Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfpeter View Post
OK. Maybe you could find a way to lock the library when Calibre is open unlock it when it is closed. Mobile write access would only work if library is not locked.
Calibre is not recommended to be run from a cloud.
Any Library IN THE CLOUD, is a COPY of the Library on the host.
Running a full sync while calibre is in use, is asking for disaster. Always PAUSE sync when using calibre.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #17
ralfpeter
ralfpeter began at the beginning.

Device: none
IMO, the goal should be to be able to run it in the cloud so it can be accessed and maintained from multiple devices, with perhaps writing being restricted to one device at a time. FYI, I started to try out the Calibre Box app on my phone, which does not support writing at all, but has nice UI.
ralfpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2018, 07:18 AM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfpeter View Post
IMO, the goal should be to be able to run it in the cloud so it can be accessed and maintained from multiple devices, with perhaps writing being restricted to one device at a time. FYI, I started to try out the Calibre Box app on my phone, which does not support writing at all, but has nice UI.
Could be the goal of someone that is writing a cloud-based calibre library manager like Calibre Box. You, perhaps.

CC is a device-based library manager that has three source for transferring books: wireless device, cloud, and content server connections. It will never support writing a calibre database in the cloud. Because it is intended to be used offline, it can't be a cloud-based library manager.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:31 PM   #19
ralfpeter
ralfpeter began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, I unfortunately do not have the skills needed to write any software. And I thank you for taking the time to write a great piece of software that is very helpful.

I am just trying to suggest something that would make sense to me. More and more software is moving to cloud (e.g., google docs, photos, movies etc) that used to be local. Many of them allow off-line editing which then introduce the problem of syncing which I understand can be tricky but has the benefit of bringing device independence.
Anyway I understand you don't want to tackle that and that is fine.
thanks again for writing it in the first place and also for taking time to reply.
ralfpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #20
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Could be the goal of someone that is writing a cloud-based calibre library manager like Calibre Box. You, perhaps.

CC is a device-based library manager that has three source for transferring books: wireless device, cloud, and content server connections. It will never support writing a calibre database in the cloud. Because it is intended to be used offline, it can't be a cloud-based library manager.
I don't recall if Kovid has added an option to edit calibre library with the new webui/server. If he has then maybe in the future someone can hook something into it to mark books read for people though if you can connect with the webui you can set calibre companion over the web to connect to calibre normally to sync so won't make much of a difference.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert