Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #856
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Well, doesn't work properly here on iPad 3, iOS 5. Take the book provided by default, Treasure Island. Override the publisher formatting, then try selecting some specific words and sentences. It's a nightmare: slow, jerky, clunky.

For example, tap and hold a word that begins direct speech, with the quotation mark (") in front of it. Now try to move the left selection marker so that the selection will include the opening quotation mark. It can't be done here at all. The left selection marker fails to react to my finger movement... but then it suddenly does, jerking over several letters to the left, so that it ends up selecting more than I had intended to select, and I need to start selecting all over again.

It's always been like this for me in Bluefire Reader, which is why I've been unable to use it as my e-book reader.

Last edited by Faterson; 01-12-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #857
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Well, doesn't work properly here on iPad 3, iOS 5. Take the book provided by default, Treasure Island. Override the publisher formatting, then try selecting some specific words and sentences. It's a nightmare: slow, jerky, clunky.

For example, tap and hold a word that begins direct speech, with the quotation mark (") in front of it. Now try to move the left selection marker so that the selection will include the opening quotation mark. It can't be done here at all. The left selection marker fails to react to my finger movement... but then it suddenly does, jerking over several letters to the left, so that it ends up selecting more than I had intended to select, and I need to start selecting all over again.

It's always been like this for me in Bluefire Reader, which is why I've been unable to use it as my e-book reader.
I can test Bluefire on an iPad 3 with iOS 6 on it. No access to an iPad 3 with iOS 5.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #858
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do test it. I believe it's unlikely that iOS 5 versus iOS 6 will make a difference in this regard, and in any case, a good e-reader app should fully support both iOS 5 and iOS 6 in 2013. There are still lots of iPads 1 around (I also have one), and these cannot be upgraded beyond iOS 5.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #859
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Bluefire highlighting works perfectly and easily on my lowly 16gb iPad 1 with 5.1.1. Selecting a quote mark works as flawlessly as selecting any other character.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #860
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Question

Well, just does not work here. Neither on iPad 1, nor on iPad 3, both runnng iOS 5.1.1. I even uninstalled Bluefire Reader, installed a fresh copy, did not touch any of the settings, and opened Treasure Island. Same issue. Even simply tapping a word brings no immediate response -- after a couple of seconds, there is a "jerk", and the word becomes highlighted. However, moving the selection marker anywhere just cannot be done; if I try that, the previously highlighted word is gone. These are not jailbroken iPads, and Bluefire Reader has always behaved like this on them...
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #861
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

PS: Seems to be less troublesome when using the default Bluefire installation and settings, but seems flat-out impossible after I activate the "override publisher formatting" switch.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #862
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
PS: Seems to be less troublesome when using the default Bluefire installation and settings, but seems flat-out impossible after I activate the "override publisher formatting" switch.
I'll check the settings and see if they are set for override. I did not check the last test.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #863
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Faterson... selection/highlighting work great in both settings here..... My normal setting is "override" and I've just not had any issues at all...... Just tried both again on commercial books, free google "scan" books, and some books I've done and all worked fine. All came from Calibre "save ePub to disk" funtion....
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #864
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Well, what can I say. I've just tried it again. Selecting text in the standard fashion is impossible here on iPad 3, both with original formatting and publisher override, in the default Treasure Island book provided with Bluefire.

I can make a YouTube video of this issue in case Micah would like to see it.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #865
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Micah, don't worry about my request for OPDS support. It is clear to me now that the reason you will not provide support for it is because of some other commercial or strategic reason, valuable only to the Bluefire makers.

At this point, the only value Bluefire has for me is the DRM support, which is to say it has no value whatsoever, since I refuse to buy books that I can't strip DRM from.

Marvin is now a serious contender in version 1.2, with near perfect rendering and all the little things that make a reader a joy for actual book readers, unlike Bluefire, that I understand now is really for book sellers, with only incidental thought of actual readers.

Your lack of responsiveness is astounding, considering that you are in the customer service field, yes?

Anyway, I am done with Bluefire, best luck with your future endeavors.

Cheers

Art

Last edited by artbatista; 02-03-2013 at 10:02 PM.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #866
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Hello Micah, so have you decided at last not to provide OPDS catalog support?

