Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
ned01
ned01 began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo tablet
Unhappy CC can no longer connect to calibre

I had a home network managed by a virgin router and could quite happily connect from calibre companion on an android tablet to the calibre content server on a windows 10 laptop both on the same home network.
I have now converted my Virgin router to a modem and installed a TP-Link deco mesh home network.
When I try to connect from Calibre Companion to the content server it connects and comes up with the words 'Index of Content Server'. It then comes up with the message 'Content Server not running' (which it is).
I have looked at the faq and have tried ensuring I have a full url but that makes no difference. I can ping between the two devices in both directions.
Has anybody got any ideas?
ned01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
You have checked that your pc is still on the same 192.168.0.nnn address ?
What options do you have in what is now the router, and what is now administering DHCP, as you have stopped the virgin router from doing that.

Taking cc out of the loop, can you see shared LAN folders on that pc via a file manager on the tablet. And can you actually copy files that you see ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-netw...specifications

One or more of the " advanced functions" listed here are probably to blame. Try disabling as much as you can, then re enable things one at a time once it works again
I wonder e.g. what web filtering does,. By default

I read all the fancy hype but I don't see how it does basic lan management. If your content server does not get to live on a fixed lan address then how is it going to work.
Did it come with an actual technical manual or does it claim to be so smart that thou don't need to know how , what it's doing ?

Last edited by stumped; 07-26-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Verify that none of the possibilities listed in http://faq.calibrecompanion.co/index...lution_id=1006 section 2 are true. In particular ensure that the W10 network is set to "private" (#1) and that the WiFi system isn't enforcing guest mode (#2).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard

-> ned01
did you solve this?
I am interested as I also have a virgin router, with it's less than stellar wifi, so its good to know what might improve it, and also what's not fully compatible.
If you are still stuck , I see that tp-link have a support service. or you can try the virginmedia community forums.. i found a few threads there via a search for deco mesh. some making the obvious point that if the virgin hub is in modem mode, then the deco has to be configured to be in router mode
I see mentions of P5 and p7 meshes, you did not say what you have ?
Advert
Old 07-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I am interested as I also have a virgin router, with it's less than stellar wifi, so its good to know what might improve it, and also what's not fully compatible.
FWIW: I have a Virgin router V3.0 and 3-node Linksys Velop mesh wifi. I have run the system
  • With only the Virgin router, using its wifi, with the Velops off.
  • With the Virgin router in modem mode, using the Velop's routing and wifi.
  • With the Virgin router in router mode and WiFi off, with the Velop running in bridge mode with main and guest WiFi (my current setup).
I all cases CC had no problems connecting to either the wireless device or the content server, as long as I was not connected to the guest network.

The velop backhaul connections are currently cabled, but I have run them in wireless mode. The only impact of using wireless backhaul was that the network was slower.

I tried a Netgear Orbi system. I sent it back because it was unreliable. One node wouldn't do a firmware upgrade, causing it to drop out of the mesh. The other two would drop the backhaul when someone walked through the imaginary line between the two devices.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard

In theory, with the virgin kit switched to modem only, it should work with anything.
I practice, virgin has a poor track record. E. G. There was a time when setting up a new roku streamer was very problematic. And there are many reports of virgin WiFi not placing nicely with sky TV WiFi mesh system as used by sky q boxes. When I added sky I insisted that the engineer used my wired power line kit and left sky WiFi disabled
I am wary of smart WiFi solutions that are allowed to change channels, nodes, routes in an ongoing auto optimise way.
I have a couple of Asus routers configured as wired access points to my virgin hub, so I can have strong fast WiFi where I use tablets for video streaming.. With those I can clock 100+ mb speeds on speed tests at fast.com And I use wired wherever possible. All the virgin WiFi has to do is work for phones and for alexa on amazon echo speaker. It manages that OK.
So a fancy mesh system is a nice to have, one day, maybe. But by then virgin will be onto their next generation of routers, which hopefully will be smarter and stringer
Old 07-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ox-router.html
Old 08-02-2019, 03:58 AM   #9
ned01

Thumbs up Resolved

Hi, Sorry for not responding earlier to your suggestions.
It was a windows issue. I've got W-10 Home edition which defaulkts a new network to public and has no function to change this. In the end I had to make a registry mod to make it private whereafter calibre companion began talking to calibre.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned01 View Post
Hi, Sorry for not responding earlier to your suggestions.
It was a windows issue. I've got W-10 Home edition which defaulkts a new network to public and has no function to change this. In the end I had to make a registry mod to make it private whereafter calibre companion began talking to calibre.
Huh!
You can change it easily for W10 Home
There is a blue line of text right under the network map of the Network Status form: Change connection Properties
That form has a Radio button choice: Public or Private
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Huh!
You can change it easily for W10 Home
There is a blue line of text right under the network map of the Network Status form: Change connection Properties
That form has a Radio button choice: Public or Private
to be fair, every windows update seems to move that feature to a new hiding place, , driving me ( and others) to ask uncle Google where to look.
As I recall, when you add a new network to a recent release you get one - just one - popup asking if you want public or private. If you miss that, you get public. And the question might be disguised as "do you want stuff to be discoverable "

but it does not need a registry hack - google knows all, and your descriptions above is OK for v1903. I just checked.

assuming you have the network icon on your home page then its
Network -> Network and Sharing centre -> the screen with the change network properties icon-

if you don't have the network icon on your home page, and cant work out where windows hid the show desktop icons this time around, then GIYF

back to the #1 report, it seems that the app saying content server not running, was not very helpful, or accurate. cannot locate content server would have been a better clue ?

Last edited by stumped; 08-02-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
ned01

@theducks: on my version of W-10 Home if I click ob 'change network properties' the options I get are: connect automatically when in range, metered connection, set a data limit and IP settings. My W-10 version number is 1803.
@stumped - it's not on that page either for me. As you say GIYF but only in providing me with the instructions for doing a registry hack.
However - it's working now.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #13
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned01 View Post
@theducks: on my version of W-10 Home if I click ob 'change network properties' the options I get are: connect automatically when in range, metered connection, set a data limit and IP settings. My W-10 version number is 1803.
@stumped - it's not on that page either for me. As you say GIYF but only in providing me with the instructions for doing a registry hack.
However - it's working now.
1803 had it in a different place, or maybe it went awol just for that one version. be specific with your google searches, or upgrade to latest 1903 ( better solution )

try this- it includes pictures for 1803. it does seem to have been problematic in that release though,. it is much simpler now
https://www.tenforums.com/network-sh...k-private.html
and here
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...html#option1s7
at one time you had to ( not intuitively) click on the actual connection within the networks - ethernet - networks - wifi to get to the switch

Tags
content server connect