Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-31-2014, 04:11 AM   #1
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
REQ: Template for custom column to calc # of Pgs based on traditional counts

UPDATE: See solution as of post #13 on 9/2.

ORIGINAL POST: I've looked through this info. I've managed with some of it, but this part is beyond me right now.

I think I can handle making the column, but I need the FUNCTION string to make it work.
My goal is do a math problem using 1 existing custom column.

I have these 2 columns: #pages and #words
These are populated by the Count Pages plug-in.

However, #pages uses characters to determine the number of pages. I want to be be able to relate to the digital book better based on traditional formatting of printed non-educational and non-art books sized between 5.5in to 6"x9" in English.

I've researched many "facts" and opinions on the average number of words per pages in these traditional printed formats. I've settle on using 300 words per page as my number to determine a page count I can relate to. I'm already familiar with personal reading speed and can relate that to word count, but this would be a really nice feature if someone can help make it happen.
It could also be really helpful to self-publishers.

Essentially, I need a column that does this math: #words/300 and returns the numeric value rounded up if possible.

Can anyone construct this string for my custom column?

Last edited by jecilop; 09-02-2014 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Update
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Zoom level 9 on my PEz: 13 words (as typed, no set length) fit on the screen.

<rant>
When are folk going to give up on old school, fixed layout, printed page counts?
Visible character counts divided by constant 'word size' divided by a constant 'words per page' is a close as you probably will get to a pages of FIXED sized print.

Nothing else is going to be close without the CURRENT device CURRENT settings available.
</rant>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

I'm going to choose not to take offense and assume you actually read the entire request and just missed the point...

This is FOR ME. This is not a dig or complete dissatisfaction with hee character to pages conversion. I change my reader size often and know that it is almost irrelevant in a digital reader age.

This is a RELATABLE number I seek. It's like being a kid and seeing first how thick the book is and then looking at the word size and line spacing.....

As a long time reader, I have a good feel for the size of the books mentioned and how long the type of read is based on that printing and the time and appropriate times I can devote to it. I have gotten much better at this based on word count and knowing my reading speeds.
STILL, it is a QUICK and RELATABLE NUMBER.

It's like English vs. metric systems. I know the math and can do the conversions. But appx 4.8km's isn't as relatable to me as 3 miles. POINT OF VIEW matters.

For those who know this coding far better than I do or can figure out despite my lone attempts, I appreciate their help on what seems like a simple thing for them from which I will learn. I can play with and modify as needed. I will also learn from having an active string and can get better at it myself. I did my homework thoroughly before posting this request.
Forums are informative, but requests for me are last case scenarios. Replies are only when I really know an answer or think I can be helpful. I prefer to think before I post.

Last edited by jecilop; 08-31-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Code:
program:

int(field('#words'))/300
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
jecilop
Addict

Still not working...further help needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Code:
program:

int(field('#words'))/300
Well @eschwartz, I appreciate your help, but I'm apparently completely confused as to how to make the custom column and make this work in it. Any advice? Below is what I've done and a picture of the latest thing I've tried.

I'm using "column built from other columns".
All I get is errors returned in the column or whatever I enter as my "formula" showing in the cell.

I'm confused now. I've looked through the Calibre Template Language page and am now overwhelmed after all of that info and my varied attempts and they are many!!!!

Can you help and provide the correct full string?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_Column template function.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	127646  
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
#words is the assumed field name of the results from running the Count Pages PI that you want to further process into YOUR column
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try entering in this for the template
Code:
program: format_number(divide(field('#words'),300),"{0:5.0f}")
where #words is (as theducks said) the field name containing the number of words/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

general program mode in calibre != python programs

"program:" is how you begin a template in general program mode. copy-paste the whole code box as given, for the template.

I don't think we need to format the number here... so here is a simpler one:

Code:
program:

divide(field('#words'),300)
Old 09-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This thread has been in the wrong sub-forum for several days, someone searching for custom column related threads is unlikely to search in the recipe sub forum

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
This thread has been in the wrong sub-forum for several one days, someone searching for custom column related threads is unlikely to search in the recipe sub forum

BR
You are right. And I know I reported it to be moved yesterday.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You are right. And I know I reported it to be moved yesterday.
You really need to get out more often - first post was 2014-08-31, 18:11, your post 2014-09-02 13:50 - oh I forgot you live in that behind the times country in the far east, never mind

BR
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You really need to get out more often - first post was 2014-08-31, 18:11, your post 2014-09-02 13:50 - oh I forgot you live in that behind the times country in the far east, never mind

BR
Old 09-02-2014, 02:00 AM   #13
jecilop
Addict

Solved!!! and various uses for those who may do this also.

@theducks, I'm not sure if that's a statement or a question. As mentioned before, #words is the lookup name of the referenced column. I'm aware of that. It is accurate.

@PeterT, THANK YOU!!!! That did it. Now I can play with that as needed and change the math or make more columns based on reader familiarity like kids' books vs. adults.

FWIW,
Getting some kids to read digitally is actually tough as they want to compare it to books they feel "confident" about finishing because of the typical printed format. It helps them relate also.
Kids---novel style typically 250 to 300 words per page or less (just review some of your kids' books)
Adult - novel style 325-400 words per page (ex: Dean Koontz paperback)
These are based on actual word counts in multiple books running 4"x7", 5"x8", and 6"x9" with various target audiences and margins and page breaks and line spacing....

I looked over about 10 paperback books with which I'm very familiar and compared typesets and such and word counts to pages since I also have digital copies. The math I'm using works out very well and gives me a good feel for the book "thickness" compared to 4x7 paperbacks with compressed, tightly fitted words and small margins and such which is my preference and seen in most novel paperbacks. 370 turned out to be a good number!. I even tried it on a digital copy of Anne of Avonlea compared to printed and it worked well.

This was a BIG help!
I'm including a picture of the custom column screen for anyone else who wants to set theirs up including some self-publishers who need to determine this kind of information. This picture is based on 370words/pg as above.

I used exactly this in the template field:
program: format_number(divide(field('#words'),370),"{0:5.0f }")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_PagesFunction.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	127649  

Last edited by jecilop; 09-02-2014 at 02:09 AM. Reason: jibberish typos
Old 09-02-2014, 02:18 AM   #14
jecilop
Addict

@BetterRed
I just started the thread yesterday the 31st. Today (your post) is one day later...It hasn't "been here for several days".
Also, this the the best I knew AFTER LOOKING THROUGH THINGS ABOUT CUSTOMIZING columns and what I thought Recipe meant.

If you know a better place and how to get it there, please, let me know.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@jecilop - recipes are about downloading from news sites

But as you're a new member, I cannot expect you to have intimate knowledge of each sub-forum, besides which its easy to inadvertently start a thread in the 'wrong' sub-forum. That's one of the things that moderators get paid for, moving threads to their rightful place .

The time you see on a post is your wall time, the time I see is my wall time, because its not a flat earth what to you looks like yesterday, looks like the day before where I am, I'm 10 hours ahead of UTC, 14 ahead of NYC and 17 ahead of LA.

Its almost Wednesday here

BR

Tags
custom column, math function, page count, solved