Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 08-02-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
"New" Vision 4 HD impressions

GoodyStore (on eBay) had a Vision 4 HD (in "fair" condition) up for sale for $35. I needed another eReader like I needed a hole in the head... but a Vision 4 HD for $35!? So I figured I would test fate. I offered $30, expecting that someone else would buy it before they accepted that offer. Nope. On Monday morning they accepted my offer and on Wednesday it arrived. (Shipping is always fast with them.)

The condition was very good, no scratches or marks at all. The first thing I did was compare it to my Vision 2. Size and weight are identical. Both are "waterproof." I always thought the screen was good on the Vision 2, but the 300 dpi on the Vision 4 definitely stands out over the 212 dpi on the Vision 2. Don't get me wrong, I like the Vision 2's screen, it's "warmer" than the Kindles, but the 4's clarity is noticeably higher. Also the 4 has better lighting. Not only does it have the "Smart Light" (night mode, comfort light, etc.) but it has more white LEDs than the 2 (seven instead of five). When you add the six yellow LEDs (not orange like the Kobos and Nooks), you've got 13 LEDs total. This results in a very evenly lit screen. Definitely the best screen I've ever used (and I think it could stand up against any eReader).

And the screen is the main reason I like the 4. Clear, bright, even and the "comfort" light works great. The short time I tested a Nook Glowlight 3 (about a week) resulted in me thinking I didn't like the comfort light feature — because (on the Nook) it was too "dark" (too much orange). The lighter "yellow" is much nicer. It's almost like reading on vellum. I like it at night, but even at day I skew towards the warm setting. The screen is responsive and I find the tap2flip page turn feature works well on the 4 (a little better than on the 2).

Nothing new in the software. Still works to download eBooks directly from the library (via Overdrive). The built-in fonts are still too light for me (because of the higher dpi I think they're even a little lighter than on the 2). Still no "bolding" option for fonts. But loading Deja Vu Serif E-Book and Constantia takes care of the font issues. Very dark, sharp and clear on this screen. Still the same dictionary and "sparse" user interface. Which I don't mind (still wish I could turn off the bookmark icon, but that's Tolino's "thing").

Before the Vision 4 arrived I was checking out cases for it. Basically any case you can order for the Tolino has to come from Europe (and I didn't want to do that). So, after checking the specs against the new Kindle Paperwhite 4, I discovered that the Vision 4 was very slightly smaller in every dimension when compared to the Kindle Paperwhite 4. So I looked at a Fintie "leather" folio case built for the Paperwhite 4 and decided to take a chance on it, hoping the magnet would work. I order Fintie covers directly from Fintie on their eBay store(s) (they use names like "futureshop," etc., because 1) They're about 1/2 to 2/3 their price on Amazon (my case was $9.29 with tax and shipping, $15.99 plus tax on Amazon) and 2) They arrive very quickly. I ordered my case on Tuesday morning and it arrived on Thursday. And, like all those I order from these Fintie shops on eBay, it came directly from Dublin, Ohio from "Fintie, LLC." Fintie also has these "eBay shops" on the German eBay, and they do sell Fintie cases there, but not in the U.S. At any rate, the case arrived, the Vision 4 fit perfectly in it, but the magnet was placed just barely "off" for the Vision 4. Other than the magnet (which I knew was "iffy" anyhow) I'm very happy with the cover.

Cover on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRSVSGG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Same cover on eBay (directly from Fintie)...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Folio-Case-...53.m2749.l2649

That's about it. I hope Kobo doesn't "Kobo-ize" the Tolino line of eReaders. I think Tolinos are made better. I want the Vision 4s to be available in the future in case I ever need to buy a new one. If I ever buy a bigger screen eReader, I'll probably pick the Tolino Epos. Tolinos are my favorite eReaders. (I like the Shine and Page as well.)

(As usual, I rambled.) The pictures aren't the clearest. My phone camera refuses to allow the yellow to show up — correcting it out every time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190802_123507.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	172737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190802_124147.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	773.1 KB
ID:	172738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190802_123646.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	172739  

Last edited by rcentros; 08-02-2019 at 03:18 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:42 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Thanks for the review. I did consider the Tolino Epos a while back, but I learned the tap2flip feature has been removed from it (perhaps an Epos owner would care to comment?). And as it has no physical buttons either, it was a no-go for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Thanks for the review. I did consider the Tolino Epos a while back, but I learned the tap2flip feature has been removed from it (perhaps an Epos owner would care to comment?). And as it has no physical buttons either, it was a no-go for me.
Not that I've read much about the Tolino Epos, but I didn't realize that they ever had tap2flip. I do like the feature on the Vision 4.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I have an epos and they never had tap2flip so hard to say it was removed. It was an interesting sounding feature but I was iffy about it being useful with an Tolino in a case.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I have an epos and they never had tap2flip so hard to say it was removed. It was an interesting sounding feature but I was iffy about it being useful with an Tolino in a case.
It actually works pretty well in a case. Not quite as well if I fold the back flap on it and tap through two layers (I have to tap pretty hard to get it to work in that case). One layer (with the flap hanging loose) works fine.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:42 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Ah yes, I got the impression they had it at first, but I must have misunderstood. Still, a pity. I hate turning pages with the screen itself.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote