Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Question Book Light that won't glare

Hi Everyone,
I will have a Sony PRS-600 before the year is over (YA!!!) and want to make sure I have a book light that will work with it. I live in Canada and if I buy the Sony cover that comes with the light it's about $80!! That's twice as much as just buying the case. Is the light on it WORTH that?! If I just buy a Sony case for it (I have 4 small children, it needs a case), will a normal book light work with it?
Thank you for your time!
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
Raúl
Raúl began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS600
Hi CarolB,

a normal book light will do indeed. The only advantage of the light in the book case is that it folds neatly and it is practical to have around, but before I bought the case I used the book light I've had for years and it worked all right.
Raúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I bought the lighted book cover from Sony for my PRS-600 reader. In my opinion, the case is NOT worth the money - not even if you can get it on discount. I love the convenience of having my light always with me, because I always use my light. However, the Sony lighted case, even on the high setting, didn't produce enough light to see. I always found myself wishing my old Sony lightwedge case for the 505 would work with the 600, but it wouldn't.

However, I have found something that I LOVE and that works wonderfully. Check out M-Edge cases and their e-Luminator lights for the Sony PRS-600.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Thanks for letting me know. I had been considering buying the one with the light, I'll just go for the regular cover for now and use the book light I already have. Does the e-Luminator only work on MEdge covers?
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Just to make the observation: unlike many readers out there, the sony touch casing is metal, not plastic. It is very sturdy and, as can be expected from sony, excelently build. You would have to look out for crayons on the screen perhaps, but otherwise I trust it to keep quite well even in the hands of those little destroyers.

For simple storage Sony also includes a foam case - while not elegant or even stury, it does ensure the reader can survive a drop with no problem, say for example from a tabletop.

If you are not nightblind the light of the Sony Cover with Light should be more than enough to read by - I always use it at the lowest setting with no trouble whatsoever (though at the end of a battery's life its brightness does diminish somewhat - I have been using mine on the original battery for a month now and it is getting somewhat less bright). While definately not worth the extra money that ridiculously expensive case costs, it is by far the best option I have seen so far if you want a no-nonsense, sturdy leather case with inbuild light.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I had been considering buying the one with the light, I'll just go for the regular cover for now and use the book light I already have. Does the e-Luminator only work on MEdge covers?
Yes, the M-Edge cases have a pocket sewn in that is designed to hold the light in place, and they have extra space beside the reader to store the light when it's not in use.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Elton Noway
Elton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
Hi Everyone,
I will have a Sony PRS-600 before the year is over (YA!!!) and want to make sure I have a book light that will work with it. I live in Canada and if I buy the Sony cover that comes with the light it's about $80!! That's twice as much as just buying the case. Is the light on it WORTH that?! If I just buy a Sony case for it (I have 4 small children, it needs a case), will a normal book light work with it?
Yep... I struggled with the cost of the Sony lighted case. Then a fellow member recommended one of these. They are light in weight, thin, nice an bright and very inexpensive at only $3.91 (and that includes the shipping).
They slip over the back cover flap of the standard book cover. Then you simply bend them as needed to get the light you need and eliminate glare.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26822

They ship from Hong Kong so I was worried I might never see them, but... I ordered two of them and they arrived 13 days after I placed the order.

Also available in blue:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26821

I got one of the genuine Sony "standard" covers with no light, (PRSA-SC6) off eBay for only $9 delivered! There are always several on eBay in this price range. So... in the end... I have lighted book cover for only $13!

Last edited by Elton Noway; 06-18-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Elton Noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:17 AM   #8
rudyt
Sony Reader
rudyt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300 and PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Yep... I struggled with the cost of the Sony lighted case. Then a fellow member recommended one of these. They are light in weight, thin, nice an bright and very inexpensive at only $3.91 (and that includes the shipping).
They slip over the back cover flap of the standard book cover. Then you simply bend them as needed to get the light you need and eliminate glare.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26822
I second the recommendation - it's a great light at a price that can't be beat. If you take out one of the batteries, it's still plenty bright, the LED will last longer, and your batteries will go farther. Just bend the tang slightly so that you still get some spring tension now that you've removed a battery.

BTW, no need to be wary of DX; I've placed many orders with them and all arrived within 1-3 weeks.

/rudy
rudyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Have you seen the Sony PRS-600 in person? Any reading light will cause a glare unless you position it properly. The screen is shinier than the PRS-300 or the Nook (the only other two ebook readers I've seen in person). It's not a big deal and it's easily readable but a light shining right on it WILL cause a glare.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
This is the light I use with my 505:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GS6LDA

It's big -- it's basically a laptop keyboard light with an AA battery pack (and you can also hook it into any USB port) -- but it is an awesome light. Thanks to its five spread-out LEDs, I've had zero glare, although admittedly this is on a 505, which doesn't have the 600's glare problems. I'm planning to build a little clip for it that will slip into my M-Edge Executive cover's booklight slot, so that I can hook the light onto the book cover and have its battery pack, which does have some weight to it, at the other end of a USB cable. It also serves as a light for my netbook and I'm thinking it may make a good car map light, too.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Anybody found a good light for the PRS-600 ?
I am not sure the one adviced by PRS-300's or PRS-505's owners are the right choice.
I switched from a PRS-505 to a PRS-600 and the lights I was using with the former are causing too much glare on the second.
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
whizkey
whizkey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I use the Belkin light with the Sony PRS505 and PRS600.
http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/05/06/...from-19-99-up/
You are right the PRS600 has more glare but you can avoid the glare by bending the light into a correct position.
whizkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Hey, just wanted to say thanks, elton, for your recommendation on dealextreme. I've ordered a couple ultrafire Cree 5 LED flashlights through them before with great results, I simply didn't think to look for reading lamps there.

I'm in trouble now, though, because I'm about to buy a 180 watt bedside reading light there as well as a clip-on light
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote