Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #76
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Yes we have...even hyperlinked your post...
Just...sayin'. ;-) Sometimes the digressions and travels far afield make my poor brain hurt.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:11 AM   #77
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Did you just asterisk the word Heck???? Really?
Yes, as a statement of how si**y I think this custom of asterisking words is. So we're not allowed to write a word in full but we can give enough hints to figure it out, at the same time making it clear that we know we should not write it so we know we're doing wrong...? Are we 7 years old or what[1]?

[1] With this I don't mean that 7-yos should not see the words, which seems to be the reason behind, but that this kind of "cheating" is a 7-yo attitude.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #78
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Maybe, instead of asterisks, we can just re-arrange the letters in the words??

"It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae"

edit: corrected spelling...

Last edited by Turtle91; 01-27-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:00 AM   #79
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You have a typo: iprmoetnt -> iprmoatnt
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #80
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, as a statement of how si**y I think this custom of asterisking words is. So we're not allowed to write a word in full but we can give enough hints to figure it out, at the same time making it clear that we know we should not write it so we know we're doing wrong...? Are we 7 years old or what[1]?

[1] With this I don't mean that 7-yos should not see the words, which seems to be the reason behind, but that this kind of "cheating" is a 7-yo attitude.
(warning! rantiness by yours truly forthcoming

I don't disagree at all and in fact, go further. (I'd also highly recommend George Carlin's infamous hilarious diatribe on "dirty words." In which he points out that it's okay for your eyes to see and your brain to process and think, "bad" words, but God forbid that you HEAR them!)

I mean, you can say 'poop' in front of church ladies, but god forbid you say s**t. Why? You can scream "intercourse you!" all you want and even to some extent, "screw you!," but the other? Eff you? Oh, nooooo, that's "bad."

It's the infantilization of the language and the people hearing it. For example--none of them are actually profanity. Profanity actually meant "not sacred," around religious beliefs. If you can say poop without offending G-d, not sure why on earth his/her ears can't hear "s**t," either. There's nothing about excrement that desecrates people's EARS. The same with all the other contemporary "profanities." All of them mean something that you're perfectly free to say another way. Where's the goddamned logic in that?

Or b*gger. In the US, we say "oh, s/he's a cute little b*gger," all the time. But in several sub-forums here, on MR, you'll be moderated and WARNED, mind you, for saying it because somebody, somewhere, objected to it as "profanity." (Presumably due to the Brit usage.) So, if you talk about cute little b*ggers, well, hell, that's okay and everybody's ears are okay, but if you say "b*gger it," OMG, quick, censor her!

It's ridiculously childish curtailment of freedom of speech (in the USA, where that actually exists, at least). A faux outrage, over terms which have meanings that are said every. single. day., but because you use word A instead of word B, people behave outraged. It's a form of control.

/rant

Hitch
Advert
Old 01-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #81
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually quite agree on the concept/rant of the silliness....but I somehow still don't say "Shut the h*ll up you f**ing little b*gger!" to my little grand daughters...and I would be very cross if someone else did it anyway.

If I think it's important to protect the innocence of a 2 year old, then I would like to think it's important to protect my innocence ( to the max extent most situationally dependent and reasonable amount possible ) as well...

There is definitely something (good) to be said about "polite company", regardless of the silliness.

Last edited by Turtle91; 01-27-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #82
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I actually quite agree on the concept/rant of the silliness....but I somehow still don't say "Shut the h*ll up you f**ing little b*gger!" to my little grand daughters...and I would be very cross if someone else did it anyway.

If I think it's important to protect the innocence of a 2 year old, then I would like to think it's important to protect my innocence ( to the max extent possible ) as well...

There is definitely something (good) to be said about "polite company", regardless of the silliness.
Yes, but that's my point. You're saying, in your post, that saying ""Shut the h*ll up you f**ing little b*gger!" is somehow wrong. Because a bunch of women (let's not kid ourselves) decided that that's unacceptable behavior. It's the same as Prohibition; the Carrie Nations of the world decided for everybody else what was right, what was wrong and what we should do.

I wouldn't discuss murders, rapes, etc., with children, either. Or Sexual congress between adults. There's a difference between innocence, suitable topics and whether or not saying "poop" versus "No. 2" or "s**t" makes the latter profanity and unhearable in polite company, versus the former two.

If your comment means, for example, that while you wouldn't say it TO small children, you'd yell at another adult "screw you!" in their hearing, but wouldn't say Eff you...I mean, that's madness. I'm not criticizing you, seriously. I'm saying that this sort of distinction is the ubiquitous Cognitive Dissonance that we see everywhere these days.

I mean--who decided that s**t is unacceptable in "polite" company, but "poop" is perfectly fine? Am I the only one that finds that bizarre or utterly irrational?

Hitch
Old 01-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #83
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You have a typo: iprmoetnt -> iprmoatnt
Belgium that, as Douglas Adams famously said when faced with BBC R4 rules in 1975 approximately.

And in the UK a faggot is a mince meat item or stick, and Ireland a stick. A rubber is what the child asks for to erase the pencil.

USA and Western Isles of Europe barely speak the same English. USA dates are baffling if you don't know they are USA format.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-27-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:12 PM   #84
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I mean--who decided that s**t is unacceptable in "polite" company, but "poop" is perfectly fine? Am I the only one that finds that bizarre or utterly irrational?
Hitch
We call it poo, but not Pooh, because that's a name, not just used by the bear.

Or USA calling the toilet room / loo etc the Bathroom? It sounds SO funny when a USA visitor asks for the Bathroom. Forty years ago people here would have been baffled.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:08 PM   #85
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Maybe, instead of asterisks, we can just re-arrange the letters in the words??

"It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae"
Is that what the UK store FCUK is up to?

As to why some posters use '**', some forum software has block lists for words.

As to why there is squeamishness for some words when equivalents are OK, I think it dates back to Anglo Saxon derived words being considered crude and vulgar and French derived words being considered more suitable for polite company.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:44 PM   #86
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Yes, but that's my point. You're saying, in your post, that saying ""Shut the h*ll up you f**ing little b*gger!" is somehow wrong. Because a bunch of women (let's not kid ourselves) decided that that's unacceptable behavior. It's the same as Prohibition; the Carrie Nations of the world decided for everybody else what was right, what was wrong and what we should do.

I wouldn't discuss murders, rapes, etc., with children, either. Or Sexual congress between adults. There's a difference between innocence, suitable topics and whether or not saying "poop" versus "No. 2" or "s**t" makes the latter profanity and unhearable in polite company, versus the former two.

If your comment means, for example, that while you wouldn't say it TO small children, you'd yell at another adult "screw you!" in their hearing, but wouldn't say Eff you...I mean, that's madness. I'm not criticizing you, seriously. I'm saying that this sort of distinction is the ubiquitous Cognitive Dissonance that we see everywhere these days.

Hitch
Sooooo....the way I think of it is: what is the intent of the speaker. If I say "Shut the h*ll up you f**ing little b*gger!" then the emotion of the swear words comes through....at least it would if I said it - because I would have to be extremely upset. People pick up on the non-verbal communication that coincides with the verbal portion.... babies would cry, children would become fearful, adults would quake in their boots ... it wouldn't be a pleasant experience...and it certainly wouldn't be appreciated in polite company.

In the south we have a term "Bless your heart!" that can be meant in a myriad of ways... You can take it at face value - which tourists tend to and don't realize they are probably being insulted - or you could be confused, or it could even be grounds for declaring Kanly! Likewise, I could say "Shut the h*ll up you f**ing little b*gger!" with a super sweet voice and a big smile on my face and the baby would only pick up on the sweet voice and smile, the child may or may not understand the words and look at you funny, the adult would know that you were being very fake/false/sarcastic and respond with anything from a laugh to a punch in the nose.

What happens when the child repeats your words in school thinking it is perfectly acceptable as long as they smile??

Personally I have made it a point to curtail my swearing. In high school I was a potty mouth... Then the college I attended required us to memorize quotes about how cursing was 'not acceptable'...
Spoiler:
Quote:
General George Washington:
The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish, and wicked practice, of profane cursing and swearing (a Vice heretofore little known in an American Army) is growing into fashion; he hopes the officers will, by example, as well as influence, endeavour to check it, and that both they, and the men will reflect, that we can have little hopes of the blessing of Heaven on our Arms, if we insult it by our impiety, and folly; added to this, it is a vice so mean and low, without any temptation, that every man of sense, and character, detests and despises it.
and then I had kids and had to watch my language in front of them. I made it into a game - see how creative I could be about replacing bad words with nonsense, or other words. (eg. My Grandma taught me: "Sugar Honey Ice & Tea") The result of the game was an expanded vocabulary, and by the time I figured out something creative to say, usually the anger (and thus the non-verbal communication) was either gone, or drastically reduced.

If you associate with people who constantly swear like sailors, then you tend to think it is totally OK, or even expected, to talk like that. If you associate with kids and/or other "polite" groups then it is quite shocking when you hear it.

And remember - In this day and age it is like walking a tightrope trying not to offend one group or another...it would be difficult for an open website like MR to justify allowing p**ty talk.