I would appreciate if you could make a definite yes/no statement so I can decide wether to stick with Bluefire or move on to Marvin.

Art
Implementing a native code OPDS catalog support feature is on my wish list for 2013, but is a bit low on the list, and there's some big ones before it like full EPUB3 support. So I can't really give you a definitive answer, as we are constantly adjusting where we spend our limited resources to stay in business.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #867
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm still on iOS 5 on this iPad 3, but text selection is still a huge struggle. It has put me off using Bluefire Reader in the past, and today's update has not improved the issue. Selecting text is slow and jerky, and after I let go of the screen, the selection marker is typically in some other place than I wanted it to be and than what was indicated by the zoom view.
Text selection in iOS is a lot better than on Android. It is a tricky thing to implement as the rendering engine we use (RMSDK) generates images of pages, rather than "live" text. So when selecting text, we are actually calculating what words are under your finger, and then updating the bitmap of the page to show a highlight. We will be making it better on Android this Spring. Curious which device you were talking about?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #868
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Well, what can I say. I've just tried it again. Selecting text in the standard fashion is impossible here on iPad 3, both with original formatting and publisher override, in the default Treasure Island book provided with Bluefire.

I can make a YouTube video of this issue in case Micah would like to see it.
PDF can be very problematic for text selection. Really depends on how the PDF was contructed (varies *hugely*) Sometimes what looks like text is not actualy text, other times there are no "space" characters between words. Also, RMSDK (our rending engine) only supports the PDF/A spec - other PDF's will often/usually at least render most text, but selection can be problematic in that case too. Are you experiencing this with EPUB or PDF?

Text selection in our app is acheived in a very different way (custom code) than in most iOS apps that leverage Apple iOS API's. This relates to our ability to support DRM (decryption). Some folks find it easy, others find it annoying - in particular due to the differences in the way it works from other apps. Worse on Android at the moment, which is high on our list to improve.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #869
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
ePub3? You mean because of the thousands of ebooks using it? Yes, you should probably really adjust your resources...

Like MegaReader (other competitors created mostly by a single developer, not a company, being left out here), you're losing ground with readers, Micah. This may be acceptable for you because your primary business model seems to consist of selling re-branded Blurefire readers and (re-)selling Adobe SDK licences but you should be well aware that people *do* complain to the companies you've licenced Bluefire to, e. g. libri.de. Of course, for some time, those companies will ignore those complaints but if they actually start losing business due to it, they'll re-evaluate their choices.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #870
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Micah, don't worry about my request for OPDS support. It is clear to me now that the reason you will not provide support for it is because of some other commercial or strategic reason, valuable only to the Bluefire makers.

At this point, the only value Bluefire has for me is the DRM support, which is to say it has no value whatsoever, since I refuse to buy books that I can't strip DRM from.

Marvin is now a serious contender in version 1.2, with near perfect rendering and all the little things that make a reader a joy for actual book readers, unlike Bluefire, that I understand now is really for book sellers, with only incidental thought of actual readers.

Your lack of responsiveness is astounding, considering that you are in the customer service field, yes?

Anyway, I am done with Bluefire, best luck with your future endeavors.

Cheers

Art
I'm sorry that I was unresponsive. Bluefire is a small bootstrap startup, and we are working our asses off to just keep it going, and to continually improve the product. Many days I work really long hours, and most weekends too. It is a just real challlenge to keep up, and in this case I fell down. My apologies. It is true that we need to make a living, and so our focus certainly does mainly go to booksellers and publishers who pay us money. I do actually care a lot about the users of the free Bluefire Reader app and the experience they have reading. We've done lots of features that our paying customers don't really care about, but users of Bluefire have asked for. Examples are Collections, Swipe up/down for brightness, side-loading, library lending support, more font choices, and others. I understand that for you this was not enough.

I completely respect your choice to use a different free app that suits you better, and I'm glad that there are other good options out there. Whatever keeps people reading!

I really do believe that reading is the key to critical thinking, and we need more of that with our current ecological and political challenges. That's what really drew me to working in ebooks. .
Happy Reading.