Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2015, 05:11 AM   #1
technofunky
technofunky began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, iPad Air
Upgrading from a Kobo Glo to Paperwhite 2015

Hi there, I currently use a Kobo Glo for reading loved it so far but it has become painfully slow. Loading books takes a bit of time, the device will sometimes just not respond to touches etc. So was wanting to upgrade to the Paperwhite 2015. So just needed your opinions especially from people who have upgraded to the paperwhite from the Kobo Glo.

Also another question I wanted to ask is can I sideload books easily on the kindle, (by sideload I mean ahem, cough cough versions) since the Kobo accepts epubs etc from anywhere.
technofunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're asking for help with pirated books, you won't get it here. We take piracy very seriously here at MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
technofunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're asking for help with pirated books, you won't get it here. We take piracy very seriously here at MR.
No no, my primary query was for views on upgrading to paperwhite from a kobo.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you're having trouble with touches not being recognised, try cleaning the device, taking care to remove dust/hair/crumbs/etc from the crevices which the infrared touch display needs clear.

After that, does your Glo still play up when using a properly formed legitimately-acquired book? If so, and you want help, post details.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Also try factory resetting your Kobo Glo.

The Paper white does not open epub files.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I used to own the Glo.

When it comes to sluggishness loading and responding to books, I've found that the Kobo is very efficient at loading and page turning on kepubs, moderately efficient for epubs, and poor on mobi. If you want your Glo to feel more responsive you should convert your epubs into kepubs in Calibre. That is what I did with the epubs that I bought from Books a Million.

As for not recognizing touches, that is a bug that I've seen in both the Glo and Aura HD. It sometimes happens, and I don't think that your device is defective.

The newer Paperwhite is more responsive. But before you upgrade, you should try reading kepubs to see the Glo perform at full throttle. It's also been my experience that typesetting and font rendering also looks better when the Glo is displaying kepubs as well.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I used to own the Glo.

../...
I still own a Glo

I find it very responsive with EPUB2 ("full throttle") using Koreader (along with KSM07). No bug about unrecognized touches. Everything - nearly at least - is customizable. Ideal for proofreading with the Evernote plugin.

PDF display is also superior. (and it works with many other formats).

Last edited by roger64; 08-02-2015 at 09:15 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Nothing wrong with getting a new PW2--but I'm with the others who posted here--it may not be necessary if you still love your Glo. I have a Kobo Aura HD and every once in a while, it seems to get a little sluggish and doesn't always turn the page first time I tap. What helps me is simply turning the Aura HD completely off by holding the power switch until the screen goes blank. Then hold the power switch again until I see the five boxes in the middle of the screen--and the Aura HDstarts back up again. Aura HD is now responsive again. I've never had to do a factory reset on my Aura HD, but I would do this before I decided to give up on my reader.

But, like I said earlier, there's nothing wrong with buying a new reader if you want one :-) I currently have a Kobo Aura HD (as mentioned above) and a Kindle PW2--use both of them quite frequently. And with Calibre, I can convert my books between formats--usually have the same book on both readers. And to top all that off, I just ordered a Kindle Voyage. Been wanting one since they first came out and got a special offer for $30 off from Amazaon--so used that in conjunction with giftcards I had.

Good luck!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
technofunky

Thanks guys, I have done a factory reset of the kobo glo and lets see how it performs. Although the lags and touch issues are still there.

Another thing I wanted to know is that on the kobo glo through a hack we are able to get the black background and white text night mode but seems this is not possible on the paperwhite even through a hack.

I read my books in bed before going to sleep since this is the only way I can go to sleep, the kobo glo's backlight can only go low to a certain level and is still bright in a pitch black room, so that hack helps. But what about the paperwhite does the backlight go really low so that it doesn't irritate you.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technofunky View Post

I read my books in bed before going to sleep since this is the only way I can go to sleep, the kobo glo's backlight can only go low to a certain level and is still bright in a pitch black room, so that hack helps. But what about the paperwhite does the backlight go really low so that it doesn't irritate you.
The range for the frontlight on the Kindle PW2 is between 1 and 24. Personally, when I'm in a dark room, I can't see the text of the reader well enough to read unless the light is at least at level 7--and for the most comfortable reading, I usually have it set between 9 and 11. I know other people here read in the dark at between 5 and 7--not sure if I have bad eyes or the light is a little different on my reader. But, to your point I'm sure you'll be able to set the light low enough.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
The range for the frontlight on the Kindle PW2 is between 1 and 24. Personally, when I'm in a dark room, I can't see the text of the reader well enough to read unless the light is at least at level 7--and for the most comfortable reading, I usually have it set between 9 and 11. I know other people here read in the dark at between 5 and 7--not sure if I have bad eyes or the light is a little different on my reader.
There's a difference in the requirement for lighting depending on age. From this site:

“Research shows that a 60-year-old needs twice as much light as a 30-year-old. Most of the commonly found lighting guidelines are written with the 30-year-old user in mind,” Eusterbrock explains."
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by technofunky View Post
The frontlight on the Paperwhite at the lowest setting isn't as bright as the light on the Kobo Glo. There are some variances between devices but generally you can set the light on the Paperwhite to such a low level that the text isn't legible.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
There's a difference in the requirement for lighting depending on age. From this site:

“Research shows that a 60-year-old needs twice as much light as a 30-year-old. Most of the commonly found lighting guidelines are written with the 30-year-old user in mind,” Eusterbrock explains."
I'm sure that's part of it. I'm 49 now--so closer to 60 than to 30--and I do notice that I need more light to read comfortably than I used to.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use a setting of 4% on my H2O when reading in total darkness. I find that works very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, glo, kindle, kobo, paperwhite