Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Using privately owned landmarks

I'm thinking of gunning some people down at a nearby indoor shopping centre, is that something I would need to get permission for in advance, or something they could object to at a later date if/when they found out? I know it would be safer to use a fictional shopping centre instead, but I want part of it to take place on a local motorway nearby so it would still be obvious which one it was.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
This sounds like the perfect disprover of the concept that there is no such thing as bad publicity. I assume you mean you're thinking of writing about gunning some people down, btw.

Good question. I'm setting my next novel in our local sixth form college - there is only one in our little community and my novels take place in our little community and use actual buildings - and I haven't asked permission yet. But now you say this, I suppose I should really, and I'm not planning anything half as bad as gunning people down.

Don't expect any enthusiasm though. On the whole, perhaps better not to, and hope your book is not a box office breaker. Imagine if Warner Bros came and asked them for the movie rights. That would really drop you in the shit.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
There was a video game, Resistance, for the PS3, that took place in a Cathedral in England. The Church was upset (can't remember if they sued...)

Then again, that used the likeness, which could be copyrighted. Granted, with words, you are describing the likeness, but it's your own words.

So basically, beats me....
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would lean towards it is okay. But to be safe you can change the name, and only local readers would stand a chance of guessing it. I wrote comics for a while and used "big brown truck" as shipping company for a long time in that spirit. I was never contacted by anyone about it... but that could just mean not enough ppl read it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
Just use it. It will give a feeling of realism to your story, and as long as you make it clear that this is a work of fiction, I can't see a problem. At what point does the landmark become so small you need permission to use it?

If you were mentioning actual people who were not public figures, then it's different and leaves you open to accusations of libel if what you've written is unflattering.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't believe public spaces, even privately held, are protected by any sort of publicity or privacy laws, unlike people.

I've also seen disclaimers in some books saying that recognizable places are used fictionally.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Stephenie Meyer told the world that Forks, Washington was a dreary place to visit where it rains constantly and tourists will likely get eaten by a vampire or a werewolf if any were foolish enough to visit, and the Forksians practically worship her as a patron saint nowadays. So, there's that.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can't imagine that every film ever set in NYC has paid something to the owners of the Empire State Building, or that Yellow Cab gets a slice of the action if a cab is pictured driving down a NY street. But I'm no lawyer.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
My uneducated belief is that it's okay.

Remember the disclaimer in front of EVERY book published?

Quote:
BOOK is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote