Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
Onyx Boox N96ML - How to add Ivona TTS and root?

Hi everyone, hopefully someone or even Booxter can help me with this. I just received my Onyx Boox N96ML (the one with the frontlight) and I don't see the Ivona Text To Speech and voice in Google Play. How do I add this? I really don't like the Pico TTS voice. If I'm not mistaken I would have to root? I'd really appreciate help on this! Thanks so much!
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 AM   #2
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Oh well never mind I was able to figure it out. I didn't have to root. For anyone who is interested in doing this also.
Advert
Old 05-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #3
iHasan
iHasan began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96ML
DO NOT ROOT THE DEVICE.. MINE JUST F** up after I root it
iHasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
stardest
Enthusiast

Ihasan in sorry to hear about your troubles. That's the reason I didn't root my onyx. I was afraid I wouldn't do it right and /or it would malfunction. I'm sure one of these threads would have the solution to do factory reset it booxter can help.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:14 AM   #5
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardest View Post
Oh well never mind I was able to figure it out. I didn't have to root. For anyone who is interested in doing this also.
Hi Stardest,

how did you install TTS then?

UncleZ
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasan View Post
DO NOT ROOT THE DEVICE.. MINE JUST F** up after I root it
What happened to your device? Are you able to start it in recovery mode (press back + power buttons to start the device)?
I never experienced any troubles during rooting of my samples from Onyx
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
stardest
Enthusiast

I will have to dig deeply into my memory as I totally forgot how I was able to install the IVONA TTS. Yes, my device is NOT rooted. If I’m not mistaken I had to adjust my options and allow installation of outside market apps. Then searched for the most recent Ivona voice APK and put it inside my microsd. (I didn’t want to put it in internal storage). If you do not install the most recent Ivona voice APK what happens is you get an error telling you to update the voice, something like that. I had to do several searches/trial and error for the most recent voice. Google Play doesn’t have the Ivona app & voice available. Then I installed the APK using my ES File Explorer. Then just adjust the TTS settings. I installed the Amy British voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
Hi Stardest,

how did you install TTS then?

UncleZ
Old 06-29-2016, 11:20 PM   #8
stardest
Enthusiast

Ugh, I jinxed myself. After I decided to remove the magnetic cover, suddenly my Onyx started acting up - i.e. kept crashing, apps saying it doesn't work, etc.c etc. I couldn't stand it anymore so I decided to change back to factory reset. Now it works and I've downloaded most of my previous apps BUTTTT I never saved the Ivona apks GAAAHHHH!!! so now I'm back to searching for that darned updated Ivona Amy.apk that works. So far I'm SOL!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:19 AM   #9
stardest
Enthusiast

Holy freakazoid I guess persistence pays off. Ok I was able to fix it. So basically you must get the super super recent Ivona Voice HQ installer. Then get the super recent Ivona Voice (in my case Amy). I thought it was just the voice you had to get the most recent. Turns out even the voice hq installer.

On a sidenote because I had to reboot the Onyx I had to reinstall all my apps. However I decided not to install my paid Nova Launcher. I think having too much apps, just bogs everything down. I've decided to use the ES File explorer to navigate so I don't have to go through the Content Browser which kinda sucks in navigation/page turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardest View Post
Ugh, I jinxed myself. After I decided to remove the magnetic cover, suddenly my Onyx started acting up - i.e. kept crashing, apps saying it doesn't work, etc.c etc. I couldn't stand it anymore so I decided to change back to factory reset. Now it works and I've downloaded most of my previous apps BUTTTT I never saved the Ivona apks GAAAHHHH!!! so now I'm back to searching for that darned updated Ivona Amy.apk that works. So far I'm SOL!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
What happened to your device? Are you able to start it in recovery mode (press back + power buttons to start the device)?
I never experienced any troubles during rooting of my samples from Onyx
which root apk did you use?
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote