Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Gwen2479
Gwen2479 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Trouble with swipe page turning

Hello, I am a recent happy owner of a Nook. I love it so far. Once it was charged it was ready to go right out of the box! Registering was easy and I was able to download my ebooks right away. I even found a case I love - the Chesterton quote cover in coffee.
Here is my 1 issue: when the LCD goes dark and I swipe my finger across it to turn a page, it wont turn. Now this happened in the store too, a sales rep was showing me their Nook and would swipe the LCD and his page would turn, I would try right after him on the same device and nothing would happen - even after multiple swipes, and then it would turn 1 page and then I couldn't get it to turn again. I thought it was because that device was accustomed to another user?
Well it was not enough to deter me from accepting my Nook from my BFF as a gift, but as I am reading, the swipe on my new device doesn't seem to work for me either. Am I doing something wrong? I have tried to swipe with index finger top, center and bottom, and with thumb covering whole screen. Is the screen just not very sensitive? I have tried swiping with more pressure. Is there a way to calibrate it so it is more sensitive? Or does the Nook not like my touch?
The button page turns work fine, but I would really like the swipe page turns to work too. Anyone else have same problem? Were you able to fix it?
Thanks.
Gwen2479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Guessing that since both the store's nook and the one you bought aren't responding, it's just something in your technique that isn't working. Someone posted a Youtube video about swiping, I'll post a link here:

Finger Swipe

I think it's like riding a bike, it's hard to do until you learn, but once you do you do it without thinking about it. Good luck!

ETA: The video shoes 'thumb' swiping but any finger should do.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
The touchscreen reacts to your skin, not pressure.
Just a light touch is enough.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Gwen2479
Gwen2479 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Finally got it!

Thanks to wandalynn! That youtube video was really helpful. I turned on my Nook and tried it while watching the video and it worked like a charm!
Why didn't the B&N guy just explain it that way!? He would swipe and it would work and I would imitate and nothing.
That video cleared it up. Now I have another reason to love my Nook!
Thank you to geertm as well. You are right, I only need a light touch.
Gwen2479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Hi Gwen, glad you got it going. Yeah it does take a little practice but once you get it down it's like pie

Have you seen this thread? Tell us your method

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84255
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert