Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
alexyung
alexyung began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
Any tutorial to install ImageMagick

I bought Kobo aura one around half year ago for reading comic.

However, I gave up this device after two month later because of its very slow performance of reading comic when compare with kindle or other devices.

But I found this video today
Kobo Touch + Manga (Edited with ImageMagick)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZxiOoQAeo

It seems is a apps (I think?) to use to improve Kobo performance (really fast)
So, how can I install this magical ImageMagick on my kobo aura one, I am browsing and searching post on google but cannot find any tutorial

Please help. Thank you
alexyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ImageMagick is a swiss army knife for batch processing images. ( http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php )

If you have a manga and it has - white borders, bad contrast, full color pages, wrong resolution, etc. - you could use ImageMagick (or anything else) on the PC to convert all these images into something that would look better on an ebook reader.

(Trim borders, improve contrast, convert color to 16 level grayscale that the eink screen can display, remove background noise, ...)

It's not something you install on the Kobo itself (imagemagick is slow even on a PC)

Also it's not a 1 click solution either, ImageMagick is a tool you have to learn how to use and how to achieve the desired effect.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think you are misinterpreting the title of the video. As far as I can tell, it is just using the standard Kobo software. I'm pretty sure that ImageMagick is not being run on the device. They are probably using it to optimise the images in the comics for the device. In any case, I have never heard of ImageMagick being run on any Kobo device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
In any case, I have never heard of ImageMagick being run on any Kobo device.
Nor did I, but I think I remember it is included in NiLuJe's stuff. But of course, this has nothing to do with the video.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
alexyung
alexyung began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
Thank you for all your information.

I think what you mean is that ImageMagick is some kind of light version of photoshop and convert images to sutiable size that fit for the ebook reader. Right?

So, if I want to get a same speed like the guy demonstrate in youtube,
I need to change all imgaes to 1872 × 1404 px (this is a Screen resolution of kobo auru one). Am I right?
alexyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyung View Post
Thank you for all your information.

I think what you mean is that ImageMagick is some kind of light version of photoshop and convert images to sutiable size that fit for the ebook reader. Right?
Sorry, but I have to wonder what you thought was going on that you didn't even look to see what ImageMagick was. But, yes it is an image manipulation application. I have no idea how it compares to PhotoShop.
Quote:
So, if I want to get a same speed like the guy demonstrate in youtube,
I need to change all imgaes to 1872 × 1404 px (this is a Screen resolution of kobo auru one). Am I right?
Probably. I don't usually read comics, but optimizing the images to the device probably helps. But, I tried a comic I have as a CBZ on my Aura ONE. The 3057x1988 and full colour paging through it was slower than that video, but not by much.

I also have a kepub version of it generated with KCC, but for my Glo HD. KCC resize and converts them to greyscale while packing them as appropriate for the device. Reading through that was as fast as the CBZ. Calibre can also do the conversion and resize the images, but I think I have my options set to not alter the images.

I don't know what to suggest for the optimizing. I can't remember if anyone has suggested options here, and I don't do it enough to have worked it out for myself.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyung View Post
I think what you mean is that ImageMagick is some kind of light version of photoshop and convert images to sutiable size that fit for the ebook reader.
ImageMagick is a set of command-line tools for image manipulation (resizing, cropping, catenating, compositing, art effects, etc). It's often used programmatically by web servers or in batch conversions of large numbers of files. It's not a GUI image editor like Photoshop or GIMP, it's more comparable to the NetPBM utilities.

[Technically there's a primitive X GUI available with ImageMagick, but it's rarely used and not the focus of the package]
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
ImageMagick is a great piece of software, but for working with scans I'd use a dedicated piece of software like ScanTailor (GUI) or a command line tool like unpaper/pdfsandwich.

I've attached an example of ScanTailor processing here.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote