Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #31
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
It's not like music where you could make a legitimate argument that most mainstream material is crap.
It's not?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #32
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Until I reach a point where I'm no longer able to find mainstream books I'm interested in, it's unlikely I'll put much effort into sifting through the self-promotion for self-published gems.

It's not like music where you could make a legitimate argument that most mainstream material is crap.
I'm not sure I agree with the last statement. I think, just like music, much of mainstream publishing _is_ crap. It feels like the "safest" (most likely to sell) material they can dig up.

In some cases, I'm quite happy with it, usually because I'm already invested in a series. Even with those old familiar series, I find the quality sliding downhill with each book. In general, I'm usually on the hunt for something new.

I think ebooks make it much easier to motivate oneself to look for new/independent authors. Being able to browse online at places like Smashwords feels like the electronic equivalent of poking through the back stacks of a library or bookstore for "hidden gems".
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #33
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
It's not?
Nope.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #34
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I think it is a fact that the quantity of literary garbage out there is going to increase exponentially with the advent of self-publishing. It is remarkable the amount of people that think writing is just putting two paragraphs together, and also remarkable the amount of people that think what they have to say is relevant or original. This unfortunately hurts those writers (self-published or not) that really do contribute to the literary pool quality. Sometimes the noise is so ubiquitous that you can't hear anything clearly...

I believe that the task of honest, knowledgeable and competent reviewers, bloggers and critics will be of utmost importance in filtering at least some of the noise. That and the prizes, contests, etc. will provide some references in the jungle of published books.

I try also every now and then to discover some hidden gem, but i have to admit my reading time is scarce therefore precious so i have some reluctance in spending too much time reading something i might find pure and utter rubbish.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
promotion, publishers, self-publishing