---OK, back to our reg**arly sche**led thread---
Old 01-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #87
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Is that what the UK store FCUK is up to?

As to why some posters use '**', some forum software has block lists for words.

As to why there is squeamishness for some words when equivalents are OK, I think it dates back to Anglo Saxon derived words being considered crude and vulgar and French derived words being considered more suitable for polite company.
I think that is an excellent point. I have a similar theory about why artists believe that Fine Art is noble, but that commercial art is dirty, done for filthy lucre, only, and therefore unworthy and beneath them.

I blame the early Christian Church, which ripped off, er, encouraged masons and other craftspeople and artists, to donate their stuff for the Glory of God, rather than paying them for the value. I think that this promulgated that (ridiculous) belief that art created (or books written) for the soul, for the spirt, are noble and worthy, but art created for, say, an ad agency at the direction of another, or a book written in genre fiction, with its purpose to sell, are lower forms of life, unworthy creations tainted by the ordurous MONEY.

The Church basically instilled this belief far and wide, enabling them to obtain a lot of work for very little money and a ton of fine artworks, ditto--but it's been retained, throughout history, as if sitting down to write a novel in cozy mysteries or romances is something of which to be ashamed. That some book written as Literary Fiction is by its mere existence, better, finer, nobler than say, Agatha Christie or hell, Dan Brown. Better than Stephen King or Robert B. Parker (rest his soul) or the like.

It's utter balderdash. I mean, the real distinction is what--intent? So if Suzie sits down and writes her novel, as LitFic, but it catches on and sells a million copies, it's great LitFic and Fine Art, but if Fred sits down and pens his work intending it to be action-adventure and it catches on and sells a million copies, it's "just" genre fiction? And not as good, as fine, as noble as Suzie's book? What a load.

So, yes, I find the English versus French explanation quite feasible. Why not?

Hitch
Old 01-27-2021, 01:55 PM   #88
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
My wife would probably agree with that... she talks Latin and word entomology all the time.

I remember someone saying something about why US english and British english were slightly different...they were originally the same, but the British aristocrats didn't want to be compared to those uppity commoners in America so started spelling/speaking differently. I have no idea if that is accurate...
Old 01-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #89
knightrider247
knightrider247 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I had to look whether I am still in the right thread. :-)
To all whom it may interest: I uploaded two test versions of photobooks to KDP

Version 1: Self "programmed" EPUB as you guys advised me
Version 2): Comic created with the old(!) version of the Comic Creator (MOBI)

Regarding version 1:
-it works
-it has the margins on all the devices I own (Kindle App, Paperwhite) ... I mean ... if I double tap they disappear
-the listing on Amazon does not say with what devices it is compatible

Regarding Version 2:
-works just like the one of the example I once shared - but no panel view (I guess I didnt see that option)
-the listing states with what devices this is compatible

Kindle E-Reader
Kindle (5. Generation)
Kindle Keyboard
Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite (5. Generation)
Kindle Touch
Kindle Voyage
Kindle
Kindle Oasis
Kindle Fire Tablets
Kindle Fire HD (1. Generation)
Kindle Fire
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9''
Kindle Fire HDX
Kindle Fire HD (3. Generation)
Fire HDX 8.9 Tablet
Fire HD 7 Tablet
Fire HD 6 Tablet
Fire HD 10
Fire HD 8
Fire
Fire Phones
Fire Phone
Kostenlose Kindle Lese-Apps
Kindle for Windows 8
Kindle Cloud Reader
Kindle für Android
Kindle für Android Tablets
Kindle für iPhone
Kindle für iPod Touch
Kindle für iPad
Kindle für Mac
Kindle für PC

Now my question:
Is it correct to assume that the listing where it does not state with what devices it is compatible is with more devices compatible than the other one?
(in short: is it correct to conclude that version 1 is compatible with more devices than version 2)

I know I know ... that is what you guys have been saying all along ...

Anyway ... I think I have a pretty good workflow with the single html files in Calibre in order to create the EPUB. And it is a good feeling to exactly know what is going on ...

Thank you!
Knightrider
knightrider247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:23 AM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
And in the UK a rubber is what the child asks for to erase the pencil.
That's because in the UK, most pencils do not come with an eraser on the end.

Quote:
USA and Western Isles of Europe barely speak the same English. USA dates are baffling if you don't know they are USA format.
I prefer US style dates. But I do thing computer dates are best. 2021-01-28 is the best format for a date. That should be used worldwide.

And if the UK ditched metric, gas would be cheaper as they'd pay by the gallon and not the smaller sized litre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
format, kdp, photobook