Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Phixster
Phixster began at the beginning.

Device: None
Ebook reader for foreign languages

Hi there,

I've always read ebooks on my phone but a recent visit to the optometrist has made me consider getting a proper ebook reader in order to save my eyesight (and battery).

For context purposes: I'm from Australia, I've never owned an ebook reader before and I am not tied to any particular ecosystem. So I'm basically in the market for a new ebbok reader with the following features/requirements:

1. Can read/display Chinese well
- 95% of what I read is Chinese novels which I download from various sources. They are usually in txt format with some epub files. So it's important that Chinese language (both simplified and traditional) is able to be displayed well.

2. Sideloading books and borrowing library books
- probably most of what I will read will not be downloaded from the official store so the ebook reader I'm looking for should be able to do so in a relatively painless process and not crash or do some weird rendering thing...
- I also want to be able to read books borrowed from my local library
- I don't mind using calibre if required because I'm pretty sure no libraries in australia support kindle (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

3. Must have built in light. Pretty self explanatory.

4. In built dictionaries.
- mostly looking for a Japanese to English dictionary since I'm trying to improve my Japanese language ability and looking to start reading some novels

5. Price and portability. Looking for a portable size to be able to be held single handedly comfortably. Not considering any of the top range models because of price. Something around the 200aud mark.

Thanks for any advice.
Phixster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
For epubs and the library, you want a Kobo.
Not sure on the dictionary.

To anyone else with suggestions: his budget is roughly $152 today.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If foreign language support is your main criteria, you might want to get a Kindle. Otherwise pretty much any recent epub reader with built-in light will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixster View Post
1. Can read/display Chinese well
The Kindle GUI can be changed to Chinese or Japanese. It's also possible to use Chinese and Japanese keyboard layouts with the English GUI.
Quote:
2. Sideloading books and borrowing library books
Sideloading works after conversion to the AZW3 format with Calibre.
AFAIK, you won't be able to borrow Overdrive library books in Australia, unless they added Kindle support over the last few years.

Quote:
3. Must have built in light. Pretty self explanatory.
All Paperwhite, Voyage and Oasis models have built-in light.

Quote:
4. In built dictionaries.
All Kindle models come with free monolingual Chinese and Japanese dictionaries.
  • 现代汉语词典 (Xian Dai Han Yu Ci Dian) Commercial Press
  • 大辞泉 (Daijisen Japanese Dictionary)

If you register your Kindle, you can also download the following free bilingual dictionaries:
  • Progressive Japanese-English Dictionary (プログレッシブ和英中辞典第3版) Shogakukan
  • Progressive English-Japanese Dictionary(プログレッシブ英和中辞典) Shogakukan
  • Modern Chinese-English Dictionary (现代汉英词典) FLTRP
  • Modern English-Chinese Dictionary (现代英汉词典) FLTRP
Quote:
5. Price and portability. Looking for a portable size to be able to be held single handedly comfortably.
Current Kindle models weigh between 160 and 190 grams. If you're on a budget look for refurbished Paperwhites.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:22 AM   #4
Phixster
Phixster began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the advice.

How is kobo in terms of foreign language support?
Phixster is offline   Reply With Quote