Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
thelittlewildone
thelittlewildone began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo Glo HD activity not updating

I'm having an issue with my Activity on my Kobo. Only the book progress in percentage is updating as I read. The current chapter, hours of reading, average minutes per session and average pages per minute are not updating.

The most recent firmware is currently installed and before that I manually reinstalled the previous four editions. Still no luck.

Any other suggestion on what I can try to get these stats back to updating correctly?
thelittlewildone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As far as I have seen, there are no issues with the reading stats with firmware 4.8.11073. They were broken with 4.7.10413, but the two (or three depending on how you count) since then have been OK. And the few before it were as well. The stats were broken in different ways in some firmware versions early last year, but they were back on track after that.

There is an option to turn off the stats collection, but when you do this, you don't see the stats page, but a message about turning them on. But, now that I think about this, this might have changed recently. Kobo did move and rename the option and it is possible that before this, when the stats were turned off, you would see zeros on the stats page. It's been to long since I did this, so I don't remember for sure. In any case, you should check that the option is enable. Since 4.8.10956, it is the last option on the "Energy savings and privacy" page of the settings. Before that, it was on the "Reading settings" page.

The other possibility is that the database on the device is corrupt. This can prevent updates to the database and depending on which tables are affected, the reading stats might not be being saved properly. If you are a calibre user, you can check this with my Kobo Utilities plugin. Otherwise any SQLite database management tool should be able to do it.

And a little rant:

It really bugs me when people say something like "most recent firmware is currently installed". Why, simply because it only takes a few seconds to look and type in the actual firmware version being used. And the definition of "most recent firmware" is not always obvious. It can be different for each device or where you are in the world. And it is a problem because so many people have made this statement here and then discovered they weren't on the latest firmware.

Please everyone, you are asking for help. Help us help you by supplying accurate information.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote