Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Which E-Ink reader supports the most formats?

If my primary concern is to have the greatest number of format support, then which would be the best E-Ink reader? I feel obliged to go with E-Ink as opposed to other screen technologies.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Hanlin V3 supports the most formats natively. Also, now that it has Mobipocket support it also supports the largest number of converted formats.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

I understand the Hanlin V3 is sold under various re-branded names... Is that correct? Which current devices are Hanlin V3s?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
With the addition of FBReader, the iRex iLiad and DR1000S may support the most formats. They have largers screens, but are also more expensive than the 6" screen devices. The Hanlin also has a FBReader add-on, and OpenInkpot (alternative firmware for EInk devices, currently the Hanlin) comes with FBReader and (soon) a PDF reader.

Only the Sony PRS-505 and PRS-700 supports multiple DRMed formats (Sony, Adobe PDF and Adobe ePub).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
Which current devices are Hanlin V3s?
See the E-book Reader Matrix.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given a choice between mediocre support for many formats, or high quality support for a few, I'd go for the latter every time. Format conversion is, generally speaking, easy to do, but if all document formats are displayed poorly, you can't do anything about that.

There's a lot of truth in the old saying "jack of all trades, and master of none".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Doesn't the new BeBook support a lot of formats? (I ask because I am a little confused on this.)
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
Doesn't the new BeBook support a lot of formats? (I ask because I am a little confused on this.)
Yes, it does, but it's a Hanlin V3 clone.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
daesdaemar
Addict

Which DRMed formats does the Hanlin V3 support?

Am I correct that it DOES NOT support Adobe?

Last edited by daesdaemar; 10-29-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

MobiPocket - but not (at the moment) terribly well. That was the reason for my comment about preferring good support for a small number of formats to mediocre support for more.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given a choice between mediocre support for many formats, or high quality support for a few, I'd go for the latter every time. Format conversion is, generally speaking, easy to do, but if all document formats are displayed poorly, you can't do anything about that.
I agree and was going to say the same thing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

There's a lot of truth in the old saying "jack of all trades, and master of none".
But since Hanlin V3 can run FBReader then it supports the format as good as FBReader and I have not seen people claiming that FBReader is bad.

If you accept converting files I am sure you can convert any non-DRM infested book to a format that works well.

But you are right that poorly supported formats can lead to more work. The support for html on the Cybook caused me much problems lately when I tried to just take an html file from the net and view it (the Cybook rebooted if there was more than on html tags in the document...). So it had been better in this case if html had not been supported.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But since Hanlin V3 can run FBReader then it supports the format as good as FBReader and I have not seen people claiming that FBReader is bad.
FBReader is a good program but has quite a few limitations. for example no css or other styles and no tables. CHM is limited in the size of files it will accept and there are other limits on various formats. You can read about it in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:54 AM   #14
daesdaemar
Addict

Sorry to be so dense, but I need to ask a specific question. In light of the fact that I would be making use of public lending libraries which have many volumes in Adobe PDF/Digital Editions and Mobi DRM, which ereaders support both those formats best?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
Sorry to be so dense, but I need to ask a specific question. In light of the fact that I would be making use of public lending libraries which have many volumes in Adobe PDF/Digital Editions and Mobi DRM, which ereaders support both those formats best?
Unfortunately no one device supports them both "best".

The Sony Reader probably has the best support for DRM-protected Adobe books; the CyBook Gen3 has the best support for MobiPocket books.