Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #76
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by h87booky View Post
I forgot to mention a little bug.

Kobo database forgets big zim files (I suppose > 4 Go?) after each reboot or switch to KOReader. I have to plugin USB or simulate an USB connection with KSM to resync, then Kobo rediscover the files. No problem with small zim files. Also, the sizes for these big files are completely wrong, for some with a big negative value.

However, at the end it works, Kobo builtin reader displays the montruous 62 Go wikipedia_en_all_novid without any slowdown.

This bug doesn't affect the kiwixserve/browser method.
All that with last FW 4.6.9995?

Apart from that, thank for the solution
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #77
h87booky
h87booky knows what time it ish87booky knows what time it ish87booky knows what time it ish87booky knows what time it ish87booky knows what time it ish87booky knows what time it ish87booky knows what time it ish87booky knows what time it ish87booky knows what time it ish87booky knows what time it ish87booky knows what time it is

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
All that with last FW 4.6.9995?
No, with 3.19.5761 kernel, to use the Kobo built-in zim reader.
h87booky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #78
WandersFar
WandersFar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (Original)
It’s been a while since anyone’s posted to this thread, so I was wondering if there’s been any new developments.

I have the original Kobo Aura, the one that supports up to a 32GB MicroSD. Following the directions in the OP, I downloaded the latest Wikipedia ZIM that would fit on my card, the no pic version, ~20GB. I also grabbed the latest Wiktionary and Wikivoyage ZIMs while I was at it.

I chopped up the Wiki ZIM into 2GB pieces as recommended in the OP’s links, and transferred all the files onto the MicroSD. I installed it in my Aura, and booted it up.

Kobo complained that the MicroSD wasn’t FAT32—even though it was—but then a moment later imported the content anyway. I scrolled through My Books and saw all three ZIMs, Wikipedia, Wiktionary and Wikivoyage, and I could open all three and read the opening pages.

Search does not work, however. Either searching while within that book, or from within another unrelated book. The only option is to connect to the internet and search Wiki online, it doesn’t recognize the offline ZIM.

I have the latest firmware for the Kobo Aura. Do I have to downgrade to an earlier version to get this to work? What is the latest firmware version I can install to access and search the ZIMs from within Kobo’s built-in Wikipedia link?
WandersFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:46 AM   #79
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Some recent firmware broke zim, search stopped working. There use to be a search wikipedia menu item, but they removed it.
And even when search worked, links between files in a split zim didn't work.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #80
WandersFar
WandersFar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (Original)
Thanks for the info. Do you know which is the last firmware version that supported ZIM?

Would it be possible for me to downgrade my Kobo to that version so I could get ZIM support? I don’t mind if internal links don’t work, so long as I can access Wiki through the My Books menu and search there that would be fine.
WandersFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #81
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WandersFar View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know which is the last firmware version that supported ZIM?
4.0.7523 was the last one that let you search inside ZIM files. But reading stats were broken in this version so if you care about that, stick with 3.19.

Because the newer firmwares still open and render ZIM files, I wonder if it's just that the menu option to search a ZIM file was removed and if it and the interface could be restored by a patch. The release notes for 4.1 specifically said something about cleaning up menu items.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:18 AM   #82
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Pan View Post
I tried to convert an wikipedia dump xml file(18,5 GB) to kobo's dicthml format using penelope, but every time i get an "Memory Error".
It seems 20GB of RAM is a bit poor...
Has someone tips/hints?
could you post a link with the full wikipedia en (the complete one and with the lower size of Gb) in stardict format?

I can try a conversion by myself or there could be someone that can convert it in a epub or mobi format!
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #83
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
On the kobo touch 2.0

Is it possible to load all the offline wikipedia (no videos, no pictures) on a kobo touch 2.0?

I mean to replace the micro SD with a Sandisk class 4 of 32 GB. Do you think it will give problems to the device?

thanks
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #84
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Full wikipedia with no images is under 20G I think, and several sites update their images of it once or twice a year. (The formats I've tried are zim and kiwi; there are readers for android.)

The filesystem on the kobo only supports 2G files; however, there are multiple versions of the full text of wikipedia that are pre-split into 2G chunks.

Having said that, none of those existing formats is currently readable on the kobo. zim use to be readable on kobo, but it was buggy, and was broken the rest of the way and then the menu entries needed for it removed completely over the course of several firmware versions. (This is detailed in this thread I think.)

It is also possible to hack the kobo and install an internal webserver that serves one of the above formats and then use the internal web browser to view it. Details for that are also available here. Unfortunately, that method doesn't appeal to me for multiple reasons.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:47 PM   #85
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Any chance this works on a Kobo Aura H2O2 (no expandable memory)?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:50 AM   #86
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Any chance this works on a Kobo Aura H2O2 (no expandable memory)?
Ummm.. 20GB on a peroxide? Not much of a chance.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:40 AM   #87
Pioneer129
Pioneer129 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura h2o, kobo glo, pocketbook 622, Kobo Aura one
Is it still working in July, 2020 FW 6.22.x Kobo Aura H20

Hi, has anyone tried this offline Wikipedia lately,if its still working or not?
Pioneer129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:23 AM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer129 View Post
Hi, has anyone tried this offline Wikipedia lately,if its still working or not?
There is no firmware 6.22.x. The current firmware is 4.22.15190.

The first question is, do you have enough free storage for the offline Wiki?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #89
Pioneer129
Pioneer129 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura h2o, kobo glo, pocketbook 622, Kobo Aura one
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no firmware 6.22.x. The current firmware is 4.22.15190.

The first question is, do you have enough free storage for the offline Wiki?
Oh yeah, 4.22.15190 precisely. I have 32gb memory card which I can insert in my Kobo Aura H2o.
Is it stll working?
Pioneer129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:14 AM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer129 View Post
Oh yeah, 4.22.15190 precisely. I have 32gb memory card which I can insert in my Kobo Aura H2o.
Is it stll working?
That I cannot say as I've never tried Wiki offline.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, kiwix, wikipedia, wikipedia offline, zim