Old 01-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #46
saluli
Connoisseur
saluli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
@saluli:

You didn't give me much to work on, so there are only two reasons that I can think of:

[1] You are using Calibre Portable, so CALM cannot find this file:

"C:\Users\Saluli\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C onsolidate All Library Metadata.json" (the odd space in 'Consolidate' is always added by mobilread.com after saving, since a path is so very long...)

Calibre Portable does not play well with many plug-ins, including CALM, unless the user jumps through hoops with several Calibre-specific environment variables. I refer you to the Calibre Portable documentation, as well as to other posts on that topic in this forum.

[2] You are using a "normal" Calibre, but did not first Refresh the Target Library on the Target Library Tab before going to the Source Custom Columns Tab. Remember that CALM is an add-on, not just a plug-in, and the Target Library is a very special metadata.db that also comes with a special metadata_tools.db file. Normally, you would first configure using the Target Library Tab, then the Source Library Tab, and then the Source Custom Columns Tab.

DaltonST
Sorry. I should have provided more details. I am using Calibre 2.48 on OSX, and have the command-line utility installed and working. My libraries are stored on a Box Sync folder, for easy backup, but the syncing is always paused when Calibre is used.

I suppose something is happening between when I select the parent folder for the CALM library (It should restart automatically then? Because it does not happens) and when I add the source libraries, because your instructions inside the plugin suggests that the snapshot process would not be instantaneous....
saluli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #47
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluli View Post
Sorry. I should have provided more details. I am using Calibre 2.48 on OSX, and have the command-line utility installed and working. My libraries are stored on a Box Sync folder, for easy backup, but the syncing is always paused when Calibre is used.

I suppose something is happening between when I select the parent folder for the CALM library (It should restart automatically then? Because it does not happens) and when I add the source libraries, because your instructions inside the plugin suggests that the snapshot process would not be instantaneous....
@saluli:

The fact that CALM says it will automatically restart and then never does means that it has fatal issues creating the Target Library on Box Sync. Your non-standard use of a Box Sync folder to put the Target Library on is likely to blame. Put the Target Library on a local drive, and see what happens.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #48
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
@saluli:

The fact that CALM says it will automatically restart and then never does means that it has fatal issues creating the Target Library on Box Sync. Your non-standard use of a Box Sync folder to put the Target Library on is likely to blame. Put the Target Library on a local drive, and see what happens.

DaltonST
What makes you think that a folder which is synced is not on a local drive?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #49
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@saluli:

Put the Target Library on a folder on a local drive and that is NOT a box synch folder. See what happens.

DaltonST
Old 01-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #50
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sync is paused, therefore it might as well not exist.
(The problem is edit clashes, but it's paused, right?)

It is possible that your plugin specifically looks for Box Sync metadata files and goes "hur, I will fail on you", but I doubt it.

You say things like "Your non-standard use of a Box Sync folder"... but as a matter of fact, it is not non-standard at all. It is quite common, actually (with the proviso that some people use e.g. Dropbox instead).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #51
DaltonST
Deviser

@saluli:

If simply putting the Target Library in a folder on a local drive that is NOT a Box Synch folder resolves the issue, then I suspect that there are abnormal, residual file locks that are causing the problem. I am sure there are utilities for OSX, as there are for Windows, that will list files that have locks on them.

If you resolve your issues, and if you decide to continue installing CALM, you should manually delete the entire Target Library .../CALM/ folder and its contents and extract a fresh Target Library into a freshly chosen path.

DaltonST
Old 01-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #52
saluli
Connoisseur

I tried to put the Target library on 2 different folders (both local and out of any sync service), but it still does not work. It still does not restart itself, nor detect the source libraries I try to save.

What more can I try?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #53
DaltonST
Deviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluli View Post
I tried to put the Target library on 2 different folders (both local and out of any sync service), but it still does not work. It still does not restart itself, nor detect the source libraries I try to save.

What more can I try?
@saluli:

Try creating the Target Library on the same drive as Calibre for OSX is installed upon within a brand new and completely normal folder that you have full security access to.

I have never used OSX, but if it were Windows, I would suggest that you rule out problems with permissions and security for both yourself and the Calibre executable itself.

Good luck.

DaltonST
Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #54
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 2.0.13 - New Metadata Tool: Copy Target Library CC to Source Library CC

Version 2.0.13 -2016-02-03 New Metadata Tool: Copy almost any Target Library Custom Column back to the mapped Source Library Custom Column, replacing the Source with the Target. Analagous to what is already available for Tags and Genre.

See the ToolTips on the Metadata Tools Tab for details.

An image is attached below. The new Tool section is named 'Custom Columns'.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calm_metadata_tools_tab.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	146022  
Old 02-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #55
saluli
Connoisseur

I will try again with a clean install.

But as I am already selecting my only HD and a folder inside my documents folder, I don't know what more I can do.

Not exactly sure how to text for permissions, but considering it is a new folder on a common location, it should not have any special restrictions...

Maybe it is just my luck that osx and the plugin doesn't talk to each other...
Old 02-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #56
DaltonST
Deviser

See the Original Post about setting environment variables, CALIBRE_TMP_DIR and TMPDIR etc.Also, manually run calibredb to ensure it works. Have Calibre Install update the Path too.

DaltonST
Old 02-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #57
DaltonST
Deviser

Also, the security/permissions issue would be about a spawned operating system process, not about the directory. See the OP note about UAC issues in Win7 for that reason. I know nothing about OSX, but I have to believe it has good security and controls about who or what does what.

DaltonST
Old 02-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #58
Beltonmike
Enthusiast
Beltonmike began at the beginning.

Device: Illumina XL HD
Hi, your program is just what I've been looking for but I can't make it work on win 10 I get:
calibre, version 2.51.0
ERROR: CALM: You may NOT select the CALM library itself.

It worked once but with no books in the destination library and since then the above message. I've tried deleting the CALM files and retrying, changing directories but I'm not getting anywhere!

I'm probably missing something really simple so if you could give me a clue that would be very kind
Beltonmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #59
DaltonST
Deviser

Source Libraries Consolidate into the CALM Target Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltonmike View Post
Hi, your program is just what I've been looking for but I can't make it work on win 10 I get:
calibre, version 2.51.0
ERROR: CALM: You may NOT select the CALM library itself.
@Beltonmike:

That CALM error message appears on the Source Library Tab when you try to make the CALM Target Library into a Source Library.

Source Libraries are Consolided into the special snapshot CALM Target Library.

You must have manually entered that into that Tab, because it will never load a CALM Target Library on its own using the list of all known libraries in Calibre after you click the pushbutton to do so.

You need to reread all of the ToolTips for all of the different widgets on the Source Library Tab, the Target Library Tab, and the Source Custom Columns Tab. Hover you mouse to view the ToolTips, which collectively comprise the User Guide.

DaltonST
Old 02-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #60
Beltonmike
Enthusiast
Beltonmike began at the beginning.

Device: Illumina XL HD
Hi again
Thanks for your quick reply but I'm still struggling. Whenever I hit consolidate I am still getting the same message. It is when I hit consolidate not when I am in the library tab. CALM seems to create the library but doesn't put the book metadata in. The address that is created is c\users\....... \CALM\metadata.db There are also metadata_tools, metadata_backup and an empty text file
Beltonmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibredb, consolidate, genre, tags