Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2016, 02:10 AM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Post (solved) Replacement for ImcoV6l - Icarus E653BK/Boyue ?

Decision reached.
Icarus E653BK, directly at Icarus.

They had an offer I couldn't refuse - 130 Euro (including shipping) for a E653BK, including cover, Google Play already installed.

Feel free to add your thoughts anyway :-D
Belive it or not, this thread helped reach my decision - being able to publicly write out my thoughts helped.

[another edit]Woohoo - 3 days after ordering I have it in my hands. Google play preinstalled. Yes! :-D

TL DR at the bottom

As I've recently updated the Imco to 1.21 and found I intensly dislike the update, but can't downgrad, I'm considering buying a new device.
(I have to admit I feel rather ashamed at wanting to do so. It's not as if the Imco is broken or anything, it's a minor issue, but it's rubbing me the wrong way...)

Since hardware buttons on both sides are a definite must (I *LOVE* having those buttons - no matter which hand I use, gloves or no gloves, I can always turn pages), and I want Android as system, I've tentatively settled on the Icarus.
(i.e. after reading a few pages and searching the internet for a few minutes, nothing better jumped me, and it's rather cheap)

However, the Icarus apparently is a Boyue T61, and there are newer models in that line.
New models with more power and features (headphones for example - never yet really used them, but still...)

OTOH, Amazon (de) currently offers the Icarus, but none of the Boyue as far as I can see.
I've never really had trouble with Amazon, so I tend to like them - returns if they happen have always been easy. I'm not sure if Banggood or other (to me) questionable sites would be as compliant.

TLDR: Icarus E653BK or a newer Boyue? Or something else?
Wishlist:
Android
Hardware buttons on both sides
ideally much processor power (I'm crazy enough to run distributed computing on an eReader)

I generally liked the ImcoV6L. Certainly liked the "feel" of it.

[edit]To make things more interesting, I've found that Icarus has a package of the E653BK+waterproof cover at 160Euro, so not much more than Amazon for the reader alone.
To make it worse, there's a refurbished offer at 40Euro, just the reader.
Hmm.
The imco's still working. But 40Euro isn't much, and I don't *really* need the cover...
(Only possible problem I see - only newer versions (less than a year?) allow easy installation of Google Play - at least that's what they claim on their site :-))

Last edited by Cyberman tM; 07-27-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boyue, icarus, imco