Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Beware of Fictionwise

I have bought a couple of books from Fictionwise and never encountered any problems. However, you should take a look at this post from a guy who has been a Fictionwise club member for many years. His recently purchased e-book was virtually unreadable and the customer service from Fictionwise didn't handle this situation very well:

Here's part of Fictionwise's response to my request for a replacement: "I have confirmed the problem with this eBook. I have sent an urgent note to the supplier requesting that this be fixed. I will let you know when they respond." Can you imagine this response from any bookseller in the world? If the print was smeared or garbled on a paper edition, would the bookstore owner ask me to be patient while they sent the book back to the publisher and hoped that a new copy would arrive sometime soon? Wouldn't they just hand me a new copy and an apology?

Like I said Fictionwise was always OK for me, but this makes me reconsider where to buy e-books next.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
mrtim
mrtim began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Huh. Sounds to me like the copy of the book that Fictionwise has is corrupt, otherwise how would they "confirm" the problem? If that's the case they can't just hand out another copy; it would be just as bad.

It's not like *a* paper copy was smeared, it's more like *every copy they have* is smeared.
mrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
Snorbaard
Snorbaard began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Not nice. It's not Fictionwises fault.

I'm quite confused at the reaction.

What was Fictionwise supposed to do, other than the response given? Perhaps a refund?

This *does* happen! Bits get corrupted! Shock! Horror!

It doesn't have anything to do with DRM. If a non-DRM MS Reader or Palm Reader document have corrupt bits in the wrong places, you'd get the same kind of error.

With e-books, the advantage of electronic delivery (very, very low distribution cost) also opens you up for this kind of problem. Its akin to having 250,000 copies of Johnathan Kellerman's book being printed with the ink rubbing off the pages. Only, in this case, it's easier and cheaper to fix.

The "Beware of Fictionwise" heading on the original blog is a red herring from a disgruntled customer. Repeating it here makes it seem more credible, which is wrong - Fictionwise definitely isn't in the wrong here.

Personally, I have bought quite a few books there and find their model very palatable (as much as is possible for the DRM side), and make a lot of use of their rebates.
Snorbaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
filip
Addict
filip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheese

Device: n810 -- PRS600
As far as I know the fictionwise team hasn't the mean to open drm locked ebooks.

One time I asked them why they didn't put the number of lines on the drm ebooks, they responded me that they can't on them as they can't open them.
filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
I can confirm it's corrupt but I'm not reacting in the level as that blogger did. So I got a corrupt ebook that I'm sure will be replaced soon. (It's also strange why, after being a member for many years, that blogger was irked by *just one* incident?)

I don't see a problem in Fictionwise's response to the complaint. Actually, I found it to be a proper response. In the meantime, I'll just go on and read my other ebooks.

I'll still continue to buy from Fictionwise.

joel from 1src
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #6
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
I have over 230 books in my Fictionwise bookshelf and I've never gotten a corrupt one. I think this is a pretty good record and to badmouth them for one problem seems a bit excessive to me.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Just an update... Fictionwise was unable to get a working copy of this ebook. They kept on updating me regarding the "repair" of this corrupted copy. Apparently the publishers are not as responsive as expected.

Anyway, Lynn from Fictionwise offered me a refund which I chose to be credited to my micropay account.
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:06 AM   #8
PostGrant
Enthusiast
PostGrant began at the beginning.

Device: eBookWise, Dell Axim X5
Bad stuff happens. Whatever. The person he talked to clearly didn't provide good customer service, but ... well, in that case it lies with the customer to demand service. Caveat emptor - care about your dime, demand what you paid for. That's it - if you just take everything people give you, you need to be prepared for a long, unfulfilling life.
PostGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The original author posted an update:
http://pdafiction.blogspot.com/2006_...65972404118135

Quote:
Now, to be fair, I am willing to believe the hold up was all from OverDrive rather than Fictionwise. But if this is what happens when a book has a problem - who wants to pay for encrypted ebooks? They already suffer from stupid DRM related problems that paper books do not. They have no resale value. They cannot be lent to friends and family. And, apparently, when the distributor screws up a transaction, they cannot be replaced.

Can you image going into a bookstore with a book whose pages were bound upside down or out of order, and having the bookstore tell you to come back in a month or two and they might replace it?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote