Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Question Conversion Newb: Tips for Docx to Mobin conversion?

While I have a dozen books in some state of work done, I finally managed to finish one, a short book on my experiences in a common medical situation. My writing platform kicked the file out to a DOCX file and I found that I had to do some after-the-fact editing since the export seemed to eliminate all Ctrl-Enter page breaks. I cleaned them up and then dragged the DOCX file into Calibre and went for the conversion. (I am using the most current version). The result was not pleasing in the viewer built into Calibre. I had done the whole thing in a single font (Tahoma) knowing that the Kindle would convert to whatever it wanted anyway. But my sizing was off. Some text was unmanageably big. The italics was almost indistinguishable. I knew enough to skip the bold attribute. And I didn't use much, if any, under-lining. The few small graphics were big enough to appear drawn in Windows Paint circa 1995. It just was an epic fail.

I THEN went back to the DOCX and exported that to HTML. The Calibre process was better with the HTML code, but still off in a few places. One was a left-hand margin that was indented. The second was a white-washed background to some of the text that I copied in from the Canadian ISBN site, despite my using Clipboard Stripper to remove those sort of artifacts. (it was text, not a graphic).

So, I come here and humbly ask for your best tips on moving from DOCX source or HTML source into Mobi format. Thanks in advance. GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to azw3 rather than MOBI you will get much better results.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote