Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #676
srichard
srichard began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
All the kepubs I have were bought (none were converted from epubs). So all should be of the right format.
I buy them from Fnac, which is a bookseller associated with Kobo. From what I understood, they share their catalogue of ebooks and their database of customers; however, there has been a problem when synchronising their databases for my account and since then, when I connect to Kobo website (or when I use their desktop app), it does not see my latest purchases. However, when I connect to Fnac website, it sees my purchase and gives me a direct link on Kobo server, which allows me to download it "manually". I then have to transfer it to the device, it is where I use Calibre (I import the kepub to Calibre, then ask Calibre to send it to the device, sometimes after adding or modifying some metadata within Calibre; I did not install any plugin except yours).
The best is that I continue to hope that Fnac and Kobo will finally fix the problem they have acknowledge, so that I can use Kobo desktop app or direct Wi-Fi download again. No need to spend more time on my very specific problem, but if you want an example of my kepub, no problem (some are "purchased" but in fact are free). I will also try your suggestions with Calibre KoboTouchExtended driver.
Thanks again for your help and all your information. I understand better the limits of Calibre with kepubs.

Last edited by srichard; 10-22-2014 at 01:00 PM.
srichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #677
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
First did the compress method but I still got an error, although it was only one and the previous ones were gone. So I did the logout and login method next but when I realised that some of my data, particularly the Reading Stats, were gone, I just decided to go back to my last good backup so that I can still get the stats. It worked but I ended up losing some of my covers but the plugin managed to fix it. Lengthy process but it's all good.
Glad you got it going without to much loss. An alternative to restoring a database backup is the store/restore function. It was the main reason I created the function as I wasn't backing the database up at the time. And I tend to use an occasional factory reset as a reason to clean up the device. I just send unread or partly read books back and restore the reading status of the latter books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #678
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srichard View Post
All the kepubs I have were bought (none were converted from epubs). So all should be of the right format.
I buy them from Fnac, which is a bookseller associated with Kobo. From what I understood, they share their catalogue of ebooks and their database of customers; however, there has been a problem when synchronising their databases for my account and since then, when I connect to Kobo website (or when I use their desktop app), it does not see my latest purchases. However, when I connect to Fnac website, it sees my purchase and gives me a direct link on Kobo server, which allows me to download it "manually". I then have to transfer it to the device, it is where I use Calibre (I import the kepub to Calibre, then ask Calibre to send it to the device, sometimes after adding or modifying some metadata within Calibre; I did not install any plugin except yours).
The best is that I continue to hope that Fnac and Kobo will finally fix the problem they have acknowledge, so that I can use Kobo desktop app or direct Wi-Fi download again. No need to spend more time on my very specific problem, but if you want an example of my kepub, no problem (some are "purchased" but in fact are free). I will also try your suggestions with Calibre KoboTouchExtended driver.
Thanks again for your help and all your information. I understand better the limits of Calibre with kepubs.
FNAC is allowing you to download kepubs? I didn't know that. Are you adding the books to calibre as kepub? If so, I would have expected them to get to the device as a kepub and that the device would be able to get the covers from them. But, maybe they are missing the cover attribute. I'd have to see a book to know for sure.

As to changing the metadata, calibre can't update the metadata or cover in a kepub. As I said before, it's knowledge of kepubs is fairly low.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #679
srichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
FNAC is allowing you to download kepubs? I didn't know that. Are you adding the books to calibre as kepub? If so, I would have expected them to get to the device as a kepub and that the device would be able to get the covers from them. But, maybe they are missing the cover attribute. I'd have to see a book to know for sure.

As to changing the metadata, calibre can't update the metadata or cover in a kepub. As I said before, it's knowledge of kepubs is fairly low.
Yes, Fnac gives me direct link on Kobo server to download ebooks I have bought. If book has DRM, I need to use Adobe Digital Editions to be able to read it. Otherwise, I import it with extension .kepub to Calibre. If I change the title, author, etc. in Calibre, this change is correctly reflected on the Kobo device when Calibre synchronises it (perhaps it is not updated inside the ebook, but at least in the Calibre and Kobo databases I believe).
Old 10-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #680
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yes, Fnac gives me direct link on Kobo server to download ebooks I have bought. If book has DRM, I need to use Adobe Digital Editions to be able to read it. Otherwise, I import it with extension .kepub to Calibre. If I change the title, author, etc. in Calibre, this change is correctly reflected on the Kobo device when Calibre synchronises it (perhaps it is not updated inside the ebook, but at least in the Calibre and Kobo databases I believe).
That sounds as if you are downloading epub format with or without DRM. To convert these to kepub format involves some massaging of the books contents such as wrapping Kobo's spans around each sentence. You can rename them to .kepub.epub and your Kobo ereader will open them with the ACCESS renderer but quite a few kepub features will not work.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #681
srichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That sounds as if you are downloading epub format with or without DRM. To convert these to kepub format involves some massaging of the books contents such as wrapping Kobo's spans around each sentence. You can rename them to .kepub.epub and your Kobo ereader will open them with the ACCESS renderer but quite a few kepub features will not work.
Thanks, but the ebooks I download are already Kobo kepub, that come directly from Kobo website (and I checked they have plenty of kobo spans inside the ebook). The Kobo ereader reads them fine, using the kepub renderer (yes some Kobo features are missing, such as the reading time remaining, but that's OK). It is just the thumbnail for the cover that is not displayed and that I miss a bit (but I can live without that). Probably due to synchronisation with Calibre. Was working fine when I was able to use WiFi or Kobo desktop app to synchronise those files. I didn't useCalibre KoboTouchExtended driver yet, I will have to try that.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #682
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Most of us have never seen the ability to directly download a kepub from Kobo's web site.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #683
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks, but the ebooks I download are already Kobo kepub, that come directly from Kobo website (and I checked they have plenty of kobo spans inside the ebook). The Kobo ereader reads them fine, using the kepub renderer (yes some Kobo features are missing, such as the reading time remaining, but that's OK). It is just the thumbnail for the cover that is not displayed and that I miss a bit (but I can live without that). Probably due to synchronisation with Calibre. Was working fine when I was able to use WiFi or Kobo desktop app to synchronise those files. I didn't useCalibre KoboTouchExtended driver yet, I will have to try that.
I had a quick look at the file you sent me. Firstly, I can confirm to the others that it really is a kepub. It does have the spans and other kepub related artifacts.

What it is missing is the attribute 'properties="cover-image"' for the cover image in the OPF file. Editing the content.opf file in the kepub, and changing the line:

Code:
<item id="img1" href="images/img1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"></item>
to:

Code:
<item id="img1" href="images/img1.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" properties="cover-image"></item>
should let the firmware find the cover image and use it.

I suppose it is time to add the code to calibre to handle the metadata in a kepub. Mostly, it is just subclassing the epub handling, but I think the above needs to be done as well.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:11 AM   #684
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Glad you got it going without to much loss. An alternative to restoring a database backup is the store/restore function. It was the main reason I created the function as I wasn't backing the database up at the time. And I tend to use an occasional factory reset as a reason to clean up the device. I just send unread or partly read books back and restore the reading status of the latter books.
Is that the store/restore bookmark option you are referring to? Does it basically restore the last good backup made by Calibre? I thought that option literally meant restoring only the reading positions of the books and no other data, like the Reading Stats, so I didn't bother trying it out.

Restoring from the last good backup actually did me good as I was able to change my device's affiliate and finally get version 3.8 (I had RakutenBooks as my original affiliate) and get back around 200mb of space, which is a surprise because my Aura had the same amount of books before and after I did it.
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #685
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
Is that the store/restore bookmark option you are referring to? Does it basically restore the last good backup made by Calibre? I thought that option literally meant restoring only the reading positions of the books and no other data, like the Reading Stats, so I didn't bother trying it out.
You are correct in what you thought the store/restore bookmark option does. But, it can be used as a backup method if you are not worried about the reading stats or bookmarks. And, as I said, that is why I created it. It was only after I started working on the function that with a few changes, it could store the book status in a useful way.

My recover from a factory reset method is:

- Do the setup
- Connect to calibre
- Send all books that had not been read or are in progress
- Disconnect and let the device process the books
- Connect to calibre
- Restore reading position for all the books on the device
- Disconnect and start reading

I take a factory reset as a sign I should remove some books from the device.

If something happens to corrupt the database, then I restore the last good backup. And restore the reading position for books that have been read since then.

Quote:
Restoring from the last good backup actually did me good as I was able to change my device's affiliate and finally get version 3.8 (I had RakutenBooks as my original affiliate) and get back around 200mb of space, which is a surprise because my Aura had the same amount of books before and after I did it.
Good that it worked. The affiliate is independent of the database, so it could have been changed at any time. I don't know where the space came from, unless the device cleaned up something when reprocessing any books that didn't match the database. But, if the backup was recent, there shouldn't have been many of these.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 AM   #686
ebookskippy
ebookskippy began at the beginning.

Device: KoboTouch & Aura N514
Getting Shelves

Hi David, i tried to get shelves from device and got this result:.
calibre, version 2.8.0 FEHLER: Nicht abgefangener Fehler: TypeError:can only concatenate list (not &quot;str&quot to list calibre 2.8 isfrozen: True is64bit: False Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE') ('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601') Python 2.7.8 Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free') Successfully initialized third party plugins: SmartEject && Find Duplicates && BOL_NL && EpubMerge && Clipboard Search && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata && Count Pages && Quick Preferences && Goodreads && Import List && Save To Format && KePub Output && User Category && Hyphenate This! && Webscription && Send by RSYNC && Hymn Reader && View Manager && Similar Stories && Quality Check && Beam Ebooks && Author Book Count Hierarchy && EpubSplit && Overdrive Link && Reading List && Extract ISBN && Generate Cover && Medical Reader && Copy Cover To Device && Goodreads Sync && Walk Search History && Author Book Count && Ex Libris && Search The Internet && BOL_DE && Favourites Menu && Annotations && Modify ePub && Manage Series && DOC Input && Recipe Reader && Barnes & Noble && KoboTouchExtended && Wiki Reader && Hello World Plugin && Resize Cover && Kobo Utilities && APNX Generator && Overdrive Link Traceback (most recent call last): File &quot;calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action&quot ;, line 1285, in get_shelves_from_device File &quot;calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action&quot ;, line 3647, in _get_shelves_from_device TypeError: can only concatenate list (not &quot;str&quot to list .
What can I do. Thanks for your advice -Peter- Sorry for the bad formatting ????

Last edited by ebookskippy; 11-06-2014 at 05:00 AM.
ebookskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #687
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

ebookskippy: Could you run calibre in debug mode and post the log? That should show me what is happening.

To run in debug mode, right click the preferences button and select "Run in debug mode". Calibre will restart and display a message about the log. Then connect the device and wait for the connection jobs to run. Then run the shelf fetch. After you get the error, close calibre. It will then show the log. Post the full log for me to look at. Or PM it to me.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #688
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
When I run from a terminal, I get lots of debugging information from this plugin. Was some debug statement accidentally left on or do I have some debug setting enabled? I'm not using calibre-debug, and I only see info from this plugin.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #689
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Are the messages from the jobs the the plugins start? If so, then yes, I left a debug setting enabled. I'll fix that

If it is from elsewhere. then I don't know. Most of the debug logging relies on calibre know if it is in debug mode or not. If you see something that looks like it didn't come from a job, can you post it so I can hunt it down?
Old 11-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #690
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to Kobo Utilities plugin - V1.8.1 - Dismiss tiles fix

I have just updated the plugin to version 1.8.1. There are two small changes:
  • Fix: Added trigger for UPDATE to the Activity table. This should fix the problem where some tiles were not being automatically dismissed.
  • Fix: Change way debug logging is handled in jobs.

Calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. As usual, if there are any problems, please report them here and I will look into.

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities