit. But my next couple of listens are likely to be books prompted by next month's New Leaf Book Club theme -- The Shortest, Gladdest Years of Life -- School. I've had a lot of fun already discovering books for that theme!
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #2285
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've been doing a bit of binge listening to the David Drake RCN series. They're fun books, and perfect for a summer read. I like them to listen to while I swim, and they've done a good job of getting me back into a regular habit. But my next couple of listens are likely to be books prompted by next month's New Leaf Book Club theme -- The Shortest, Gladdest Years of Life -- School. I've had a lot of fun already discovering books for that theme!
Well, but first I'm reading To Die But Once -- the 14th Maise Dobbs book from Jacqueline Winsepar, read by Orlagh Cassidy, whose voice for these is somehow perfect. I can't imagine it would work for too many other series, but for this one it's just right.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:12 AM   #2286
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
A. A. Milne - Winnie-the-Pooh.

A short classic which most should have heard of. Liking it so far, although it is hard not to be influenced by the differences between this and Disneys take on it, which I grew up with and still adore very much. The audiobook version has a MUCH deeper voice for Poo, which took a bit of time to adjust to!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:32 AM   #2287
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just finished 4th book in the Sanham Murders series by Swedish writer Viveca Sten. Excellent series featured in the Swedish archipelago. Two more translated books are expected in the next year. Hope there are more audiobooks. The audios are included in the Kindle Unlimited program.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #2288
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
A. A. Milne - Winnie-the-Pooh.

A short classic which most should have heard of. Liking it so far, although it is hard not to be influenced by the differences between this and Disneys take on it, which I grew up with and still adore very much. The audiobook version has a MUCH deeper voice for Poo, which took a bit of time to adjust to!
The Disney adaptations are wonderful, but I always go back to the books. These are two of my favorite books -- Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner -- along with the two poetry books, When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six. I love Eeyore so much in the books (and not as much in the videos.) My favorite story is the one where Pooh and Piglet build Eeyore a house, but I don't recall which book that one is in.

I didn't know they were available in audio format, but think I would have a hard time listening to them. When I was young, I had a record (an LP! Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too) with the stories where Rabbit tries to unbounce Tigger and where Tigger and Roo get stuck in a tree. I listened to that record quite a lot back then and it would be strange to listen to 100 Acre Wood stories with a different narrator.

(Sorry to ramble on; this is one of the few books that I get super excited over and I can't help myself. )

I took a break from audiobooks to catch up on the third season of Outlander (alongside a fan podcast that discusses each episode); now that I'm caught up there, I have started Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders series with Ship of Magic. I have seen mixed reviews about it, but I am interested to see where it goes.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #2289
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Currently about halfway through the Hitchhiker's Guide series, meaning I'm about halfway through Life, the Universe, and Everything (book 3). Stephen Fry narrated the first book in my library's Overdrive collection, and Martin Freeman is the narrator for the remaining four (I refuse to consider the ersatz sixth book by another author as part of the series). While I preferred Stephen Fry's narration, Martin Freeman's performance is quite enjoyable except, unfortunately, for the cartoonish American accent he uses for Zaphod, which grates.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:35 AM   #2290
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
The Disney adaptations are wonderful, but I always go back to the books. These are two of my favorite books -- Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner -- along with the two poetry books, When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six. I love Eeyore so much in the books (and not as much in the videos.)
I will pick them up, thanks! Eeyore has also always been my favorite, but again, that's based on Disney's take.

My daughter is almost 3 now, but so far Winnie the Poo hasn't been something she found interesting.. Despite her dads attempts at indoctrination..
Old 08-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #2291
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I listened to Only Child by Rhiannon Navin, narrated by Kivlighan de Montebello. This is a heartbreaking story told from the POV of a six-year-old survivor of a school shooting; the actor performing the audiobook is clearly quite young, and he is outstanding. I highly recommend this book.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #2292
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished up the second of Arrows trilogy. Like a lot of trilogies, book 2 had some rough spots. When I read, I tend to just kind of skim the rough spots, but it's hard to do with an audiobook. Still the performance was good and the book was mostly good.

Next up, Monster Hunter's Memoir's: Saints, the last of John Ringo's series set in Larry Correa's Monster Hunter Universe, then on to Hero in the Shadow, the 3rd of David Gemmell's Drenai series.

Only 45 books in my car audiobook playlist, some 26 days and nights worth of audiobooks. Unless I start going on a lot of road trips again, it's going to take a while to work my way through all that.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:50 AM   #2293
David Munch
Scholar

Finished Robert A. Heinleins - Between Planets, and gave it a 4/5. I seem to quite like Heinleins books, so good thing I have more of them ready for listening.

He has a way of writing scifi where it is a 'down to earth' story, so to say, but still very interesting. He's very good at writing characters, and good at staying away from making them unbeliveable, which really helps. He also has a knack for flowing easily, without relying on the god in the machine to the push plot forward.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:07 AM   #2294
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Finished Robert A. Heinleins - Between Planets, and gave it a 4/5. I seem to quite like Heinleins books, so good thing I have more of them ready for listening.

He has a way of writing scifi where it is a 'down to earth' story, so to say, but still very interesting. He's very good at writing characters, and good at staying away from making them unbeliveable, which really helps. He also has a knack for flowing easily, without relying on the god in the machine to the push plot forward.
Yes, I've got 5 Heinlein audio books - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Methuselah's Children, Glory Road, Farmer in the Sky and Starship Trooper. IMPO, all his early works are very, very good. The big issue that I've found is that the quality of narrator can vary quite a bit ranging from very good (Bronson Pichot did Glory Road and Nick Podehl did Farmer in the Sky) to average. What did you think of the narrator for Between Planets?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #2295
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I listened to I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti, translated by Jonathan Hunt and read by Dennis Olsen. It's outstanding: suspenseful, heartbreaking, and poignant.

When I was looking for a summer-themed book for the New Leaf Book Club, I came across this title, but availability issues put it out of the running. Then I noticed it in Audiobookstand's going-out-of-business sale and I picked it up on a whim, and I'm so glad I did. Set in a small village in Italy in 1978, it's about a nine-year-old boy who makes a startling discovery one hot summer day.

I highly recommend this book.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations