Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-24-2019, 03:30 AM   #61
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What Windows XP updates? Windows XP, as far as I recall, went EOL in 2014 and you can count the number of updates since then rather easily. One emergency update in 2014 for Internet Explorer and one emergency update in 2017 for a vulnerability being used by WannaCry. Even updates to the older Office versions are increasingly rare.

Or perhaps you are working for one of those rare sites which paid for continued support for Windows XP?

Too true.
I bought a rip roarer Dell in 99 with W97. Went several OS iterations and now have XP, SP3. The computer is slow these days, but fine for a router, and print and file server and with it's huge monitor it is a good for charting. It also has my free very old Web Site Editor that I only use occasionally.

I would use it more, but the hardware/software doesn't seem to support my Chrome Browser and so I have to use Firefox on it.

I much prefer Chrome and find that a Chromebook is what I usually use. I do have (2) 17 inch Window's laptop machines that are my wife's castoffs that I updated to Windows 10.

My old work laptop had a disaster on the motherboard and I decided it wasn't worth fixing.

As you mention above, nothing much is new on the XP update front, though the machine keeps telling me it has 5 updates ready. Nothing changes when they run.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmalicious View Post
Apple allows you to uninstall most of their core apps, those that the system doesn’t rely on like Camera, Photos, and Safari. You can delete the rest.
Google does that as well.

What people refer to as bloatware are usually third party apps that come installed on a phone and cannot be uninstalled. Nexus/Pixel phones do not have bloatware at all, even carrier apps. Samsung used to be riddled with it. Junk like the NFL app or Slacker Radio that could be turned off but not uninstalled.

Samsung makes beautiful hardware, but I'll never buy one of their phones due to all the antics they pull on the software side. Aside from third party bloatware, they also post their own duplicate versions of apps that Google already has better versions of. Like Samsung Gallery for instance.

Not sure if it still works this way, but it used to be that a Samsung phone would come with Google Messeges, Samsung's messenger and the phone company's messenger. Maps and cloud storage were similar.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #63
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I bought a rip roarer Dell in 99 with W97. Went several OS iterations and now have XP, SP3. The computer is slow these days, but fine for a router, and print and file server and with it's huge monitor it is a good for charting. It also has my free very old Web Site Editor that I only use occasionally.

I would use it more, but the hardware/software doesn't seem to support my Chrome Browser and so I have to use Firefox on it.

I much prefer Chrome and find that a Chromebook is what I usually use. I do have (2) 17 inch Window's laptop machines that are my wife's castoffs that I updated to Windows 10.

My old work laptop had a disaster on the motherboard and I decided it wasn't worth fixing.

As you mention above, nothing much is new on the XP update front, though the machine keeps telling me it has 5 updates ready. Nothing changes when they run.
I misspoke! It was late.

The (2) 17 inch laptops I spoke of were my middle son's castoffs. I bought him computers while he was in college and so he gives me his old ones now, and he never gets anything except 17 inch machines for his financial trading, buying and selling money and the like. I tried giving my younger son one of them after I updated it, but he wants smaller machines. (I think he is trying to get me to buy him one exactly like he wants.) I do usually give him tools for his birthdays and Christmas. I did give him a Fire tablet but he complained about it not having the regular google stuff, and didn't seem to want to learn how to get it himself so I sent it back.

I try to give people fishing poles and tackle, not fish.

My wife's castoffs are my Chromebook and one super 15 inch machine that had a hard drive crash. I could fix it but with all the machines that are running, why bother.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #64
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I misspoke! It was late.

The (2) 17 inch laptops I spoke of were my middle son's castoffs. I bought him computers while he was in college and so he gives me his old ones now, and he never gets anything except 17 inch machines for his financial trading, buying and selling money and the like. I tried giving my younger son one of them after I updated it, but he wants smaller machines. (I think he is trying to get me to buy him one exactly like he wants.) I do usually give him tools for his birthdays and Christmas. I did give him a Fire tablet but he complained about it not having the regular google stuff, and didn't seem to want to learn how to get it himself so I sent it back.

I try to give people fishing poles and tackle, not fish.

My wife's castoffs are my Chromebook and one super 15 inch machine that had a hard drive crash. I could fix it but with all the machines that are running, why bother.
My youngest turned back in the Fire HD talet I gave him, and won't accept any of the 17 inch laptops I have offered.

Seems like a 6 inch phone is all he needs or wants. And by the way, he could keep the phone and have the tablet or the laptop as well, but he doesn't want the bother.

I know better than to try to understand my daughters, but I thought I would at least have a chance with my sons. But ...

Last edited by frahse; 01-30-2019 at 05:48 PM.